WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Clear to pass?

Images

Default Clear to pass?

After being out on the trail for 3 days last week and talking with friends who were out on another section the thought came to me to ask about clearing progress of the trail after some of this winters larger than normal ice storms.

I maintain the section of trail from NY Rt 22 south to the top of Corbin Hill. My section has been cleared and I have also checked the section continuing south of here to just north of Nuclear Lake, all clear.

Just hiked north from Cluvers Gap NJ 206 to the NY/NJ state-line. There were still a number of small blow downs that you have to step over or around. There seemed to be more from the Sunrise Pavilion to Mashipacong Shelter and then again near the monument. The side trail to the high point monument it's self was a bit tough to find due to blow downs.

I would love to hear from others out there as top how the trail clearing is going. I know that the areas to the north of me, CT, Mass and VT got the storm hard. Anyone who has covered those areas lately wants to give a run down that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    I would love to hear from others out there as top how the trail clearing is going. I know that the areas to the north of me, CT, Mass and VT got the storm hard. Anyone who has covered those areas lately wants to give a run down that would be great.
    CT/MA border area was indeed hit hard this year with many large down and pines completely uprooted. As of last weekend, the AT and side trails have not been cleared. AT crossing stream thru Sages Ravine was a ford.

The area just north of Silver Hill Campsite in CT is in good shape, as is the section from Morgan Stewart Shelter to Rte 55 in NY.

Images

Ok so what we have so far is. I may try to keep this updated as I get more info and put it in an easier format.

Pa

From the Md line to Shippensburg Rd clear.

New Jersey

206 Culvers Gap to Sunrise Pavillion passable
    Side trail to High point hard to find
    High point to NY/NJ stateline passable limited blowdowns

New York

Stateline down Sateline Trail clear.
    NY 55 to Morgan Stewart Shelter clear
    North of Nuclear Lake to CT line clear

Connuticut

Area north of Silver Hill CT 4 Sharon Rd clear

Mass

Sages Ravine tough stream crossing
    Lee to Dalton - Many blowdowns tough to navigate.

Thanks for the update to Tin Man, Old Grouse.

Many blowdowns on Paradise lane (blue blaze from undermountain trail to AT just south of sages ravine)

Several blowdowns on AT from Sages ravine to race brook falls trail

On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    Ok so what we have so far is. I may try to keep this updated as I get more info and put it in an easier format.

Pa

From the Md line to Shippensburg Rd clear.

New Jersey

206 Culvers Gap to Sunrise Pavillion passable
    Side trail to High point hard to find
    High point to NY/NJ stateline passable limited blowdowns

New York

Stateline down Sateline Trail clear.
    NY 55 to Morgan Stewart Shelter clear
    North of Nuclear Lake to CT line clear

Connuticut

Area north of Silver Hill CT 4 Sharon Rd clear

Mass

Sages Ravine tough stream crossing
    Lee to Dalton - Many blowdowns tough to navigate.

Thanks for the update to Tin Man, Old Grouse.
    Hi, Sasquatch,

My wife and I went from NY 17A to West Mombasha Rd on Saturday. There were some blowdowns, but not an enormous amount, given the windy conditions, and most weren't too hard to get around. Probably the worst one was a bit SOBO of Eastern Pinnacles. There was also a stream crossing above Fitzgerald Falls (sorry, can't remember exactly which one) where there is a limb with a pointy branch sitting right in the way of the most convenient spot to cross. My wife almost ended up with it in an. . .ahem. . .unfortunate area of the anatomy. A couple of places south of Mombasha High Point were really tangly, but again, the path was reasonably clear.
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

MA: The AT from Guilder Pond south over Mt. Everett to intersection with Race Brook Falls Trail: All cleared.

Race Brook Falls Trail/AT intersection south to summit of Race: Pending.

Images

Well there is now a Blow down on the access trail to Telephone Pioneer Shelter. I know this for a fact because I was just leaving the shelter tonight in the dark when I heard a crack. I moved quick the other way. 50 ft behind us, had Hank my trail pup with me, on the trail we had just crossed came down a big tree with tons of vines on it too. That one was close. Thanks for the update Deb.

Images

Default Widow makers on and off the trail.

The ice damage to the forest here in central Mass. and adjacent parts of NH was severe. Reports at the time from Western Mass, NW Conn., and higher elevation parts of VT were similar.

Hikers should be very careful going off trail. Broken limbs are still hanging from many trees. Hikers should look up to see what might fall on them. It's not a good idea to hike off trail at night or to camp off trail unless you've checked to see what might fall on you. Hanging branches and broken trees in the off trail woods long after the trails are cleared.

Many thanks to the trail maintainers.
    --Walter

++ New Posts ++