WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fastest AT hike?

Hi everyone, i am a runner and i am getting into hiking and i was wondering what the fastest hike along the AT? I heard from someone that read the book "A walk in the woods" and he said it was something like 26 days. That is crazy, isn't it something like 2080 miles?
    In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
    -Theodore Roosevelt-

I'm confused. Are you asking what's the fastest HIKE of the AT or the fastest RUN? Are they different? And then there's the mind-numbing qualifications: did someone do it with a full pack and no support? Or did someone do it with a support van while carrying minimal gear?

Whats the fastest hike? just one person or group with no help. i think it would take away from the experience if you ran.
    In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
    -Theodore Roosevelt-

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Russelburg View Post
    Whats the fastest hike? just one person or group with no help. i think it would take away from the experience if you ran.
    47 days supported, 60 days unsupported. 2175 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Russelburg View Post
    explain "experience"

That's hard to say because i've never done it, but if i did i would want to experience the scenery and solitude of the trip. Then on the other hand some people might like the challenge and they might want to conquer it as quick as they can, i respect that to. As for me i would like to experience the nature of it.
    -Theodore Roosevelt-

Trail Bum / Homeless Vet
    Images

I sitll wonder why Jennifer Pharr - Davis who ran the trail was invited to a hiking event
    (SoRuck) to speak. Seeing Gene was awesome then we get some trail runner with a Super 8 addiction speaking right there with him

I'm always amazed that there are so many "warring" factions in the hiking community. It's just a damn trail to get from point a to b. Some just take it way too serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldwide View Post
    I sitll wonder why Jennifer Pharr - Davis who ran the trail was invited to a hiking event
    (SoRuck) to speak. Seeing Gene was awesome then we get some trail runner with a Super 8 addiction speaking right there with him
    i'm a walker and i was at the event (soruck) i have a motel 6 addiction

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i'm a walker and i was at the event (soruck) i have a motel 6 addiction
    Cue snare, kick drum and cymbal.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I really do need to finish my book HIKE MY HIKE - DAMN IT!

ps. Didn't you just say how you broke the AZT record? Speed hiking is OK as long as it is done your way ???
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Trail Bum / Homeless Vet
    Images

A)

My AZT record hike wasn't intentional. I just need to get as many miles in as possible per day so I can tackle more trails in one year. I have money saved and part of the drain on my savings is monthly storage and cell phone bill. More months = less hiking money. Every month my stuff is in storage and my cell contract that is 200 miles I can't afford to hike. So for every year I hike it is an entire AT PCT or CDT hike down the drain. Not that the superhighway trails interest me really. Basically if it can be slacked I won't hike it.

B)

When a hiker doesn't get recognized from manufacturers for their accomplishments with free or discounted gear it may be because where's Carl got a 27' motorhome and all the crap he doesn't carry for free from a Backpacker magazine not Runnersworld.

Basically they can't be competitive in running events, and go to beat records on hiking trails yet never hike /shrug.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

So..again, it all boils down to HIKE MY HIKE - DAMN IT!

Heck, you even define what is a hike vs. a run. Define what is a tough trail. And will trumpet how you broke the record..then say you accidentally did it and it really didn't matter?

Whatever.

Just enjoy your journey. And let others enjoy theirs.
    To quote Cactus Ed: Life is too short for regret. Or grief. Or bull****.

So, lets all quit slinging the BS and just rejoice in what we all love: the outdoors. Not in your way, or my way...but in the way that we all love it. And to say there is one way to enjoy the outdoors? Well...

HIKE MY HIKE - DAMN IT!

ps. CDT a highway???!?!!! Interesting concept. :O
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I don't have a dog in this fight, but to give Carl his due, from what I hear he is VERY competetive in whatever you call those extreme runs/hikes of 50 or more miles. Actually, I heard he's one of the best.

When I getting intimidated by others incredible mile per day feats I just convert to metric.
    When that doesn't work I divide by weight. When that doesn't work I divide by age.
    When that doesn't work I just cheat. Pretty simple. I don't know what the big deal is really.

Who also happened to be a thruhiker in 2005 (and very nice!) before doing the speed hike. Also doubt she stayed in many Super 8's given her budget and according to her journal...

Gravity

Quote Originally Posted by gravityman View Post
    Who also happened to be a thruhiker in 2005 (and very nice!) before doing the speed hike. Also doubt she stayed in many Super 8's given her budget and according to her journal...

Gravity
    Still, when you multiply by her age and weight and convert to metric her feat wasn't all that impressive really.

So whats the record for fastest run.
    -Theodore Roosevelt-

47 days as Lone Wolf said, which is about 46 miles a day.

But I can do 10 miles a day for 10 days which is same thing right.

That's almost two marathons a day for 50 days. That is quite an accomplishment its self.
    -Theodore Roosevelt-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++