WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Flea and Tick Treatments

I've been using Frontline. I always wonder if it's not a bit too expensive, I don't know how to compare its effectiveness to other treatments.

What do y'all use?

Jonathan

Hike smarter, not harder.

On myself? Or my dog?

Images

frontline. But it's really not approved by the FDA

Images

The way to cut costs is skip it during the coldest months of the year, say Jan and Feb

I use Frontline Plus on my dog monthly during tick season (April/May through October/November and bimonthly the rest of the year. It is effective protection against fleas for up to ninety days.
    Bob & Brad
    (On the Internet, no one knows if you're a dog)
    Psalm 121 - the hiker's psalm

Images

I have been using Advantix and it seems to be doing the job so far. I also had him get the Lyme vaccine.

With Frontline the ticks will still attach to your dog but they will die shortly after. I just pulled about 20 off my dog after a trip to Big South Fork last week......all were dead or movin' real slow (even for a tick).
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I use frontline plus, I dont bother treating during the cold months(December to March).
    We are asleep with compasses in our hands.

If you are talking about protecting yourself, use permeritherine(sp?) to treat your clothes and outside of tent.
    John Carnahan
    [email protected]

Images

Hmmm, I can see how you might make that assumption. Being the naive type I thought Bootstrap was referring to his dog, but I could be wrong.

Bootstrap?

It's in the "Dogs on the Appalachian Trail" forum. I don't think it's too tough to figure out.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Sorry, didn't know what thread I was in, I just go to "new posts" and start reading.
    John Carnahan
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap View Post
    I've been using Frontline. I always wonder if it's not a bit too expensive, I don't know how to compare its effectiveness to other treatments.

What do y'all use?

Jonathan
    Frontline is way to expensive. I just shave a patch of fur and light Winter on fire. When the fleas and ticks run into the clearing I stab them with an ice pick.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
    Sorry, didn't know what thread I was in, I just go to "new posts" and start reading.
    Don't sweat it. As long as the kidding around is good natured it ain't no big thang.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    The way to cut costs is skip it during the coldest months of the year, say Jan and Feb

Or buy on -line, and I just found two ticks yesterday on the dog, not me.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I can't STAND ticks... pulled one off my dog about 2 weeks ago that was already about 3/8" in diameter. Went and got some frontline that afternoon and have been doing checks about every other day since and so far no more ticks and no fleas. Is there any other methods besides the frontline or similar treatments? Maybe pills or a shot or something? One time I took my dog in for a routine check-up and she had a few fleas and I think they gave her a shot... wonder if that works for ticks too. I'm gonna call the vet tomorrow and ask I'll let you guys know what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Frontline is way to expensive. I just shave a patch of fur and light Winter on fire. When the fleas and ticks run into the clearing I stab them with an ice pick.
    I've been looking for a lightweight ice pick on Campmor, but I can't find on light enough to carry on a hike. Which one do you use?

Images

Default Vet

my Vet, well my dogs vet, sent me a coupon yesterday. 25% off frontline. i also skip the winter for both dogs and cats.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

I bought the 12-pack of Advantix on www.1800petmeds.com . You can save some money by buying online in bulk that way. Unfortunately, in southeast Texas, we don't get much of a break even in winter, so I've been treating my dog year-round (and for heartworms too... most untreated dogs get heartworms here, unfortunately).

Hartz had cheapo over-the-counter flea meds, but they had to recall them several years ago... apparently they were making dogs and cats seriously sick.

Of course there's anti-flea shampoo and dips, but it's just not the same. The monthly topical treatments are the best.

I just camped with my dog this weekend. As far as I can tell, she didn't pick up any ticks. On the other hand, I pulled one off myself. It had dug in right over my ribs.
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

++ New Posts ++