WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Rules Will Be Inforced At The Place

I just want to say this, the law here in Damascus does not give a damn if anyone smokes pot and the Methodist church does not care either. But what the methodist church does care about is if it is being done on their property that they offer as a cheap service to the hiking community and they have a right to say no to anyone at The Place with alcohol or illegal drugs. They also have a right to enforce that rule by any means possible.

Images

That deserves an Easter Sunday resounding "AMEN".

DoughNut

and i can tell you this, LEOs WILL be running drug sniffing canines thru the building. they were there yesterday with a very cool german shepard. one hiker was caught with a very small amount.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    and i can tell you this, LEOs WILL be running drug sniffing canines thru the building. they were there yesterday with a very cool german shepard. one hiker was caught with a very small amount.
    Police dogs used randomly in a hostel is not cool. If its come to that, better to shut the place down.

That really sucks.
    I agree with Rickb.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Police dogs are not cool. If its come to that, better to shut the place down.
    Police dogs are wonderful. People who flaunt the law and rules of a place trying to offer services to the hiking public at extremely low prices are not cool.

Police dogs used randomly in a hostel is not cool. If its come to that, better to shut the place down.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    That really sucks.
    I agree with Rickb.
    no sympathy. time and time again these hikers break the clearly written, simple posted rules. maybe this will be the year it gets shut down. all the future folks that walk thru this town will suffer by not having a cheap place to stay. the "hiker community" has proven they can't come into town and be respectful

Journal Entries
    Images

Sympathy is not the issue. Not going to debate.

Sympathy is not the issue. Not going to debate.
    you'll lose any debate. come live here for one hiker season. your tune will change

Images

It all boils down to selfishness and a lack of respect for others really. Kind, caring people have provided a wonderful service to our hiking community and some thoughtless, selfish individuals feel it is okay to ignore the rules of this and other establishments for their personal "enjoyment".

If you don't agree with the policy of an enterprise, then don't use their services. Feel free to voice your opinion in a sensible manner, but don't impose on others by behaving as if the rules don't apply to you!
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Ya'll should pass proposition two. Stop wasting money on drug dogs...put it back towards the hiker community in other ways.

I'm not saying people shouldn't obey the rules/regulations/laws that are in place NOW. It's real easy to follow rules if one wants to.

Images

My only comment:

While it is well within the rights of the Church to enforce their no alcohol/no pot rules, and these rules should be respected willingly, using random searches by drug dogs seems a bit extreme. I agree perhaps it should be closed down, if not permanently, then for a season. That should get the message out loud and clear.

I do not smoke, use mind altering drugs, and very seldom drink alcohol. But many thru and section hikers do. My point is that hikers are carrying their homes on their backs. If they have pot, what are they to do with it while staying at the Place?

Good folks, who may abide by the rules and refrain from using while at the Place will get caught up in these "sweeps" as well as the inconsiderates who would flaunt the rules.

I know those who support this action will say "So what, they brought it onto the property" but I think that is a pretty narrow minded view. It is sad that it has come to this point. I have some fond memories of time spent at the Place.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    My only comment:

If they have pot, what are they to do with it while staying at the Place?
    The Place is not the only game in town. There are other places to stay, and one can make a good case for not staying in town at all, but resupplying and hiking on through.

I'm not going to debate the pros of drug laws and enforcement (mostly because I think there aren't any pros), but the situation is what it is, and hikers should know about it ahead of time, and make their plans accordingly. To LW's point, if there hadn't been so many bad apples passing through The Place, the police would never have become involved in trying to enforce the rules.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    My only comment:

While it is well within the rights of the Church to enforce their no alcohol/no pot rules, and these rules should be respected willingly, using random searches by drug dogs seems a bit extreme. I agree perhaps it should be closed down, if not permanently, then for a season. That should get the message out loud and clear.

I do not smoke, use mind altering drugs, and very seldom drink alcohol. But many thru and section hikers do. My point is that hikers are carrying their homes on their backs. If they have pot, what are they to do with it while staying at the Place?

Good folks, who may abide by the rules and refrain from using while at the Place will get caught up in these "sweeps" as well as the inconsiderates who would flaunt the rules.

I know those who support this action will say "So what, they brought it onto the property" but I think that is a pretty narrow minded view. It is sad that it has come to this point. I have some fond memories of time spent at the Place.
    "if they have pot, what are they to do with it while staying at the Place?" it's illegal. who cares what they do with it. go stay somewhere else or sffer the consequences. it's really simple

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

weed's ill-eagle and ya aint s'possed to have it in there ,but will they be doing random sniff tests when walkin down the street next??

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Rules

More and more services given to hikers for free or for little costs are being withdrawn because of abuse by the few. In order to keep these services available to hikers the folks who abide by the rules should remind those who don't. Some time it may take a little more effort than just a reminder.
    If we do our own policeing we won't need outside help.
    Grampie-N->2001

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

you'll lose any debate. come live here for one hiker season. your tune will change
    they should re-route the trail around the town if the town folks don't like the annual influx of hikers. then the tune would change. tolerance
    hi lone wolf, hope you and miss gypsy are back in the game and feelin the best as humanly possible!!

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave View Post
    weed's ill-eagle and ya aint s'possed to have it in there ,but will they be doing random sniff tests when walkin down the street next??
    if you are carrying and you see an officer with a dog, is it a random test or are you just too stupid to walk the other way?

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave View Post
    And where would it stop? I can see it now, drug dogs at all the gaps.

With all the killings happening in the country anymore, i'm surprised they're worried about a little pot.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++