WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fehchet View Post
    I've often thought the shelters should be eliminated. Then have a park bench every mile or so. The benches would be great places to sit down and rest or have a snack or take a snooze. After a few years tent sites would probably appear around some of the benches. Maybe wfi and licensed massage therapists too.
    Self service Starbucks should mandated by the ATC! MMMMMMM, Mocha Light Frappachino and scones...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

it's a shame so many are dependent on shelters; it really controls the hiking miles and doesn't allow one to explore other trails.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    there could be additional tent pads, instead of shelters, at the current locations. there are many campsites on the AT that do not have a wooden box and are quite nice.
    Exactly. Nice clean campsites.

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    I can't understand WANTING to sleep with vermin.
    Are you referring to the hikers or the mice?

Quote Originally Posted by Bilge Rat View Post
    Are you referring to the hikers or the mice?
    i think he meant both

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    One other small consideration. Most sleeping platforms in the shelters have a slight downward tilt going toward the opening. It is hard to detect, but I have a special sense for such things (it's my gift). This may be important if you're prone to head congestion or acid reflux.
    you have a six sense you see tilt people
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Images

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    So do you completely avoid hotels, restaraunts, bars, public transportation, etc. Sanitation is imperfect pretty much everywhere.
    Thank God for Hepatitis A vaccine two shots prevent that and 3 shots of jack daniels cures the rest
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Images

Everyman:

Next time, ask about using your cell phone, or your gun, or something less controversial <grin>.

Everybody else, chill. We *know* you don't use shelters. You keep telling us over and over and over again. Thank you. The OP asked for some specific advice.

Quote Originally Posted by everyman View Post
    Can someone provide some insight into some practical issues having to do with sleeping in shelters?
    You'll want a piece of tyvek or plastic to use as a ground sheet. Put your sleeping pad and bag on top (duh.) You can sleep in either direction -- depends on the situation. If it's buggy you might want a head net or some DEET, but the mice really won't be a big deal if you use *ear plugs.* Do not forget the ear plugs.

There are usually strings hanging from the rafters with a tuna can to block the mice, used for hanging your food bag. You'll probably have to share. Usually works okay, but if the shelter has bear cables outside, use those instead. Many newer shelters have big wooden pegs to hang your pack along the wall. Leave the pocket zippers open. Don't leave any food in your sleeping bag unless you want the mice to visit.

Etiquette: Don't spread your stuff all over the place. If there are more than a couple of people there, keep everything on top of your sleeping bag/pad. That's your space. Try to be quiet after dark. Don't talk on your cell phone. Don't walk outside and pee right behind the shelter. Do keep the place clean, sign the register, and enjoy pleasant conversation with other people who share your (very) unusual interest in walking through the woods with a pack.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Big Cranky - Did not expect so much passionate feedback, but that is what this type of forum allows for. I was simply looking for practical advice as I am looking to do some overnight hikes this summer and was planning to hammock but wondered how it worked in shelters as I have never used one before. I am aware of all the people related issues that can happen (stay up late, fart, be inconsiderate, etc) but was not aware of the weather/mice stuff. No ill intended.

Nice post bigcranky. One thing I would like to add before i move on...

if the weather is really, really bad and the shelter is empty, be prepared for an invasion of prep school kids with an attitude (or some other group of whiners), lots of wet muddy boots and a leader who keeps whining, 'oh my, i didn't mean for all 16 to move in this shelter built for 10. i mean we do have tents.' bro and i took one look at each other and said, 'yep, time to pack out' and left in a huge downpour with nightfall quickly approaching. true story and last time i will ever attempt to stay in a dirty wooden box. but y'all have fun now... i leave you to your own pleasures.

Quote Originally Posted by everyman View Post
    Big Cranky - Did not expect so much passionate feedback, but that is what this type of forum allows for. I was simply looking for practical advice as I am looking to do some overnight hikes this summer and was planning to hammock but wondered how it worked in shelters as I have never used one before. I am aware of all the people related issues that can happen (stay up late, fart, be inconsiderate, etc) but was not aware of the weather/mice stuff. No ill intended.
    no ill intended here either... just trying to help.

stay in your hammock and you won't have all these issues.

Its a personal choice, try one out for yourself. I've spent many more nights in a tent than a AT shelter. There are lots of other trails besides the AT. I find the convenience outweighs the negatives in most cases.

If you like it, it doesn't mean you're lazy or unclean, or whatever else the anti-shelterist say. HYOH.

OK, many of you shelter dwellers don't carry a shelter alternative. During my 2000 thru hike I was hiking with TUK and a young woman. The young woman wasn't carrying any type of shelter. When we made camp she was going to cowboy camp (or cowgirl) but it started to rain. TUK made room in his tent and all was good. The next day we tried to settle the issue that resulted from that night. Here's the question: Does TUK get a notch on his headboard for sleeping with the young woman even though nothing happened? I don't think we ever resolved the issue but we did talk about it for a long time.

No, it doesn't count.

No, it doesn't count.
    but she slept with him and there isn't anything in the rule book that says something has to happen. Ask a lot of married guys...something doesn't happen every night but every night they sleep together.

The notches aren't for actually sleeping. Some "afternoon delight" gets you a notch.

The notches aren't for actually sleeping. Some "afternoon delight" gets you a notch.
    so the speculation about earning notches for sleeping with women in shelters also don't count. That's too bad since some of those funny looking guy hikers couldn't get a notch any other way.

Images

Maybe I should turn in my membership card, because I prefer shelters for the most part. Most of the issues can be easily negated with a very small amount of prep work. Worried about loudmouths or snorers? Earplugs weigh next to nothing. Mice getting into your pack? Hang the whole thing from the bear cables, not just the food bag.
    And tho our health we drank a thousand times, it's time to ramble on...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    been years since i slept in a shelter but i slept with my head near the opening. mice won't run over your head then. don't ruin a nice day of walking by sleeping in a dirty wooden box with 10 others. makes no sense
    I know this doesn't help answer the initial question but I have to agree with Lone Wolf. If you're tired and want a good night's sleep...you might get it in a shelter but a safe bet on a good sleep is away from the shelter...just my opinion.

Rain won't bother you inside a shelter 99% of the time and many have tarps. Most sleep with the head towards the opening and feet to the wall.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Does TUK get a notch on his headboard for sleeping with the young woman even though nothing happened?
    Only if he packed the headboard in and out.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++