WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Was that just a misprint or did you say that cotton and wool don't decompose?
    I'm pretty sure they do. Not sure how long it takes. Good question though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hoz View Post
    Not entirely true,

There were no American corporations as America wasn't in existence yet. There were however, plenty other corporations, Hudsons Bay Conpany (1670), East India Company (1600) not to mention the Stora Kopparberg, the world oldest corporation in Sweden.

The American Fur Company didn't form until 1808 in order to compete with the HBC.
    You are correct. Different animals in many ways though from what we think of as modern corporations.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I used to be optimistic, but lately I've swung the other way. So much we feared has come true.

When I asked my stepson (an accountant for KPMG, who travels the world counting beans for major corporations) what he thought about the possible world wide meltdown he said, "someone will come up with something".

And that just about sums it up doesn't it?
    Yeah it does.
    We are relying too much on blind faith in a system that is failing us.

Even when we see stuff happening with a green label on it, 99% of the time it isn't real change, its just the same old same. Marketeering and Profiteering. That's all well and good, but we need something else to go with it, to cut through the bull. We need to find a way to get people to see and understand the difference between snake oil and the real deal. We have to find a way to make ourselves better consumers and citizens again.

Maybe it takes another Great Depression, or another World War Two.
    Thing is even those things only delay the inevitable.

Gotta keep trying though. Change starts at home, and with ourselves.
    Maybe we'll all get struck on the Road to Damascus?

You're at least guaranteed to run into a real ass along the way.

Images

I used to be optimistic, but lately I've swung the other way. So much we feared has come true.

When I asked my stepson (an accountant for KPMG, who travels the world counting beans for major corporations) what he thought about the possible world wide meltdown he said, "someone will come up with something".

And that just about sums it up doesn't it?
    Yeah, I'm not as optimistic as many out there. "Someone will come up with something" sounds like Pollyannaism to me. Just wishful thinking. Assets were drastically overvalued and simply won't return to their post Nov. levels until income can support those valuations. Asset overvaluation, especially real estate and financial equities, was absolutely absurd based upon asset to income ratios. With the entire world running on and directly trading their fiat currencies though its hard to figure out how it will play out. If I had a crystal ball I'd be pretty active in the futures market. In the mean time I'll stick to insured savings accounts and penny ante poker--it's a more predictable game.

GTG all. Have homework to do for a night class.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Mis-print.....Cotton and wool ARE decomposable.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Yeah I figured it was misprint.

Recycling is a good thing, but decomposition is a form of recycling too.
    Some lifecycles are best if they are really long, like a bridge for example.
    Some lifecycles are better left short.

Some clothing might last 30 years, other 3 years, but for some items 3 months might be ok as long as they didn't take any more land and energy to produce per wearing. The thing is we need to somehow restructure our natural market forces so that things are engineered for our overall benefit rather than us allowing us to be fooled for short term and narrow minded corporate profit. We need to be frugal, but we need to have some choices out there that allow us to be more frugal.

Do you think corporations will get greener and wiser and friendlier,
    or just better at fooling us and controlling us?

I think all of the above, but not green or wise or friendly enough,
    so we as consumers and citizens have to wise up and man up and keep them honest.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Yeah I figured it was misprint.

Recycling is a good thing, but decomposition is a form of recycling too.
    Some lifecycles are best if they are really long, like a bridge for example.
    Some lifecycles are better left short.

Some clothing might last 30 years, other 3 years, but for some items 3 months might be ok as long as they didn't take any more land and energy to produce per wearing. The thing is we need to somehow restructure our natural market forces so that things are engineered for our overall benefit rather than us allowing us to be fooled for short term and narrow minded corporate profit. We need to be frugal, but we need to have some choices out there that allow us to be more frugal.
    My eatable undies last one night.

Images

I agree! Scare tactic marketing. The best example I can think of is all the anti-bacterial cleansers. Clean up the germs you are gonna get sick. We get sick because we breathe recycled air in our tightly sealed homes, plus this is why you have an immune system. It needs excercise! I believe the best thing is fresh air and just regular old hand washing. I believe a doctor would say the same thing.

I am gonna throw an hypothetical idea out there.....Let say you buy the most durable product say a washing machine made out of raw material plastic. That product should be made to last XX amount of years. That product then reaches its life span and is recycled into say...a something a little less durable and has a lifespan of XX amount of years. That then reaches its lifespan. It is then recycled into a pair of long underwear that you and I love to wear hiking! The fiber material in that "new" pair of underwear might already be 15+ years old. And if you take care of them they may last you 3-5yrs. Does this sound un-realistic.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fehchet View Post
    My eatable undies last one night.
    That is ok.....because your significant other will recylce those into compost for you!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++