WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Coffee is a must.

I decided today that having coffee is a must on my upcoming journey. Having used French presses for previous camping/hiking trips, I enjoy coffee best from the French press systems. Anyone believe one to be better than the other? Product suggestions please.

Images

I carried a titanium press for a while but switched back to "Cowboy Coffee".

If I didn't have bad taste I'd have no taste at all.... but I think that mixing a spoonful of instant with a packet of hot chocolate is superior to anything that's ever come out of my friend's various coffee making devices.

Images

http://www.rei.com/product/638124

It weighs 1/2 ounce and in 3-4 minutes you'll have better coffee than you get at home! When I'm not pressed for time I use mine instead of the machine.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Steve/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Stir Fry

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    http://www.rei.com/product/638124

It weighs 1/2 ounce and in 3-4 minutes you'll have better coffee than you get at home! When I'm not pressed for time I use mine instead of the machine.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Steve/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]
    I got one and I'll be staying with my home made coffee maker. I was not happy with the from the REI devise.

Images

Without coffee, there's no point to morning. I discovered that the problem with the little one-cup devices is that they only make one cup! For me, I loose more than that to evaporation. Thus, I went back to cowboy coffee. Pot, hot water just short of boiling, coffee, and a few minutes for the grounds to settle. Several cups later, it's worth getting out of the sleeping bag.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by traftonm View Post
    I got one and I'll be staying with my home made coffee maker. I was not happy with the from the REI devise.
    Curious as to why you didn't like it? Some of the reviews on the website were negative, but almost to a person they were trying to let it sit and steep and it simply won't work that way, you must stir it to get a good cup of java.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ATAlbatross View Post
    I decided today that having coffee is a must on my upcoming journey. Having used French presses for previous camping/hiking trips, I enjoy coffee best from the French press systems. Anyone believe one to be better than the other? Product suggestions please.

I'm with you. No way I could do instant coffee for a hike or any other time come to think about it. I tried a couple different options. The REI tea thing where you put the grounds in a swirl it around never worked well. I used the jet boil coffee press for awhile. It only weighs a few ozs and makes good coffee.

I ended up losing one of the pieces to the coffee press. I ended up using the press part as a screen to filter out the grounds. I put the coffee grounds in my pot, added water, then heated up the water. I stopped before it got to a boil. I heard somewhere it kills the taste of coffee boiling the grounds. I could taste a slight difference. I would let it sit for a few minutes. Then pour it through the top part of the press like a screen.

That actually works pretty well. I think letting it sit helps me to use less grounds for strong coffee. The screen makes it easy to dispose of the grounds. I keep thinking about making a screen just for this, but keep using the old press.

Coffee

Stir Fry

Curious as to why you didn't like it? Some of the reviews on the website were negative, but almost to a person they were trying to let it sit and steep and it simply won't work that way, you must stir it to get a good cup of java.
    Even after ten min. the coffee was still to weak. The 3 oz home made coffee maker I got from W/B is great and makes two cups.

Images

Even after ten min. the coffee was still to weak. The 3 oz home made coffee maker I got from W/B is great and makes two cups.
    Did you remove the plastic insert that sits in the chamber? I filled the chamber level to the top with fresh ground coffee, closed the things up, and had to stop at 3-4 minutes or it would have been too strong...

Stir Fry

Did you remove the plastic insert that sits in the chamber? I filled the chamber level to the top with fresh ground coffee, closed the things up, and had to stop at 3-4 minutes or it would have been too strong...
    Little green insert was removed, Is there another one that i did not see.

Images

Little green insert was removed, Is there another one that i did not see.
    Nope, just didn't work I guess. That was the complaint from alot of reviewers, weak coffee. I have two of them and they work great for me, makes me think it's the grind I'm using.

Stir Fry

I'll try a finer grind befor I give up on it.

Images

I'll try a finer grind befor I give up on it.
    I do grind it pretty fine and I also use a darker roast.

Images

Being a Jetboil weenie, I love the French Press made for the PCS cup. Makes a fabulous cup of bean juice, and like the OP, fresh coffee is a MUST when hiking/camping. Cleaning after use is very easy also.

Images

Java Juice. No extra gear or gadgets. Just hot water, add the Java Juice, and you have excellent coffee. I can get 2 cups from one packet but my husband prefers whole packet for one cup.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

There is a coffee press made to go inside a nagalene bottle it weighs 2-3 ozs. I think venture design works is the maker. IT makes killer coffee. Ya gotta read and follow the direction for a few times but it does what it says.---Two Tents

I can live just fine on instant. To me the cream is the important part, I just can't drink the coffee if it's not loaded with real cream (half and half at the least). that powdered non-dairy crap just won't do!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dr O View Post
    I can live just fine on instant. To me the cream is the important part, I just can't drink the coffee if it's not loaded with real cream (half and half at the least). that powdered non-dairy crap just won't do!
    Get some Ultra High Temperature (UHT) pasteurized Land O Lakes mini-moos 1/2 & 1/2. Has a 2 month (plus) shelf life unrefrigerated.

Available at Staples and other places. Sometimes you can stock up on enough of them for free at convenience stores and gas stations if they use them at the coffee counter.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

I've always enjoyed my coffee black, but my wife has to have creamer in her java. She must have really been bitten by the UL bug though because she informed me the other day she would be leaving the creamer at home and drinking it black to save weight. I'm into UL and all, but what does a small pack of instant creamer weigh? She needs to have some perks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++