Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Default Where did you learn self-arrest...

and any of the other miscellaneous techniques you'd need on the PCT? Are they even necessary? Self-arrest seems kind of straight forward, but do I need a course in it?

Images

Well I think it has something to do with hand cuffs.

Images

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by snowhoe View Post
    Well I think it has something to do with hand cuffs.
    You beat me to it

Images
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by buff_jeff View Post
    and any of the other miscellaneous techniques you'd need on the PCT? Are they even necessary? Self-arrest seems kind of straight forward, but do I need a course in it?
    It would be a good idea to practice it, you need a steep bowl of firm spring snow with a safe runnout at the bottom, IE, no big rocks or ledges. You might be able to watch videos and figure it out but a knowledgeable coach would be best.

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

No, No, No. You have to practice on a steep hillside with lots of boulders and trees. Keep the training real.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Reprobate View Post
    No, No, No. You have to practice on a steep hillside with lots of boulders and trees. Keep the training real.
    Watch out for the 1000 foot cliff
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

I've tried it a number of times but get bored sitting in the back of my car waiting for someone to drive me to the police station. . .

Images

I learned it in the Marine Corps and used it (and taught it) with NOLS. From what I hear of PCT'ers, an ice axe generally isn't a necessity. Of course there ARE better-than-nothing techniques for self arrest without an axe (elbows and toes kicking like all get out).

With or without an ice axe, practice it before you need it.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

AT 2012

you need this skill to score well on the heavily viewed Rate Your Hiking Ability thread. and the ice axe.
    Lazarus

Not everyone carries ice axes, but being able to self arrest has saved more than a few PCT hikers from serious injury or worse.

I had set up a time to learn from a guy at a ski slope in PA but we never got together. As mentioned above, a save run out is a good place to practice if you've read or seen the basics.

Images

Default practice on a roof.

with a long handled straight claw hammer in a metal hammer hook on your belt. climb to the peak of a roof (12-12 to 8-12 is best) as you slide down roof, with one hand on the hammer head and other on handle you DRIVE it through the roof sheathing. practice makes perfect.
    PS i repair roofs in the Tri-State Area 1-800-GOTLEAKS
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Since it's not likely you will have an ice axe to do a classic self arrest, the best you can do is roll on your belly and drag the handles of your trecking poles into the snow. Hope the snow has some give to it and isn't icy. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy the ride for ever long it lasts...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Read The Mountaneers "Freedom of the Hills".
    You can learn self arrest on steep snow covered side slabbed hills. On less steep sections that are not long runs, you can try with your trekking poles, but if you are carrying an ice axe, it is best that you learn how to use it properly.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

A couple of the hikers who went through the Sierras at the time we did had to self-arrest.

I've never take a course or done any serious practice, but I've had to carry an ice axe on both the CDT and PCT and have ended up using the ice axe both when I fell and on a long butt slide down Forester Pass. I learned the basics out of the Mountaineers book. Mostly I just use the axe to stay stable so I don't fall and don't need to self-arrest. If I'm on a steep slope, I dig the point in with every step. Most of the time that works, but it's slow. My falls were short ones where I got careless because it wasn't that far down. Twice the point held and I stopped - once it didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Since it's not likely you will have an ice axe to do a classic self arrest....
    Why do you say that? There's quite a few PCT hikers that carry ice axes.

Black Diamond also makes a hiker pole called the Whippet with a claw

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    with a long handled straight claw hammer in a metal hammer hook on your belt. climb to the peak of a roof (12-12 to 8-12 is best) as you slide down roof, with one hand on the hammer head and other on handle you DRIVE it through the roof sheathing. practice makes perfect.
    PS i repair roofs in the Tri-State Area 1-800-GOTLEAKS
    Now that is some funny stuff, so true, so true! When your a$$ is on the line, you'll at least try to figure it out.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Not everyone carries ice axes, but being able to self arrest has saved more than a few PCT hikers from serious injury or worse.

I had set up a time to learn from a guy at a ski slope in PA but we never got together. As mentioned above, a save run out is a good place to practice if you've read or seen the basics.
    If you fall on steep glare ice you accelerate at something like 32 feet per second per second -- or something like that. My memory of physics is getting rusty.

But that means that quite quickly that one will be sliding so fast that attempts at self arrest will just pull your axe or ski pole out of your hands. It helps to practice so that your attempts at self arrest happen quickly -- like almost instantaneously.

There are a few things that are wise to learn and practice if you expect to do much winter hiking on icy sidehills.

Back when I spent many weekends each winter messing around on the slopes of Katahdin, our leader insisted that we carry ice axes, and know how to use them. I'm getting a bit rusty now. But luckily I don't do much winter climbing on Katahdin any more.

Weary

Glissading is fun! But you don't want to do it without an ice axe, that's for sure. We taught ourselves. It's pretty obvious if you read a description of it and get out on a steep, safe place and give it a try.

On a side note, it always surprises me when I'm crossing a snow field how I feel completely comfortable until I'm about 1/2 way across, and then I realize I REALLY need to get my axe out. Something out being close to the edge that gives you a false sense of security. Think before you get in over your head.

Gravity

Don't carry an ice ax unless you know how to use it. It can be very dangerous if used wrong.

Having said that....learn how to use one! It could well save your life some day. It will also help you build confidence and safety on snow/ice.

Self arresting is something easy in theory, but in practice you need your body reacting before your brain goes "Oh crap!". So do it over and over and over and over! Practice often as you have a good hill and snow around.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++