WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default garbage bag liner

Hi all, any recommendations on a good brand name and size of a liner for a 4000 cu in pack. Like hefty bag or some type of compactor bag. It's time to upgrade from the thinner economy ones I usually use I use at home. Something that might last a month or so. I'm thinking 20 or 30 gallon size would be about right, but I'e never bought one specifically for a pack. Thanks for your thoughts. Mark S

I recently purchased some lawn bags (clear) from Shaw's (local supermarket chain) which are a good balance between strength and weight. Unfortunately, I've lost the box that they came in so I can't give you a brand name.
    Gossamer Gear markets some pack-specific ultralight plastic bags which are supposed to be very strong, but I haven't tried them yet since they're fairly expensive.
    Maybe this http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...ck_liners.html
    is what I was thinking of.
    Last edited by Tinker; 04-19-2009 at 07:54. Reason: added to post
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Look in your local Wally World for "Trash Compactor" bags. They are about the right size. Plenty large for my 3600 ci pack. Last ones I bought came 20 in a box. I changed it out every couple of months on my hike. Worked well.
    Turtle2

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mark schofield View Post
    Hi all, any recommendations on a good brand name and size of a liner for a 4000 cu in pack. Like hefty bag or some type of compactor bag. It's time to upgrade from the thinner economy ones I usually use I use at home. Something that might last a month or so. I'm thinking 20 or 30 gallon size would be about right, but I'e never bought one specifically for a pack. Thanks for your thoughts. Mark S
    i use contractor bags from Home Depot. work for a 4400 cu in pack.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Any of the puncture resistant trash bags work fine. Glad Force Flex, Heafty Ultra Flex. etc. I don't line my entire pack, just bag the must stay dry stuff like clothing, sleeping bag, electronics. Don't really care if my stove fuel, stove, cooking pots, sleeping pad, etc get a little damp.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle2 View Post
    Look in your local Wally World for "Trash Compactor" bags. They are about the right size. Plenty large for my 3600 ci pack. Last ones I bought came 20 in a box. I changed it out every couple of months on my hike. Worked well.
    Hefty brand compactor bags from walmart work for me. I only keep my quilts/clothing inside the bag and twist the top closed and stuff it down between the pack and the outside of the liner.

I'm worth a million in prizes astrogirl's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Hefty brand compactor bags from walmart work for me. I only keep my quilts/clothing inside the bag and twist the top closed and stuff it down between the pack and the outside of the liner.
    That's exactly what I do too.
    -----------------------------------------------
    obstacles are found everywhere, and in taking them, we nourish ourselves.
    http://astrogirl.com/blog/Backpacking

Thanks guys; I'm off to wally world for the big purchase. Mark S.

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by astrogirl View Post
    That's exactly what I do too.
    I'll ditto Astrogirl's ditto. Just plain ol trash compactor bags, brand name or store brand. Tough and WHITE, so you can see down into your pack! Plus, it's multi-purpose.

It's what my daughter used on her thru-hike. Gave up on a pack cover pretty quickly, as did I on my section hikes.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

++ New Posts ++