WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 3-4 day hike suggestions

My 3 sons, ages 17-21, have agreed to go on a "man trip" with dad. We have decided to go on a 3-4 day hike, but the boys want something challenging. I want a trip they will remember and am looking for a hike that is a combination of adveture and majestic. A friend suggested the Shenandoah area of the AT, but I am open to anything within a days drive of Illinois. I am looking for advice from experienced hikers, and I thank you in advance!

SNP has alot to offer. Everything from nice overlooks,waterfalls,to some great wildlife. I'll be doing my section hike this june from around Rockfish Gap to Front Royal. A little more then the 3-4 days your looking for,but you get the idea.
    Komu pora,temu czas

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Since you are in IL and with hefty teens, you might consider southern VA - Damascus north through Grayson Highlands SP. great place.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

If you do choose the Shenandoah NP, I suggest looking the Falcon Guide Series on Hiking the Park, or the one on Hiking Virginia.

http://www.trails.com/guidebooks.asp...con+Publishing

Thank you for the input so far, it's very appreciated!

Grayson Highlands is the place to go.

I would recommend Hughes gap to US 19E, by mountain harbor bed and breakfast. I did that section of the AT when I was living in St. Louis, and I think it was about a 12 hour drive. So you should be able to get there in a day.

We spent the night at the B&B, then the next morning they shuttled us to Hughes gap and we hiked back from there. I think we climbed 2000 feet in the first 2 miles, then after that you hit the balds at Carvers Gap. You have some really majestic views there, where you can see the trail a few miles in front of you. That's only about 20 miles, or a 2 day hike.

If you can get the extra travel time, I would recommend going to glacier National Park and hiking the border pass trail, starting at kintla lake. That will be a longer more difficult hike, where you are not necessarily at the top of the food chain. The views out there put everything else to shame...

++ New Posts ++