WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thumbs up Thinking about starting a shuttling service

A couple of weeks ago I picked up the guy from this thread and his friend-

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...+grove+furnace

It went well other than his plane being delayed by an hour and I had a good time talking with them. Anyway, it got me thinking about doing this more and the pitfalls that go along with it. I work 3rd shift so I'd have a good chance of being available during the day all week.

I live about a half hour from the Doyle. Is that too far? I live about 3 minutes from the Harrisburg Intl. Airport. Basically, I have no idea what it takes to be a good shuttleman(or whatever you call it) and I'm looking for some of the experienced people to chime in.

So-
    What is a fair rate to charge?
    Would I be poaching someone else's territory? Should I care?
    Any bad experiences?
    What other considerations are there?

Do this at your convience. Do it because you enjoy it and want to meet new people and possibly make some new friends. Once you try to make a "job" out of this service it will sour over time. The pitfalls will become many.
    I have moved people on and off the trail and have never set a rate to charge. Hikers are grateful (mostly) for the help and nine times out of ten, they will pay a fair amount for your troubles. Sometimes you get burned, but in my experience, it is not often.
    Moses

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Call your insurance company and tell them you're considering hauling paying passengers in your vehicle. Then make your decision.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Don't forget your Dept of Revenue license in PA. you are now running a Business in PA. and will be taxed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu View Post

So-
    What is a fair rate to charge?
    Would I be poaching someone else's territory? Should I care?
    Any bad experiences?
    What other considerations are there?
    at least $1 per mile
    "territory"? no. you shouldn't care
    the only bad experiences i've had are with the thru-hiker types. they're cheapskates and are rarely ready to go at the agreed upon time

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Call your insurance company and tell them you're considering hauling paying passengers in your vehicle. Then make your decision.
    Just one of the many pit-falls. This is a biggie!
    Moses

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Good call. I never even thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeBackpacker View Post
    Don't forget your Dept of Revenue license in PA. you are now running a Business in PA. and will be taxed for it.
    I'll tell you when I'm running a business

here goes any $$ you'll make

Don't forget PUC registration. They've been clamping down on the folks who drive the Amish around. http://www.puc.state.pa.us/transport...tor_index.aspx

And further rain on the parade, I'd bet HIA wants a cut too if you pick up directly - the cops there are so bored they'd surely notice the same car coming around time and again. Maybe cut a deal with Cramer's if they're still in business by the time all this legalese gets figured out.
    Last edited by ki0eh; 04-08-2009 at 09:45. Reason: thought of another bureaucracy

Images

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you won't like what the insurance company quotes you. From there, it all boils down to how much of a risk you think you are taking on.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    at least $1 per mile
    "territory"? no. you shouldn't care
    the only bad experiences I've had are with the thru-hiker types. they're cheapskates and are rarely ready to go at the agreed upon time
    Do you think $1 is the average rate per loaded mile (hikers on-board) or for round trip mileage too? For example, 30 miles to the trail head is a 60 mile trip for the service provider. Should the provider charge $30 or $60? Is a flat fee customary or per person fee? My wife and I are doing a lot of sections this year and would like to know what to expect. I hope my questions help with the original post too for setting expectations for fees.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Thomas Jefferson

Ok........... scratch that idea. What a pain in the ass.

Ok........... scratch that idea. What a pain in the ass.
    just say it's a donation.

Another thing to consider is any licenses/permits you might be required to get if you are going into a National Forest or National Park trailhead.

Also check about any rules even if you are doing a 'donation' type shuttle. If you print up fliers, post in the AT publications, or make it known that you are 'available for service', that may count as 'being in business'. If you arent doing this sort of advertising, then you will find yourself hanging out at trail heads and hoping that hikers are willing to pay you to drive them around from there.

Images

The final call will be your insurance company. For Hire rates are very expensive. And if you are doing it "for donation" and you have an accident, do you really expect your customer to lie to the insurance investigator to save your butt?
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    The final call will be your insurance company. For Hire rates are very expensive. And if you are doing it "for donation" and you have an accident, do you really expect your customer to lie to the insurance investigator to save your butt?
    Yes.

I really do wish someone would take this bull by the horns in the Harrisburg area and offer a recognized service. It's the #1 question to the SATC website and pretty high among the real queries posted to WB too.

(Just in case folks are wondering what answer I give, it's either "look at the shuttle list on the ATC website" or "call the Doyle", not necessarily in that order.)

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    so if kincora catches fire and people die the owner is not responsible cuz it's donation only? and not up to fire codes?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    so if kincora catches fire and people die the owner is not responsible cuz it's donation only? and not up to fire codes?
    It's probably the thru hikers that started the fire to begin with.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++