WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default Paul C.Wolfe Shelter

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Paul C.Wolfe Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

The Paul C. Wolfe Shelter is an easy 5-mile walk south of Rockfish Gap. Most NOBO thru-hikers will be tempted to fly by in order to get into Waynesboro for the night, but this is a shame. The shelter is fairly new and well designed with bunks, in a nice setting close to a rushing stream. Not sure where the privy is located. Water comes from the stream, and it may be possible to take a dip in one of the pools further downstream (it was only 40 degrees when we stopped for a quick break before pushing on to Maupin Field Shelter 16 miles to the south).

There was a list of phone number for Waynesboro trail angels who will provide shuttles into town from Rockfish Gap.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

In June of 2003 there was a resident goat who was quite a pest.

The shelter is of a great design, double decker with the top layer in a U shape and with windows near the back to let light in.
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

Default Paul C. Wolfe Shelter

We stayed a night at this shelter when section-hiking last summer (2003). It is a very nice shelter as stated above. The privy is located at the top of a hill behind the shelter. The greatest part about this shelter is the stream. About 100 yards downstream there is a waterfall with a pool. It's a great place to relax at the end of the day. It's also about 5 miles into Waynesboro. If you have a mail-drop in Waynesboro, you can stop at this shelter and stay for free, get a decent waterfall shower, and then get up early the next day and make it into town around the time the PO opens.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Admin
    Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Paul C.Wolfe Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?
    I walked from Rusty's to Paul Wolfe shelter-17 miles or so-in the rain last year. A steady, solid rain, and no stops to eat a dry lunch between the previous shelter and Paul Wolfe-16 miles or so. Just kept on trucking, grabbing some bars to eat and pushing on. Made great time-very surprised to come up on the shelter as soon as I did. I was the only one at the shelter. Put on my long underwear even though it was July 3rd and got some well earned rest.

It was all worth it when I did the 5 into Rockfish the next day, and got picked up by my cousin's grandparents, who took me into Charlottesville, where I got to take a warm bath in a big tub with a Yuengling to drink. Then a free dinner at a tremendous restaurant-softshell crab tempura as an appetizer followed by trout stuffed with andoullie sausage and crayfish. Certainly to be a Lipton Meal anytime now!

Bear Magnet

Images

I will be staying there in 2 weeks, hiking from Dripping rock to Afton. Will give an update when I get back.

Whatever you do, do not even think about staying there mid October. We tried to and were met with a regiment of boy scouts. About 20 of them commandeered the shelter and the rest took advantage of practically every square foot of almost level ground. We managed though.

Images

I have had that happen at several shelters in Virginia from time to time. One time this happened at the Priest Shelter and we, 8 of us, ended up kicking them and their tents(which they had set up) out. The kids did not like it but their scout leader came over and agreed with us and helped them to move.

This is a well designed shelter. I like the picnic table being under the roof. The stream was the only one I saw that was flowing in this drought we have been going through here in Virginia.

Didn't stay there but it struck me as VERY nice. Nicely built and nicely sited. The stream was flowing nicely, a month ago (Sept. 7.)

i had done a 30 into that shelter so i could get into waynesboro the next day!

-Pusher

Quote Originally Posted by dmb658 View Post
    i had done a 30 into that shelter so i could get into waynesboro the next day!

-Pusher
    Wow! That had to include the big climb up out of the Tye River, since it would only be about 20 from Rusty's to the shelter.

Must be great to be 18...

Images

staying there this upcoming monday the 2nd. will give an update.

It was a nice shelter to eat lunch at but I just came out of Waynesboro SB and it wasn't half enough miles to quit for the day. Definitely one of the nicer shelters. Way past 'shelter creep' but that doesn't bother me. There are plenty of older 6 person shelters still around for now.

Default Very nice shelter

Tented near the shelter on Saturday, June 21st with 3 friends. The shelter was in good shape and very clean. The stream in front of the shelter was flowing steadily.

On the way down to the shelter, we met 7 members from the Old Dominion Appalachian Trail Club (ODATC). They told us that they had just moved a gray timber rattler off of the trail and that they had just finished working on the privy at the shelter. Thanks ODATC!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    The Paul C. Wolfe Shelter is an easy 5-mile walk south of Rockfish Gap. Most NOBO thru-hikers will be tempted to fly by in order to get into Waynesboro for the night, but this is a shame. The shelter is fairly new and well designed with bunks, in a nice setting close to a rushing stream. Not sure where the privy is located. Water comes from the stream, and it may be possible to take a dip in one of the pools further downstream (it was only 40 degrees when we stopped for a quick break before pushing on to Maupin Field Shelter 16 miles to the south).

There was a list of phone number for Waynesboro trail angels who will provide shuttles into town from Rockfish Gap.
    I will be up in the north district so wont cross paths with you folks. Be safe.

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeremesh View Post
    I will be up in the north district so wont cross paths with you folks. Be safe.
    That post was written 9 years ago.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Images

Default It was a cold weekend at the shelter

A group of us from ODATC went up to the shelter this weekend. No snow or ice on the trail, but the streams were partially frozen. It was 23 degrees on Saturday during the day and about 15 degrees on the overnight. Yet, there was another group from Richmond at the shelter as well. Busy place!
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mad4scrapping View Post
    Busy place!
    well, it is such an aesthetically pleasing shelter at an even more beautiful spot!
    one of my favorites, and so close to home!
    i always avoid PWS on weekends

I spent the night at the shelter last Oct. and it was great. I found good comany, and plenty of water. Had some trail magic from some day hikers who left us enough chicken to feed an army. It was my first night of a 6 day trip and it was a awesome start. And you got to love a privy with a commanding view!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++