WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Harpers Ferry???

Does anyone think a food drop in Harpers Ferry is necessary?

You'll probably figure out a way to get to the supermarkets out in nearby Charles Town, but then again, maybe you won't. A small drop sent to the ATC office (and not the Post Office) might not be such a bad idea.

Then again, the Outfitter has a small food section, and there's probably enough there to get you into Maryland where you'll find several small markets near the Trail.

Thanks

Across the river in Maryland is Sandy Hook Grocery: 301-834-8353, 18952 Sandy Hook Rd. Map

Himes Store, north of Weverton at 1324 Weverton Rd. 301-834-9815 Map

Himes Store is down the mountain from the Ed Garvey Shelter. There is a gated access road that begins about 35 yards north of Himes store and extends about 3/4 mile uphill to the AT. The junction w/ the AT is about 1/4 mile south of shelter.
    It isn't marked and is a little concealed but if you're looking for it you'll probably see it.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Garlic
    Images

I don't think so. I stopped at the gas station/C-store at a road crossing just south of HF for a few pounds of junk food, ate BBQ and ice cream in HF, then hiked to the Free State Hostel and got a ride to the grocery in town there.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++