WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Mt Greylock Conditions

I'm going to be visiting some friends out in western Ma this weekend. Amd I was wonder what Mt Greylock's conditions were? There still any snow? Blowdowns? ETC.

Curious myself, if you head up, let us know.

Wasn't on Greylock but was on the Taconic Crest Trail (1800'-2200') about 20 miles from Greylock this past weekend. Still some patches of snow in the shady areas on the north faces, plenty of mud. Probably the most notable thing was the amount of blowdown - courtesy of a bad ice storm that came thorugh the area in December. Trails were still passable but in sections things were slow going.

Hey Andy, where're you from??

Quote Originally Posted by BostonAndy View Post
    I'm going to be visiting some friends out in western Ma this weekend. Amd I was wonder what Mt Greylock's conditions were? There still any snow? Blowdowns? ETC.
    There are a lot of blowdowns, but you're 24. Just bring a small folding saw and help everyone out. Thank you in advance.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Hey Andy, where're you from??
    From Someville now Stoneham

There are a lot of blowdowns, but you're 24. Just bring a small folding saw and help everyone out. Thank you in advance.
    I will. Just need to find the thing.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

You'll see snow, but most likely not a whole lot, and what you find will be easy to walk on.

Images

Default mt greylock cond.

just do it man!been their and done it!hike it,hike itky

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    This post has inspired me. I'm planning a 4 day trip on the AT this weekend and will bring a saw w/ me.

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    This post has inspired me. I'm planning a 4 day trip on the AT this weekend and will bring a saw w/ me.
    i'd help but the Masters tounament is that weekend. i'll be glued to the tube

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i'd help but the Masters tounament is that weekend. i'll be glued to the tube
    you be careful now

Default Trail condition update Greylock area

Hiked Berlin Mountain (2800 ft) earlier today, about 10 miles WNW of Greylock.

We got some snow here Saturday night, about 2-4" on the hill. Nothing major, everything do-able, even on the steep slopes. Nothing to stay home over.

Here's a pic taken earlier today of Greylock as viewed from Berlin mountain.

Images

Didn't get to hike this past weekend. Friend's showing ended up being to long and had no energy. But will try again in 2 weeks.

AT south up to the summit is trampable. There is still snow/ice (12 inches at points) and considerable blow-downs that will knock you off the trail momentarily at times- but nothing impassable. It was pretty slick (and wet) saturday morning after the rain but nothing caution, proper footware and trekking poles cant handle.

++ New Posts ++