WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    but she slept with him and there isn't anything in the rule book that says something has to happen. Ask a lot of married guys...something doesn't happen every night but every night they sleep together.
    Something is supposed to happen? What?
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

so the speculation about earning notches for sleeping with women in shelters also don't count. That's too bad since some of those funny looking guy hikers couldn't get a notch any other way.
    Thankfully, otherwise my wife would never let me hike again.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Something is supposed to happen? What?
    LOL, Well maybe not. This notch on the head board issue was more entertaining as we hiked. Maybe it's akin to ramen noodles.

He masturbated. Does that count?

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by everyman View Post
    Thank you all for the feedback - educational and entertaining!!! So for those who have slept in shelters, what (if any) strategies have you seen deployed to keep mice off of the body? Zip up sleeping bag entirely? Wear some mesh thing around the head? Do the mice crawl into the sleeping bags or just crawl over the outside? And lastly in summer time when it is warm at night and you sleep on top of bag is it worse with no protection wrapped around you?
    One thing that is important to remember is to completely brush the crumbs out of your beard and rinse your mouth out before going to bed. I was awakened once in the Smokys by shouts from the bunk below me. A mouse had crawled up on top this guy's beard and was nibbling around. As for the poster who mentioned his daughter getting her hand bitten....I don't know how old she was, but my daughter is only just now starting to get fastidious about washing her hands and she's 15! Nothing like a little peanut butter residue on your fingers to entice the fearless shelter mice.

Images

LOL, Well maybe not. This notch on the head board issue was more entertaining as we hiked. Maybe it's akin to ramen noodles.
    Yeah, they look so good in the store, all dry and light weight but calorie dense with different flavors. Then day 3 or 4 of the hike you look at the package, get a strange feeling in your stomach, and start to drool over your buddies mac and cheese...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

There isn't anything you can do to avoid mice in shelters really, perhaps the only thing would be to use a bug bivy or something like that but to be honest, most experienced hikers I know prefer camping regardless of the weather.

Although I often aim for shelters, it's mainly due to good campsites and water sources, and in the south bear cables to some degree, but I very rarely sleep in the shelter itself these days.

I remember one night I was in my tent and this group of hikers (weekenders) were walking up the trail and they saw my tent and were like "ah damn the shelter must be full" or something like that and they were just so delighted that the shelter was empty, something I just don't understand.

Images

Default Shelters R Us

When I started hiking the AT in the 70's I do not remember there being many shelters and the few I came across were trashed and not usable. I use to hike until I felt it was time to stop. On a nice night I did not even set up a shelter, just slept on my top of my pad so I could watch the stars. I had to relocate one night and set up a tent when the mosquitoes came out.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by everyman View Post
    Can someone provide some insight into some practical issues having to do with sleeping in shelters? First off - I am guessing that sleeping bags would be positioned perpendicular to the shelter opening with head against back wall and feet towards opening on shelter. Is that the case? Also if there is driving rain which is coming into outer edge of shelter floor, does everyone usually have some tarp with them to keep feet end of bags from getting drenched?
    Mostly, when it's quite cold, everyone lays very closely snuggling with each other in the center of the shelter. As long as someone isn't wet and very cold they are often invited to also snuggle. After awhile people start touching one another. The down starts to fly. It's disgusting, but in a good way.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++