WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Default Looking for Day Hike Suggestions TN/NC

I have been sentenced to lead another adult and about 8 Boy Scouts ages 12-17 on a week of day hikes near or on the AT in TN and NC this June. I'm planning on Laurel Fork Gorge, Roan Mountain to Jane Bald and back to Carver's Gap, and Clingman's to Newfound Gap. Any other suggestions that involve about 5-8 miles, minimal elevation change with some good vista payoffs or cool sights?

Maybe Max Patch from Lemon Gap? About 5-6 miles or so.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    I have been sentenced to lead another adult and about 8 Boy Scouts ages 12-17 on a week of day hikes near or on the AT in TN and NC this June. I'm planning on Laurel Fork Gorge, Roan Mountain to Jane Bald and back to Carver's Gap, and Clingman's to Newfound Gap. Any other suggestions that involve about 5-8 miles, minimal elevation change with some good vista payoffs or cool sights?
    • If you are going to do Roan go to Grassy Ridge Bald. You can even do all three 6000 ft summits.
    • Bitter End to Dennis Cove. Only a couple views but great views of Roan to Unaka. Get shuttled by Kincora.
    • Walnut Mtn Road to 19E, and side trip Elk River Falls. Park at Mtn Harbor B&B.
    • Hughes Gap to Iron Mountain Gap. 9 miles. Great views of Tiger Valley for the first part.
    • Sams Gap to Devils Fork Gap. Great views of Big Bald and Bald Mtn line.
    • Dennis Cove to Hampton Blue Blaze. Be sure to check out Potato Top.
    • Standing Indian Loop
    • Max Patch to Lemon Gap
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post

Charlies Bunion in the Smokies is 4.4 mi. one way. It is heavily visited, but worth it. You could return the 4.4 or continue to the Dry Sluice Gap trail and the Bradley Fork trail to Smokemont campground (7.6 mi). This is almost all downhill and offers a view of the varied terrain of the Smokies.

You might call Bob Peoples and see if he is not too busy. There is a camping area at his hostel. It might be that he would have a trail project you could work on.

A bit further north is Damascus. Grayson Highlands State Park is a good place for a day hike - fee for parking. You could also do the all downhill bike ride on the VA Creeper trail into Damascus-a blast!

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Thanks - I'll take a look at all of them. I appreciate the help.

++ New Posts ++