WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Questions about SNP

I'm planning to hike from Harper's Ferry to Rockfish Gap the 2nd week of May and have a few questions.

1. I'm going to use Mountain View Shuttles (mvshuttle.com) - any issues with this?

2. MV shuttle recommends parking at the inn in Afton and getting shuttled to Harper's Ferry, to the WV side of the bridge that leads to MD - does this sound ok?

3. Before entering SNP (remember, I'm hiking SOBO), is there a spot close to the trail to resupply or should I plan on going into Front Royal?

4. Is it difficult to get in and out of Front Royal?

5. I'm planning on entering SNP with 3 days worth of food for the entire section and eating a lot of cheeseburgers. Is this a reasonable expectation?

6. Can I tent anywhere I like in SNP?

7. Is it possible to even tent at a campground in the park one night to shower?

Lots of questions, sorry. I've tried wading through the various threads but can't seem to get the information I'm looking for to come together.

I can't answer for the shuttle questions, but a fair number of you other questions might be answered here:

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/things2know.htm

Virginia Tortoise

1. Not familiar with mvshuttles.com

2. The Afton Inn is one good spot to park a car. I parked mine at the Visitors center right at Rockfish Gap for a week and it was OK.

3. The only resupply points will be a general/convenience store in Linden (about 1 mile west) or Front Royal (about 4 miles west) of the AT.

4. You have to hitch into Front Royal. Not impossible but not easy.

5. I hiked SNP in 9 days. I took 9 days worth of food and also ate at Elk Wallow (mp 23.9), Panorama (which is now closed, mp 27.7), Skyland (mp 37.2), Big Meadows (mp 45.3), and the Loft Mountain Restaurant (mp 79.7). I had food in my pack left over after my NOBO hike in SNP, which I gave to other hikers at the Denton Shelter.

6. You have to get a back country permit before entering SNP. There should be a self service post with a box of them between Floyd Wayside and the park boundry. You can camp in the back country. The regs should be on the permit. When I hiked that section, we had to camp in some strange places since the shelters were not evenly spaced. Since they opened up Byrds Nest 3 for long distance hikers, that should make it easier. I had to camp on a bluff just north of the Pinicles Picnic ground right above Skyline Drive.

7. You can shower and camp in the campgrounds. I did so at Loft Mountain and Big Meadows.

I did this stretch in 2001. It was a great hike. The trail is well graded. You will see some bears. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I'm planning to hike from Harper's Ferry to Rockfish Gap the 2nd week of May and have a few questions.

1. I'm going to use Mountain View Shuttles (mvshuttle.com) - any issues with this?

2. MV shuttle recommends parking at the inn in Afton and getting shuttled to Harper's Ferry, to the WV side of the bridge that leads to MD - does this sound ok?

3. Before entering SNP (remember, I'm hiking SOBO), is there a spot close to the trail to resupply or should I plan on going into Front Royal?

4. Is it difficult to get in and out of Front Royal?

5. I'm planning on entering SNP with 3 days worth of food for the entire section and eating a lot of cheeseburgers. Is this a reasonable expectation?

6. Can I tent anywhere I like in SNP?

7. Is it possible to even tent at a campground in the park one night to shower?

Lots of questions, sorry. I've tried wading through the various threads but can't seem to get the information I'm looking for to come together.
    I did this exact hike last year nobo.

1. not famaliar with mv shuttles

2. I would be dropped off in the middle of town, stay in a hostel and get an early start.

3.You should not have to resupply in Front Royal because it will be in the beginning of your hike

4. did not go there, but the hikers who did, did not seem to have any trouble on rt 522. Very busy road.

5.Take enough food for the entire hike, minus a meal or two. There are tons of places to eat.

6. generally yes., read snp rules for tent camping.

7.Yes. The campgrounds are nice, I stopped at everyone, tented, showered, and resupplied. They also have nice restaurants, bars at some, entertainment, camp stores, beer, etc...

misc. PLan a stop at the Blackburn center. It is right on the trail, They have free lodging, showers, and dinner for long distance hikers, which includes you. Also Bears den Hostel is very nice with a hikers package, which includes lodging, showers, frozen pizza, ben and jerrys, and laundry. Both were run by married couples who had previously thru hiked the trail. Do not be intimidated by the roller coaster, it's not that hard. The blue berry milkshakes are as good as advertised at each campground, but small for the money. The hiking is moderate compared to the more strenous areas of the AT, so covering more miles is possible. This is not a solitary hike, you will have lots of company in the snp, which I enjoy. You will meet many quality people. You should see tons of wildlife. I was told that the bear population is approaching 3000. expect to see several bears. Also when you approach route 9, which should be on your first day of hiking, take a left on rt 9 go 4 tenths, there is a chevron convenience store with the best italian sub Ive ever had.

HAVE A GREAT HIKE!!!!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I believe it's about 160 or so miles from Harper's Ferry to Rockfish Gap.

And 60 or so of that is from Harper's Ferry to Front Royal.

I figured on starting with enough food to get from Harper's Ferry to Front Royal and getting 2-3 days worth of food in Linden or Front Royal to get through SNP. I generally hike between 20-25 mpd so it seems like 2-3 days worth of food plus 3-4 meals at stores and waysides would cover it.

Workable? I guess I won't starve no matter what.

Virginia Tortoise

Yes, that seems doable. Though 'The Roller Coaster' between Blackburn Trail Center and Rod Hollow Shelter may slow you down a little. You are basically slabbing the west side of the mountain and constantly going up and down along rocky, crappy trail. I didn't like that part. But I did like SNP.

You're in good hands with http://www.mvshuttle.com/ - that's the company owned by WhiteBlaze's Skyline. He knows the trail, the Park, and the surrounding area very well.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    You're in good hands with http://www.mvshuttle.com/ - that's the company owned by WhiteBlaze's Skyline. He knows the trail, the Park, and the surrounding area very well.

Thanks Cookerhiker! We have an additional web address new this year--http://www.snpshuttles.com
    Last edited by Skyline; 02-18-2011 at 11:35.

Journal Entries

Front Royal Terapin Station Hostel is 0.4 miles off the trail. If you stay, they will accept mail drops. They sell pizza, snacks and provide free shuttles into town for resupply. I think the charge is $17 for a bunk bed with linen, showers and laundry. I have not stayed there but I did call the owner, Mike Evans, and he is open. I plan a North Bound hike in the same area in May.

++ New Posts ++