WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    i'm just happy to be here didymus128's Avatar
    Images

Smile Fine for stealth camping/tent camping?

Hey guys, does anyone know what the fine is for being caught camping between shelters and not at an established campsite? Also, for camping outside a shelter if it's not full. (Assuming you are caught) No, i don't need to hear from those of you who are already thinking of something self righteous to say. Just if you can answer my question.

The fine is at the discretion of a federal judge or magistrate. I understand that $150 (per person) is typical for a first offense.

Depends on where you are referring to. Plenty of places, in fact most of the AT, allows camping between AT shelters. Camping between AT shelters is only not allowed in a few places - GSMNP, The Whites, maybe SNP(don't remember about SNP though), some private lands where the landowners so graciously allowed the AT path to cross their property, etc. A few other places that some others here can name.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Depends on where you are referring to. Plenty of places, in fact most of the AT, allows camping between AT shelters. Camping between AT shelters is only not allowed in a few places - GSMNP, The Whites, maybe SNP(don't remember about SNP though), some private lands where the landowners so graciously allowed the AT path to cross their property, etc. A few other places that some others here can name.
    thanks but i was referring to inside GSMNP, i didn't realize this was true for SNP though, might not be

And maybe you don't want to hear it, but the no camping designation is often for very good reasons. Remember, what one does affects what others can do after them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by didymus128 View Post
    thanks but i was referring to inside GSMNP, i didn't realize this was true for SNP though, might not be
    You don't have to stay at shelters in the Shenandoahs.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

more than anything i'm just greatful i didn't get busted before, because i did not know this was a law, thought it was just a suggestion, and i have done a lot of stealth in the smokies. also have many friends who do it, some because their first trips were with me, and i wanted to know if anyone had info on the fines/penalty so i can let them know about it.

Depends on where you are referring to. Plenty of places, in fact most of the AT, allows camping between AT shelters.
    Does the fact that the query was posted in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park section of the forum not provide any insight whatsoever as to location?

OK. I also remember hearing the $150 for first time offenders at GSMNP is typical. I've heard of a higher fine levied on one ocassion for this offense though. Call up GSMNP. The camping outside adjacent to GSMNP shelters is probably not going to land you a fine though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule View Post
    Does the fact that the query was posted in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park section of the forum not provide any insight whatsoever as to location?
    i mean i wasn't gonna say anything...just assume that like the rest of us he simply clicked "today's posts"

It would have Sliderule, if I had noticed that.

Journal Entries
    Images

Did it occur to anyone that if you receive a fine for "Stealth" Camping quite possibly you are doing it ALL wrong?

Best joke ever from a Comedian in front of a large group of Marines -

"You know that Camo just isn't working for you guys, I can still see you!"
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Did it occur to anyone that if you receive a fine for "Stealth" Camping quite possibly you are doing it ALL wrong?

Best joke ever from a Comedian in front of a large group of Marines -

"You know that Camo just isn't working for you guys, I can still see you!"
    agreed, but i feel like in some circles "stealth" camping has simply become the chosen vernacular for "camping where i'm not supposed to" rather than, "camping where no one can see me."

The camping outside adjacent to GSMNP shelters is probably not going to land you a fine though.
    Camping inside the shelter will land you a fine is you don't have a valid permit. Outside won't be any different.

Agreed Sliderule, but I assumed he would have a permit to camp inside the shelter and just wants to camp outside instead. I'm assuming he does have a hiking permit, but chooses to not stay at or in the shelter. If he decides on thru-hiking GSMNP without any permit I think that's a bit different than stealthing.

Speculating on selective enforcement is probably a losing proposition. The rules are clear. Except for campsite 113, the only hikers who are allowed to tent camp on the AT are properly permitted thru hikers. And they can tent only in the immediate vicinity of a shelter if that shelter is filled to capacity.

Good enough for me Sliderule. That sounds like the ranger quoting the rules as he or she is writing the summons.

Hiking permit? This is the first I've ever seen of THAT requirement anywhere. (I don't get out to the AT area, just picked this thread up on a "Todays Posts" click) But STILL! Why would anyone need a HIKING PERMIT??

Journal Entries
    Images

Doesn't make much sense....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vibe View Post
    Hiking permit? This is the first I've ever seen of THAT requirement anywhere. (I don't get out to the AT area, just picked this thread up on a "Todays Posts" click) But STILL! Why would anyone need a HIKING PERMIT??
    Why would anyone need a _________________ (fill in blank). Cause big G says so.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++