WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Pack Covers Are They Necessary?

Why? Doesn't the pack work enough, come on folks I see them all the time on the trail. <CUT>. Everything in my pack is in a stuff sack or in plastic or foil... If you were really worried a cheap disposable 40 gal garbage bag would do.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-05-2009 at 00:01. Reason: Toned it down,, sorry bad day.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

okay so was this a callout to tell people with pack covers that it is stupid and unnecessary or are you legitimately asking if they are necessary. Personally, unless your stuff sacks are seam sealed, the stuff in them will get wet eventually, if you're walking in rain for long enough. A pack cover can help to keep the pack and items in it dry, for at least some duration.

sure, when you're walking in a cloud of mist in the whites for 7 hours, anything not sealed in a water-tight bag is going to be wet. but a summer thundershower or 2 hours of rain in the evening, a pack cover can help to keep things over-all drier.

Journal Entries
    Images

"legitimately asking"

My tone of writing might be a little off today, I have just been delt with som really bad news.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

They are a good idea if you belive in using more than one barrier as a system to ensure things stay dry in case one barrier fails. Zip-locks get holes, pack covers get holes, liners get holes, seams strech etc.

Put stuff in sil-nylon stuff sacks. Put those stuff sacks in a pack liner. Put the pack in a pack cover.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

One factor is how much you carring in the pack, vs. how much you carry outside the pack, in mesh pockets or strapped on or whatever. With lower volume light weight packs I find I carry more now external to the pack. OTOH, some of this doesn't matter if it gets wet (water bottle for example), and other such items are sometimes in a ziplock bag anyway, for dirt as well as wet.

Another factor is just how much you care if the pack fabric itself gets wet --- weight added, and perhaps you like to keep your pack inside your tent/shelter (perhaps as leg/foot padding).

I personally bring a pack cover along occasionally on day hikes if I'm not bringing a poncho, but on backpacking trips I almost always use a poncho so it's a moot point for me.

Journal Entries
    Images

well we are on the same page as a lightweight poncho would cover you and the pack, and I do pack things like Sgt Rock, so I am still thinking the few ounces should be invested in a UL water carrier or the poncho

Woo

Images

I use a packa for rain jacket and cover. It has the benifits of a jacket when it comes to wind, cold weather, blowing rain - and the benifits of a poncho with cover and ventilation.

I use a trash compactor bag for a liner. One has lasted for hundreds of miles. I cannot say the same for some trash bags I have tried.

Sil nylon for all my stuff sacks. Things that it doesn't matter if they get wet stay outside the sil-nylon and the liner. They do get some protection with the packa.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Ponchos are a P.I.T.A. to put on and get it to cover the pack adequately. I've used them in the past and hated the hassle. Have also been asked several times by total strangers If I would help them pull the poncho into the proper position, usually after they have been walking for a ways getting wet.

Pack covers are not indispensable, but for about 3 oz, add another level of protection for your gear. I use one along with plastic bags. In over 30 years of backpacking, I've never gotten my "dry" clothes or sleeping bag wet while they were packed. Personally, if it ain't broke, no need to fix it. I'll continue to use plastic bags and a pack cover.

I use trash compactor bag to line the bag, silnylon stuff sacks and a pack cover and have had no issues with wet gear...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Ponchos are a P.I.T.A. to put on and get it to cover the pack adequately. I've used them in the past and hated the hassle. Have also been asked several times by total strangers If I would help them pull the poncho into the proper position, usually after they have been walking for a ways getting wet.
    You may want to look at the Packa http://www.thepacka.com/

It keeps itself straight.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

some packs are made of material that holds lots of water, and holds it for a long time. this is why i use a pack cover (3 oz cordura nylon)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post

Pack covers are not indispensable, but for about 3 oz, add another level of protection for your gear. I use one along with plastic bags. In over 30 years of backpacking, I've never gotten my "dry" clothes or sleeping bag wet while they were packed. Personally, if it ain't broke, no need to fix it. I'll continue to use plastic bags and a pack cover.
    If you plan to go the poncho route, save yourself a lot of trouble and get yourself a packa... It works pretty well, and offers better warmth and ventilation than a standard poncho.. Works well on open groomed trails. I did add some velcro tabs on the back of the packa so I can bunch up the extra material when worn without the pack...

Images

Packas rule! I thought they were stupid until my gf got one. After watching her use it for the last year I've developed a strong case of Packa envy. Say what you will, but I'm buying one very soon.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Packas rule! I thought they were stupid until my gf got one. After watching her use it for the last year I've developed a strong case of Packa envy. Say what you will, but I'm buying one very soon.
    I can relate. I didn't think they were stupid, but I didn't see what the big deal with it was - until I used one. Cedar Tree is one of those guys that comes up with an idea that is so simple but it is so good it is genius.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I didn't think they were stupid
    I was young and ignorant, but have seen the errors of my childish ways.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I was young and ignorant, but have seen the errors of my childish ways.
    I can relate. I still think JetBoils are stupid.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

FWIW I prefer to get pack covers in screaming orange. Yeah, I know a bright orange pack cover doesn't make me bullet proof, but they are kinda reassuring during hunting season. YMMV.

Q: Pack Covers Are They Necessary?

A: Yes

Default packa

got a packa at trail days.needed a new pack cover.turned out to be the best gear i used.when it pores and stops pores and stops.the packa rules

Images

I hike a lot in the trigger happy northeast woods and have evolved into using a blaze orange pack cover. But, for me, whatever color the pack cover is, I still like to use one.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++