WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Appalachian Trail 250 million years in the future

http://www.scotese.com/future2.htm

I have a feeling those mountains will be huge. Looks like a new trail will have to be built to connect the Mediterranian Mountains.

Images

Although it's interesting to speculate about such things, I have little faith in such predictions of conditions or events in the distant future. Our time would be better spent dealing with the here and now.

A thread about what created the present Appalachians would be more interesting to me and informative to others who know nothing about plate tectonics or orogenies. It might be an opportunity to recommend books on the subject for those who would rather read than post.

People who post the same thing over and over might devote their time to writing an article and then spend their time hiking or become involved with trail maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Although it's interesting to speculate about such things, I have little faith in such predictions of conditions or events in the distant future. Our time would be better spent dealing with the here and now.

A thread about what created the present Appalachians would be more interesting to me and informative to others who know nothing about plate tectonics or orogenies. It might be an opportunity to recommend books on the subject for those who would rather read than post.

People who post the same thing over and over might devote their time to writing an article and then spend their time hiking or become involved with trail maintenance.
    Well, that's just - like - your opinion, man.

Thanks for the cool illustration.

I did a quick review of Earl Grey's previous posts and didn't find much about this subject, although I didn't go too far back. It doesn't seem like Earl Grey actually posts the same thing over and over. Anyway, it's an interesting post and reminds me of the original Pangea when all the animals--dinosaurs?--started out on one massive continent and ended up thru plate shifting to be scattered all across the world.

Emerald's idea to quit posting this kind of stuff and get off the computer and get out hiking seems out of left field, but what do I know? All I can figure is that he may be offended to know that the earth might be older than 5,000 years? I'm stretching here.

Images

Default Tp

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Emerald's idea to quit posting and get out hiking seems out of left field, but what do I know? All I can figure is that he may be offended to know that the earth might be older than 5,000 years? I'm stretching here.
    You shouldn't stretch, you might hurt yourself and you're way off-base as usual. I'm not offended by the notion that the universe or Earth is older than Genesis suggests to those who take it literally. I've accumulated more than a few credits in geology and studied palaeobotany in some depth.

My comments had nothing to do with oil of bergamot or you. You might want to comb through your own posts especially those about roads in the backcountry. Stop posting and do something is one of the most frequently posted suggestions especially this time of year. There are entire threads devoted to it.

Images

Backpacker Magazine's "Guide to the Appalachian Trail" has some good info on the geology and formation of the different ridges ect of the Appalachians.

Other than that, I don't see why discussing the future is so irritating.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I don't see why discussing the future is so irritating.
    It isn't! I just don't see the point. It's difficult and problematic enough to speculate about what may happen in the short term with climate if you get my drift.

I have better things to do with my time then heckle y'all today. As you were.

Images

Don't believe everything you read on the internet
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    i don't get it.....thats a joke, right?

Images

Good to see Britain and Ireland remain islands unto themselves.

Looks like the epic hike from South America to Asia won't be such a big deal any more though...
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

It's interesting how the map maker postulates that a subduction zone will form off the east coast of North America. Will North America just get tired of drifting west and decide to take its life in another direction? That's kinda arbitrary...

Fun parlor games.

Fun also to note that the continents drift at about the same rate your fingernails grow and the oceans have about the same salt content as blood.
    Hmmmmm.

we'll all be long long gone

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post

Don't believe everything you read in a book
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Default ♫ It happened before; it'll happen again ♫

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin again View Post
    It's interesting how the map maker postulates that a subduction zone will form off the east coast of North America. Will North America just get tired of drifting west and decide to take its life in another direction? That's kinda arbitrary...

Fun parlor games.

Fun also to note that the continents drift at about the same rate your fingernails grow and the oceans have about the same salt content as blood.
    Hmmmmm.

http://www.scotese.com/futanima.htm details the projected sequence. Talk about global climate change! Can't wait.

I know the Web site.
    It still doesn't logically explain why North America is going to drift west, then eastward again like a billiard ball on a table. Why isn't it going to collide with the Asian landmass and fuse into a new continent? Or does it and they just skipped that step?

Objects in motion, like continents, tend to stay in motion, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    we'll all be long long gone
    speak for yourself...I'm immortal
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Stop posting and do something is one of the most frequently posted suggestions especially this time of year. There are entire threads devoted to it.
    Well....I was at Springer , Gooch Gap, Low Gap and also shuttleing hikers around 2 weeks ago. When was the last time you were on the AT? ....probably not within 2 months of YOUR post.

geek

Images

Default More drift

Let's see if we can make this thread about the people who post here instead of ideas and information which enhance the A.T. and journeys on it!

When I last hiked on the A.T. is irrelevant so I won't be providing a date, but someone was way off the mark for what that's worth. This thread isn't about me or when I or anyone else last hiked.

If people think their time well spent discussing trails on mountains yet to be formed, I suggest everyone shut up and let them. I have better things to do with my time, hadn't planned on participating and won't be reponding to another post directed at me.

Back to you Darwin. Weren't you about to explain into the differences between continental and oceanic plates?

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin again View Post
    I know the Web site.
    It still doesn't logically explain why North America is going to drift west, then eastward again like a billiard ball on a table. Why isn't it going to collide with the Asian landmass and fuse into a new continent? Or does it and they just skipped that step?

Objects in motion, like continents, tend to stay in motion, you know.
    just a wild guess here.... but the tectonic plates "float" on "pillows" of magma. The magma in those pillows follow convection currents: cool magma at the surface falls down towards the core while magma from nearer the core rises as it is heated. Kinda like water boiling in those special pots. Anyways, the convection currents can change, changing the direction of the "drift" of the tectonic plate.

or some BS like that.

hey look over there....warrgy is gay.

go ahead and start you own thread and stop whining about this one

You shouldn't stretch, you might hurt yourself and you're way off-base as usual. I'm not offended by the notion that the universe or Earth is older than Genesis suggests to those who take it literally. I've accumulated more than a few credits in geology and studied palaeobotany in some depth.

My comments had nothing to do with oil of bergamot or you. You might want to comb through your own posts especially those about roads in the backcountry. Stop posting and do something is one of the most frequently posted suggestions especially this time of year. There are entire threads devoted to it.
    whine

It isn't! I just don't see the point. It's difficult and problematic enough to speculate about what may happen in the short term with climate if you get my drift.

I have better things to do with my time then heckle y'all today. As you were.
    whine again

Let's see if we can make this thread about the people who post here instead of ideas and information which enhance the A.T. and journeys on it!

When I last hiked on the A.T. is irrelevant so I won't be providing a date, but someone was way off the mark for what that's worth. This thread isn't about me or when I or anyone else last hiked.

If people think their time well spent discussing trails on mountains yet to be formed, I suggest everyone shut up and let them. I have better things to do with my time, hadn't planned on participating and won't be reponding to another post directed at me.

Back to you Darwin. Weren't you about to explain into the differences between continental and oceanic plates?
    whine some more

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++