WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Is the kid crazy?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default 3 month thru-hike?

I am currently in high school and a friend of mine and i are very interested in thru-hiking the AT. We have some hiking experience and lots of running experience (2 entirely different things i know but being fit should help). We want to do the whole trail in the time we have for summer. June 5 or so till August 29 or so between our junior and senior years (so we'll be 17 then) Just under 3 months. Is this feasible? Is it just tha 'im an invincible teensger that can do anything' mindset kicking in? We would train a lot between now and then (almost a year to prepare). If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

You could do it, but it would not be easy. You won't be able to take many rest days and will have to average more than 20 miles a day.

In 2000 Zoom Loco caught up to me at the Connecticut River on the VT/NH border. I started March 7, and he started in Mid-May. It took him about 2 months to get that far. Of course, the toughest part of the trail lies north of that point.

I hiked with (3) different 17 year olds in 2000. If 3 months is all you've got, give it your best shot. You'll have a good time regardless of whether you complete the entire trail.

Jeffrey Hunter
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Default Too many miles, not enough time

That is just my opinion, and it doesn't count since I have not done any hiking on the AT. I think that works out to about 23+ miles per day to complete the entire hike, and if you start at Springer Mtn you will be starting in the hottest months. Your schedule will not allow for zero days for rest, so after awhile that will take a toll. You also won't have time to enjoy yourselves or the scenery much.

I would recommend that you section hike as much of the trail as you can then finish it the next year if possible.That would likely be a more enjoyable experience.

Mile Slave, age 17, hiked the Trail in 2000 in 3 months. Finished about the end of June. He was alone though. Good Luck
    Singletrack

I was 17 when I began my thru-hike in 2000. I graduated early so I could begin my hike in Spring...I wanted plenty of time to enjoy myself and be able to have time to think about my future. Being so young has advantages: resilience among them. I have no doubt that you and your friend will be able to accomplish the trail in 3 months if you feel the same way that I did about my thruhike. For me, it was the most important thing in my life. I couldn't let go of the idea, it consumed me day and night, it was my overriding desire. It never even occured to me, before or during the hike, that I might not finish, eventhough I knew that only about 10% of those who begin a thruhike actually complete it. Other people quit...not me.

If this is how you feel, you will have no problems accomplishing your goals. If you are somewhat hesitant, or don't immediately identify with the above, you may want to reconsider, or at least think your decision through carefully and fully.

Hiking the trail in 3 months means an average of 23.5 miles each and every day. If you want to be able to rest one day per week, you'll have to up that to nearly 28 miles per day. Can it be done? Absolutely. It has been done many times in the past by other hikers. It will require absolute dedication and perserverance however.

You have one year to prepare for your journey. In this time, I would recommend strongly that you frequent this website and other applicable web boards to learn all you can. Go ahead and purchase Dan Bruce's Thru-hiker's Handbook (this will give you mile-by-mile trail information as well as information about towns, resupply, etc all for about $10). I would also strongly suggest that you research and invest only in lightweight gear. While no gear will make or break your hike, using the lightest gear that you can while maintaining a safety margin will help you in your goal.

You can even make much of your own equipment, at a fraction of the cost of their retail counterparts. Stuffsacks, rain covers, pack liners, tarps, hammocks, sleeping quilts, packs, rain jackets, rain pants, insulated jackets, fleece hat, fleece mittens, etc, etc, etc can all be made with varying degrees of difficulty. I've made most of these items myself, and even contributed a down quilt design (weighing 17oz) to the make-your-own cause.

If you want it...make it happen.

-Howie

thanks very much to all who replied so quickly to my post, i will most certainly be looking through this site and other resources for information over the next year. again, thanks, having the opinions and knowledge of those who know something about it all really helps.

Default Good Post Howie

Listen to Howie. I think he is right on the money.

I'll be attempting the trail next year and have about 99 days to get it done. I'm not young and spry, but I think I've got a few more good efforts in me and I want this one pretty bad.

Go for it. Life is short. You may have many opportunities to thruhike in the future, but you never know maybe next year will be the only chance you get.

Default Possible, but Unlikely

I don't know you and your friend. There's certainly a chance you can do it, but the odds are very high though that you won't make it.

Perhaps 80% of the people who plan to finish the trail don't make the whole thru-hike. Most of those folks have a heck of a lot more time on their hands, too.

You are shooting for about 25.2 miles a day AVERAGE. That's with NO rest days, NO injury days, NO family emergency days, etc.

86 days is a very, very fast thru-hike. Sure, there are a few folks that have done it.

It took Ray Jardine and his wife 2 months and 28 days or about 88 days. They were expert hikers in great shape pushing to cover miles. (if you don't know who Ray Jardine is, look him up.)

The odds say that any individual won't complete a thru-hike.
    Hiking at that VERY fast speed reduces your odds dramatically.
    BOTH of you completing a thru-hike at that pace is even more unlikely.

Possible? Absolutely. but statistically, here's my take on the odds of completing your thru-hike that fast. The percentages aren't gospel, by any means, but I think they're ballpark.
    One succeeding (all things being equal) about 20%
    BOTH succeeding (all things being equal) about 4% (20% x 20%)
    One making it that fast, about 2%
    Odds of both of you making the hike that fast, about .04% (2% x 2%)

Maybe you can beat those odds. There are people that could. I guess we all think we'll beat the odds, or we wouldn't tackle the trail, would we?

Journal Entries
    Images

Default 3 months...NO WAY...WAY?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I am currently in high school and a friend of mine and i are very interested in thru-hiking the AT. We have some hiking experience and lots of running experience (2 entirely different things i know but being fit should help). We want to do the whole trail in the time we have for summer. June 5 or so till August 29 or so between our junior and senior years (so we'll be 17 then) Just under 3 months. Is this feasible? Is it just tha 'im an invincible teensger that can do anything' mindset kicking in? We would train a lot between now and then (almost a year to prepare). If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Joseph8806

well you asked for advice/opinions...heres my 2 pennies worth...

first, anything is POSSIBLE...but, like many posters have said...you're missing what is the most important for most "thru-hikers" the "people" experiences, the blue blaze trips to the TRAIL TOWNS...& hell, thats just a whole butt-load of miles for anybody to do...less than 20% of those hikers that start @ Springer...summit Katahdin....& those guys are taking breaks, zero days, etc.,etc.

if you guys do this super thru hike in your alotted time...maybe in 10 or 20 years or so...you can go back & do another "thru" & then take your time & smell the roses, the pink lady slippers, the wild iris, the rhododendron, etc., etc., etc., the things you'll surely miss on this trip!

good luck on your SPEEDY adventure!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Yea......3 Months. Good Luck! Odds are you both won't make it......Changes are neither will make it......too much pressure, with big miles, no rest, no injury, no reason to get off. It will be extreamly tough. Lot's of guys make it in 3 months, every year some do. It just might work for you, but you better be in the best condition of your life, motivated, and have a great game plan, or you just won't get there. The one thing that makes it very difficult is the unpredictable 'unknown variables'. These are things that no-body predicts will happen, but invariably do.....so, get yourselves ready, follow the Whiteblaze.net.....and Good Speed Hiking! KZ@
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

Images

Default 3 mo. hike

I can be done but you must be in great physical shape and have some mountain conditioning under your belt. Knowing that you guys are runners makes me feel a little more confident. But you really didn't say what kind of running you do. If it is trail/ultra-marathon running that you do, that will make it more likely for you to finish. If it is just 5 Ks, 10 Ks or 10 milers, I don't give you a lot of hope. If you do a supported run/hike (like David Horton did), then it can be much easier.

I suspect your biggest problems will be with your feet. The AT has some extremely rocky terrain in places that can not only brutalize unconditioned feet, but can literally tear apart running shoes or boots. You may also run into problems with your knees. The constant day to day use of your ankle/knee joints can lead to over use injuries (tendonitis). Even good conditioned hikers occasionally take a zero day (or a few short days) to obtain minor rebuilding of the body.

You will need to go very light too which can be risky with rapidly changing weather. There are times you will be sweltering and within a couple of hours, shivering because of a cold rain or thunderstorm. Eating well is a key ingredient to success. You will be burning thousands of calories a day.

I could go on, but do not want to discourage you. With that said, as I was section hiking this year, a young man in great physical shape (trail name - Boy Wonder) was doing close to what you want to do. He was in Massachusetts the 2nd week in May and was expecting to complete in late June. I believe he said he started in late March. He was doing 30 mile days through the easy sections of CT and MA. He carried no tent (only a bivy) and had a 40 degree down bag that weighed about 1.2 pounds, no water filter (treatment tablets), and when I first saw him with that small pack, I thought he was a day hiker! He had running shoes on.

Bottom line is that it can be done, but the odds are stacked against you. It would be great if you could let us know how you made out and how far you made it. I admire your attempt to try it. Good Luck!

Just John

Images

Thumbs up Lessons from Bumble Bees and Invincible Teenage Hikers

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    ...Is it just tha 'im an invincible teensger that can do anything' mindset kicking in?...
    You know, if the bumble bee knew any better, it couldn't fly, because it violates the laws of aerodynamics. So, the idea that you can do something,-- as opposed to the idea that you can't,-- lets the bumble bee fly and literally has moved mountains too.

So, ... go for it!

Having said that, I also say go for it because you can't possibly fail. If you hike half the trail, gee wiz, you've succeeded vastly beyond anyone gave up and didn't take step. You'll have memories for a lifetime of what you did do while an invincible teenager. And, you can always finish later and/or do another thru attempt as a wiser, more experienced backpacker.

Have a blast with your friend, and all the others you will make on the trail.

Rain Man

Images

HIt the trail!! You have 3 months to be out on the A.T., I say go for it. Even if you don't finish, you get to spend 3 months on the AT!! Think of the stories you can tell your grandkids...
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

American Idiot
    Images

Yeah, go for it. You never know your limits until you dream big and push them. Enjoy your time on the trail, whether you make it or not. I think you can do it though, so good luck.

Default Maybe this will give you a better idea...

what it's like in the real world, beyond theory, beyond reaching for the stars, beyond impersonal statistics.

Take a few evenings and start reading through Trail Journals. See what people thought the trail would be like, see what people actually experienced, and see how their hikes ended up. Click on "stats" to see how fast they were going. Then see how many hiker pairs have hiked the trail as fast as you are planning to hike it. See how many individuals in ALL those journals have hiked the trail that fast. That should be a good dose of reality.

Trail Journals

Why not just say you're going to spend a summer on the Appalachain Trail, and take things as they come, and if you happen to complete the trail, great!? How about a trip down the Yukon River or a bike trip across the U.S. or 3 months hiking in the Rockies?

Images

If you want to do it bad enough. Go for it.
    If you do not make the entire thing you will still have a great summer.
    Between high school and college you can always do it again.
    What would the harm be if you end up needing more time and miss out on a couple of weeks of school in August ?
    Talk to the people at your school. There have been people that hiked the trail and ended up getting school credit for it. Phys. Ed., History.
    Maybe you can work something out with your school and write a paper about your experience when you return in August/September.
    Are your parents behind you on this ?

Images

I basically agree with a lot of what has been posted. Sure you COULD do it if you dedicate yourself to making the milage and keeping up a very serious pace. To do it right you would probably want to start with lower milage days and gently break your body into doing 24 mile days, but that would also require you to make up that time later by eventually doing some 30 mile days to maintain the average. Starting off fast before you get your trail legs can cause injury before your hike really gets going.

On the other hand, why not just start heading north (or south) and just go as long as you can by doing the miles you want and enjoying breaks as you feel. You may eventually push up the mileage and even make it in three months, but if you don't then OK. Just get the most you can out of your hike in the time you have, then you can always come back the following summer and finish up if you wish.

I guess it boils down to are you dead set on having to do a thru-hike, or do ou want to have a good hike? I'm not saying you can't have a good time pushing a thru-hike in three months, maybe you can. But maybe trying to live up to a tight scheduel will also spoil your ossible enjoyment.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Default Give it a try, but be flexible!

I agree with most of the posts. You should DEFINITELY give it a try and see how far you get. If you decided that the mileage is too much, back off, and just hike as far as you can. You'll love it any which way! You can always go back and finish what you have left the next summer...

Gravity Man

Default Highly unlikely

Hiking every day with no days off is 25 miles per day every day.

Hiking 6 days a week, with 1 day of rest, which is much more likely than the above scenario, would require 29 miles each hiking day.

That pace is impossible for the vast majority of hikers.

Images

Default very feasible...

joseph8806,
    Based on the fact that you and your friend are 17 and in excellent shape, I would say that you will be able to handle the physical aspect of hiking 25 miles per day on average. The real challenge is the mental one of putting in the mileage day in and day out.

There are about 14 hours of daylight from 6am to 8pm. Hiking 10 of those hours at a 2.5 mile/hour pace will get you to 25 miles/day. This sounds very possible to me.

Max Patch points out that your more likely scenario would be to take 1 zero day per week. I don't agree with this. In order to maintain a 25mile/day average, you should limit or even completely eliminate your zero days. Your 10-15 mile days will be your "rest" days. Besides, you'll have plenty of time to rest when your thru hike is over.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++