WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Trail Bum / Homeless Vet
    Images

Default Southern AZT video

Here is a sample video from the Southern Arizona Trail. Yeah it's that bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9w0734Ygp4

Peace Out

Trail Bum / Homeless Vet
    Images

PS. due to trail difficulty there is some suspect language

Why? Why? Why?

Images

I posted there as well Nuts LoL

hmmm....officially reconsidering my desire to thru hike the AZT
    - AT: Springer to Daleville (714.3 miles) in 2007
    - Bibbulmun Track: End-to-End (600 miles) in 2008

The AZT was recently designated a national scenic trail, perhaps that will help in funding and maintenance.

Worldwide are you still in AZ?

Trail Bum / Homeless Vet
    Images

I am in Idaho Falls, ID. After my trip I fell for a girl I met in Vegas. She lives in ID and I moved in with her. Now I am setting my sights on the Idaho Centennial Trail. Just gotta get my air drops sorted out.

It looks like that area between Four Peaks and the nonexistent town of Sunflower. If so, they haven't done much to improve that section since my 2006 AZT thru hike.

It seems like trail marking and maintenance have taken a back seat to National Trail designation and completing the last few miles. Like Sly said, maybe things will improve with the trial's new status. But I wouldn't count it out, Big Cat. It's still a great long distance trail with lots of beautiful views and challenging terrain.

--Jack Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Worldwide View Post
    I am in Idaho Falls, ID. After my trip I fell for a girl I met in Vegas. She lives in ID and I moved in with her. Now I am setting my sights on the Idaho Centennial Trail. Just gotta get my air drops sorted out.
    Damn, I need some luck like that.

Quote Originally Posted by jafrost View Post
    It looks like that area between Four Peaks and the nonexistent town of Sunflower. If so, they haven't done much to improve that section since my 2006 AZT thru hike.
    I was just in "Sunflower" helping out some friends (took them in to Payson). As bad as the AZT is for trail markings, it's worse for cars.

Trail Bum / Homeless Vet
    Images

I think giving the ATA 50k is like handing a monkey a gun.

The ATA is trying to get 50k with focus on the section from Hope Camp to Manning camp. Oddly enough there are a few trails that already connect that section they just have no official route. The Mica Mtn or even the Tanque Verde trail already connect that section. Are they gonna spend the 50k on 5 carsonite posts / blazes?

I know there is always a ton of red tape when you need 2-3 gov't bodies approval. Engineering crews the environemntal imapct has top be taken into account. I have heard horror stories of 7 years of effort for trail reroutes. So I don't place the blame entirely at the feet of the ATA. However, what they already have approval of they let go to sh&*.

If the current ATA managers can't raise 50k without gov't intervention they need to get rid of 50k in salaries (if anyone is paid) or just make some phone calls and get 50 fortune 500 companies to pony up 1k each. Look in Backpacker magazine call any of the full page advertisers, and ask for 1k. Fundraising isn't that hard if you have a clue! Look at the companies that advertise in outdoor magazines... Canon ( spent 2.5 million each working day on R&D that was in 1998) Minolta, MSR, Granite Gear. 1k is nothing to these corps. How smart do you have to be to get 1k out of 50 companies?

I believe the problems with the AZT are in the initial planning (or lack there of) and mismanagement. Since most of the trail was planned through Wilderness area. Once the Willow fire hit 60k acres in the wilderness the ATA is handcuffed with bringing in sawyers. As more time passes more trees fall obscuring the trail even more. Making the time needed to clear the area even more daunting. Seriously, I think the only way it will be addressed is for another forest fire to burn the fallen trees to ash since the fire was 4-5 years ago, and not one tree has been cut!

It is a cool trail in spots and terrible in others the video is from a section of trail in the 4 peaks area. The 4 peaks Wilderness is childs play compared to the Reavis canyon section. There every 2-3 steps you have to step over a waist high fallen tree for 8+ miles if I recall correctly. I am glad I did it. However, I would never do it again even if 5k of the 50k alloted to the ATA was given directly to me I wouldn't do it again. Just my 2 cents worth

++ New Posts ++