WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DWG Hostel - Open To Non Hikers?

Myself and 3 others are doing some aqua blazing along the Delaware River next weekend. Hoping to cover the 40 mile stretch of the DWG NP and camping along the river bank.

Does anyone know if a. the hostel on the PA side of the bridge is open now? and b. is it uncool for non hikers to stay there?

Blake
    Last edited by RITBlake; 04-21-2009 at 19:18.

i say uncool. get a motel

i know they don't serve hikers that roll up with vehicle support. and too many hikers jumping up for the hikers feed(one day a week)it was suppose to be for hikers that walk into DWG(hostel) that day!

According to the Companion it's limited to long distance hikers. No car, van or support vehicle parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    According to the Companion it's limited to long distance hikers. No car, van or support vehicle parking.
    yeah what he said

Thanks for the info guys, time to book a motel room.

That sounds like a pretty good idea for a trip. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu View Post
    That sounds like a pretty good idea for a trip. Thanks
    Here's a pdf that helps w/ the planning, fishing info, campsite info, etc..

http://www.delrivgreenway.org/pdf/Wa...2007-01-22.pdf

Also lots of info on the NPS DWG website.

Images

It's early in the season...not many hikers around that area. Why not call and offer to do some fix up, clean up at the hostel to prepare for the coming surge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    It's early in the season...not many hikers around that area. Why not call and offer to do some fix up, clean up at the hostel to prepare for the coming surge.
    Not a bad idea but we'll be coming in around 7 p.m. and will be out of there by 7 a.m. Not to mention will probably want to have a couple beers in town so maybe a motel is best.

So I forgot to post here after the trip, but let me say this... canoe camping is awesome.

Your canoe can easily carry lots of gear so things like beer coolers, bocce sets, real rain gear, lighter fluid etc are at your fingertips.

We had some rain and clouds on the first day but on day 2 it cleared up.

Photo below is our riverside campsite. We bought a huge tarp on craigslist and rigged it up which kept us perfectly dry during the big rain that came during the night.

Definitely looking to go again sometime this Summer and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good weekend on the water

and below is me doing my best Steve The Ferryman impression.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

So do you own that Canoe? I was thinking about getting into Canoeing Camping but I'd be starting from ignorant scratch.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    So I forgot to post here after the trip, but let me say this... canoe camping is awesome.

and below is me doing my best Steve The Ferryman impression.

Yes, canoe camping is awesome, that appears to be an old town discovery canoe and old town paddle. Got the same set myself, have enjoyed them for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    So do you own that Canoe? I was thinking about getting into Canoeing Camping but I'd be starting from ignorant scratch.
    Yes, Mike and I bought one last summer off craigslist for around $300.

We had never canoe camped before but we went with my brother who does it a lot who showed us the ropes. Basically...anything you ever dreamed of having on a backpacking trip you can bring in your canoe.

We did the 40 mile section through the DWG which was a great place to learn. There are island and beach campsites scattered every few miles.

You learn very quickly as you go.

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    that appears to be an old town discovery canoe and old town paddle. Got the same set myself, have enjoyed them for 20 years.
    Yes that is correct sir, it worked out great. We are however, upgrading our paddles to larger, longer, lighter, wood models.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    No you wouldn't. Backcountry camping requires the same skills whether your mode of travel is nautical or pedestrian. In fact after coming back to hiking after years of canoe camping, I'd say that hiking is a more advanced form of camping that is much less forgiving of poor gear choices. Canoe handling is a skill set that you can gain, you've got everything else.

A cooler full of beer on a 3 day float is an amazing luxury.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Craptacular. A Canoe. I haven't the money to buy it or a comparable vehicle to move it.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

No you wouldn't. Backcountry camping requires the same skills whether your mode of travel is nautical or pedestrian. In fact after coming back to hiking after years of canoe camping, I'd say that hiking is a more advanced form of camping that is much less forgiving of poor gear choices. Canoe handling is a skill set that you can gain, you've got everything else.

Wow....couldn't have said it better myself so I won't even try but that basically sums it. My brother has been canoe camping for years yet....yet I think he definitely learned some new things from Mike and I's fanatically efficient packing and planning techniques and methods.

So true. Freeze some burgers or hot dogs the night before and you've got a winning combination.

When I was there in 06 they planely stated they were only letting hikers stay there, although after much wrangling and smooth talking they let a long distance bicylist/so called hiker stay because there was space available under the condition that if a hiker came in the bicylist was to vacate thier bed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++