WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Commercial Posts - Terms of Use Violation?

gdoit3 has posted a commercial post advertising gear in the

• Homemade Gear Forum.
    • the Ulta-Light Hikers Forum,
    • General Gear Talk, and
    • Thru-Hiker Classes.

These are his total 4 posts. Seems this is a violation of the WB Usage agreement:

#6. No commercial posts are allowed, and spam is forbidden in both forums and private messages.

I mention this b/c I'd hate to see the forums become a marketplace. Slippery slope....rules are there for a reason.

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

Were any of these reported?
    Papa John

Yes they were. And it is much better to use this button located in the upper right hand corner of every post to report the posts instead of starting threads like this or even posting on the threads in question. That way an email is sent to the moderators & administrators of the site who notifying them that action is needed.

There are WAY too many posts made on this site for them to be able to possibly read every single post anymore. This is a way for us to help them out. I know exactly how much they will appreciate it. So it that button and tell them about the spam posts, just like I did.

Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter View Post
    Yes they were. And it is much better to use this button located in the upper right hand corner of every post to report the posts instead of starting threads like this or even posting on the threads in question. That way an email is sent to the moderators & administrators of the site who notifying them that action is needed.
    I have to disagree, Dixicritter. When you use that report button, you NEVER, EVER hear back from anyone. Heck, you don't even know who your report goes to. Is it one person? Two? ALL of them? And, unless you somehow make notes about the post, and go back and back and back to "police" it yourself, you never, ever know if your report was ignored, rejected, acted upon, discussed, or what. IMHO, it is a rude way to neglect the GOOD members of WB who see a problem post and report it. They are totally slighted. Just my opinion and experience. I still sometimes report posts, but it is usually with a sign and an "alas," wondering if it really does any good. The current system is just a big black hole.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I have to disagree, Dixicritter. When you use that report button, you NEVER, EVER hear back from anyone. Heck, you don't even know who your report goes to. Is it one person? Two? ALL of them? And, unless you somehow make notes about the post, and go back and back and back to "police" it yourself, you never, ever know if your report was ignored, rejected, acted upon, discussed, or what. IMHO, it is a rude way to neglect the GOOD members of WB who see a problem post and report it. They are totally slighted. Just my opinion and experience. I still sometimes report posts, but it is usually with a sign and an "alas," wondering if it really does any good. The current system is just a big black hole.

RainMan

Probably because you use it more than anyone else in the history of WB.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

When you use that report button, you NEVER, EVER hear back from anyone. Heck, you don't even know who your report goes to. Is it one person? Two? ALL of them? And, unless you somehow make notes about the post, and go back and back and back to "police" it yourself, you never, ever know if your report was ignored, rejected, acted upon, discussed, or what.
    In the case noted in post #1, it was Ice Age and Cuffs for the first three, and Troll and MOWGLI for the last one. Scroll to the bottom of the forum and the moderators are listed.
    If you see a post that needs an alert, hit that alert icon! And if you have a question about moderation, ask a moderator.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

RainMan

OK I'll bite, but only because you addressed this specifically to me. As I stated in my previous post the mods and admin can in no way read every post, so therefore, exactly how do you expect them to respond to every report, pm, and whatnot they get from all the members here? There are over 20,000 of us now you do realize that right?

Once a post is reported what happens to it is out of our hands and left up the those that are in charge. It is not up to you or I to make that call. So stop stressing over it and let them do their thankless jobs in peace.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Probably because you use it more than anyone else in the history of WB.

Well that confirmed my suspicions.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Images

RainMan

It honestly never occurred to me to respond back to those who report posts. I never thought of it as a two-way form of communicaton, but as a way to give a heads-up to someone that can do something. By the time I notice an email of a reported post , it is usually already cleaned up (if necessary), so the system works quickly.

Be assured, your reported posts are received and acted upon much faster than by hoping a mod or admin stumbles onto the problem.

Journal Entries
    Images

The system works - And feedback isn't necessary.

It's the explosions, radioactive fallout, and good folks who never come back, appears to be an issue.

And the one time I reported an advertising post - I didn't know who it was, and got my butt chewed off because he was well liked.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Gee, I never noticed those icons. Thanks Dixicritter!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    It honestly never occurred to me to respond back to those who report posts. I never thought of it as a two-way form of communicaton, but as a way to give a heads-up to someone that can do something. By the time I notice an email of a reported post , it is usually already cleaned up (if necessary), so the system works quickly.

Be assured, your reported posts are received and acted upon much faster than by hoping a mod or admin stumbles onto the problem.
    I NEVER respond back to those who report posts and I'm not going to change that. The Report Post function is most definitely like a suggestion box. It is a way for members to help moderators and administrators locate potential problem posts or threads. Speaking from my experience, not every reported post gets moderated (for various reasons) and not every post I moderate is reported.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy5280 View Post
    Gee, I never noticed those icons. Thanks Dixicritter!
    Glad to be of service.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    I NEVER respond back to those who report posts and I'm not going to change that. The Report Post function is most definitely like a suggestion box. It is a way for members to help moderators and administrators locate potential problem posts or threads. Speaking from my experience, not every reported post gets moderated (for various reasons) and not every post I moderate is reported.
    Ditto. I often get up early in the morning, and find spam posts on threads I'm not the moderator for. I hit the report icon, so the moderators of whatever forums can take care of it next time they check it. It had never occurred to me to expect a response to my report. There's plenty of clutter on Whiteblaze already.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I find that the site is well moderated. My only problem is that some are so quick to take issue concerning comments that hit them the wrong way or something they have strong opposite opinions. One way to move one , is a simple click of a key or mouse. Treat others the way you want to be treated will have exceptional results, on line or elsewhere.

My hat is off to those who do a "thankless job" of seeking to keep a diverse bunch as WB members on the straight path.
    J D Cool

++ New Posts ++