WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is the Big Agnes Seadhouse SL1 too small?

Hi, I am 6'2". I have just enough room in my MSR Hubba though it is very narrow. I do like the vestibule. Has anyone tried the BA Seadhouse SL1 compared to the Hubba? There is outfitter nearby to try the BA. Thanks for any input.
    Greg

Sorry, there is NO outfitter with a BA nearby.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

I'm 6'2" and fit just fine in my seedhouse 1. I can sit up and get dressed, cook in the vestibule, etc. The little bitty doggy door isn't that great, but I still like it....particularly for stealth camping.

Virginia Tortoise

I have a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1. The interior is big enough for 1 person and a backpack. It's very easy to put up. The only complaints I have are that the door is a bit small for me (I'm a big 6'0") and the view from the tent is limited to either the door with the fly partially unzipped or under the fly if you guy it away from the bottom of the tent. I've thought about looking at the Big Agnes Copper Spur as it has a side door. Not sure if it is available in a 1 person version.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I have a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1. The interior is big enough for 1 person and a backpack. It's very easy to put up. The only complaints I have are that the door is a bit small for me (I'm a big 6'0") and the view from the tent is limited to either the door with the fly partially unzipped or under the fly if you guy it away from the bottom of the tent. I've thought about looking at the Big Agnes Copper Spur as it has a side door. Not sure if it is available in a 1 person version.
    As a matter of fact, the Copper Spur is available as a solo tent.

Virginia Tortoise

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    As a matter of fact, the Copper Spur is available as a solo tent.
    Yes, I just found it on campsaver.com. It is heavier and more expensive. I guess the side door must weigh more:

http://www.campsaver.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=bag0156

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Yes, I just found it on campsaver.com. It is heavier and more expensive. I guess the side door must weigh more:

http://www.campsaver.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=bag0156
    Well - it is a larger tent overall with an additional door on the opposing side of the main door to access the other side of the vestibule. Smart actually. It also has a more robust floor. If it was me, this would be the one.

My recent drama regarding my new Seedhouse SL1 aside, I set it up yesterday and it is actually plently large. It is amazingly light weight and being that I am 6'2" 220lbs, it wasn't too bad getting in and out of (I had fresh legs of course and it was sunny).

The tent itself does require 5 stakes and I'm not crazy about the ones BA includes and might replace them with the needle stakes from MSR (easier to work with).

Overall, a good first impression tent... 0 nights in it thus far.

It is a very roomy tent inside, in fact, other than some single wall shelters, it is the largest solo tent I have ever been in. The door and vestibule however are quite small, and I wish it had a fly vent, but that is the price you have to pay for the interior room and light weight.

I have close to 100 nights in mine and have been very happy with it. I generally use Golite Y stakes (Think shorter, lighter MSR Groundhog) with mine as I think they hold best for the weight. The stakes that hold the tent, don't get put under much strain, but the ones holding the fly, can get quite a bit of pressure put on them so just make sure whatever stake you choose can handle it. I also only use 10 stakes by using the inner tent/fly attachment on the sides, and not staking the end tip with the pole. I just finished with a section hike with blizzard like conditions; high winds, and 10" of snow. I pitched the foot end into the wind, scraped up leaves around the perimeter (to keep the wind from blowing snow under the fly) and it held up great. I have also camped in the exposed Mt Rogers area in Febuary in that tent and it held up great in the high winds. Everyone else in my group had 4 season tents.

++ New Posts ++