WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Virginia Creeper Trail campsite

I'm bringing a few other folks with me this weekend to hike from Fox Creek to Damascus, finishing up on Monday. I've done this section twice already, and so I am thinking about staying on the Creeper for the last 10 miles into Damascus rather than climbing up to Saunders Shelter.

I've biked the Creeper many times, but don't recall if there are any (or many) campsites along this stretch. Ideally, I'd like to find an established campsite a little South of Taylor Valley so we can get up Monday morning and just have a short hike of 4 - 5 miles into town.

Does anyone know if there are any established campsites on the Creeper Trail near Taylor Valley?

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I was just up at Lost Mountain today, hiked in from Creek Junction.

There is a small wooded area on the Creek Junction access trail that looks like a campsite.

There is a huge campsite after the AT splits off of the Creeper at the Creek Junction bridge.

I took VA859 to go through Green Cove & Taylors Valley. In between Creek Junction and Green Cove, it is quite secluded and camp there very easy.

Lonewolf, Wonderer, and Local should know more about the Creeper than me.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Journal Entries
    Images

That area that TV is talking about would be a good spot........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    I was just up at Lost Mountain today, hiked in from Creek Junction.

There is a small wooded area on the Creek Junction access trail that looks like a campsite.

There is a huge campsite after the AT splits off of the Creeper at the Creek Junction bridge.

I took VA859 to go through Green Cove & Taylors Valley. In between Creek Junction and Green Cove, it is quite secluded and camp there very easy.

Lonewolf, Wonderer, and Local should know more about the Creeper than me.
    You covered the ones I was thinking about.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Hey, Tripp, I saw you in BRO!

I would come on down the Creeper past Taylor's Valley & start looking for campsites on the right, two in particular. First is about 3/4 or 1 mile from the TV caboose just downstream from one of those trestles that have the retention cables on them, there is a little path going off the Creeper to that campsite. The other is just before you get to the 4-mile aka Straight Branch parking lot, on your right, big wide area. Both of these sites are established and are on both the AT and Creeper so if some of your party wants to keep coming south via the AT you can all camp together. Probably 5.5 to town from #1 & 4.5 from #2.
    ???

To clarify, TV as in Taylor's Valley, not Tennessee Viking like in T-O-W's post.
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
    Hey, Tripp, I saw you in BRO!

I would come on down the Creeper past Taylor's Valley & start looking for campsites on the right, two in particular. First is about 3/4 or 1 mile from the TV caboose just downstream from one of those trestles that have the retention cables on them, there is a little path going off the Creeper to that campsite. The other is just before you get to the 4-mile aka Straight Branch parking lot, on your right, big wide area. Both of these sites are established and are on both the AT and Creeper so if some of your party wants to keep coming south via the AT you can all camp together. Probably 5.5 to town from #1 & 4.5 from #2.
    what he said

++ New Posts ++