WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Name and shame

Images

I thru-hiked pure in 1999. I had just gotten out of the Marine Corps and I set my parameters.

1) Always walk the white blazes.

2) Always carry my pack.

3) Always start where you finished the previous day and continue north.

It was an idea of completing a northern pilgramage, self sufficient, with all my gear. In the end, I did it that way because of plain Marine stubborness.

And at times, walking all the white blazes became a major distraction to that purpose. On a couple of occasions, I missed a section by accident. So I foolishly walked backwards down the trail to where I made the wrong turn and then walked north again up the trail. No true pilgram would have done this.

I've slackpacked other trails in sections. It rules! It's almost like a day off without actually taking a day off. It's a joyful experience I missed on my thru-hike, except for that last 5 miles up to Katahdin and back.

I've flip-flopped trail sections in the last couple of years to make things a bit easier with my wife who is somewhat new to backpacking. It did not lessen my experience with her in the slightest. It fact, it probably enhanced it because she was not nearly so wiped out at the end of each day.

I've since gone back and done much of the southern AT in sections, often with the intent to take the blue blazes and see what I missed the first time around. And brother, if you're missing the blue blazes you're often missing out on some of the very best the trail corridor has to offer. I've hiked past waterfalls that the current AT never sees. I've hiked into towns that you would have to hitch or road walk to reach on the "new" AT, while the older blue-blaze route takes you where you want to go in the first place. My sections have been richer in many ways than my thru-hike of a decade ago.

If you walk 2000+ miles from Georgia to Maine or vice versa, congratulations, you've done a lot of walking. But if you've truly lived and loved the experience, then you've really had a successful thru-hike.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    Good call. Whykickameintheasscauseistupid, you should get a copy of Mags book HMHDI.

You could hike all 2175 whiteblazed miles with it shoved conveniently wherever you want it

Someone walks over 2000 miles, I don't care where there feet landed every step. Don't diminish someone elses accomplishment and get off your high horse.
    "I hiked the Appalachian Trail."

---- Bill Bryson, "A Walk In The Woods"
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Christus Cowboy
    Images

Interesting discussion.... Here's what application says for what its worth:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/...pplication.pdf
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

I think hikers should enjoy their experience in the way that suits them best. I do find it odd that people will sign a form declaring that they made an honest effort to follow the entire white-blazed trail when they did not.
    - AT: Springer to Daleville (714.3 miles) in 2007
    - Bibbulmun Track: End-to-End (600 miles) in 2008

i've got 5 certificates and i'm still missing some sections of the AT

I do not understand why all these rules for hiking ?? Hiking is to live in freedom.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    I do not understand why all these rules for hiking ?? Hiking is to live in freedom.
    When your feet are beating down on the AT, there is plenty of freedom. It's only on the world wide web that "hikers" spend their time beating each other down.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I hiked as a purist back then, when I hiked the AT. Right up until the last day, when I climbed Katahdin in a near-blizzard in late October and I had an eye infection. I followed my hiking buddy to the sign, and half the time, we had no idea where the actual trail was. We were desperate to see blazes or cairns, and not get lost in the snow. I remember at one point, he saw a small sign and walked over to see what it said. He never cursed or swore, and I heard it let loose with a barrage of profanity. When I asked him what the sign said, he said, "Please Stay On The Trail!". I still smile when I think of that. Do I feel I hiked the entire AT, and that I am a thru-hiker? Damn straight. I think the Trail Gods were just having some fun with me.

My purism died on the PCT a few years later; floods, deserts, trails running off in all direction, snow-impacted passes and switchbacks, making up your own route when the guidebook was wrong. But, I hiked a continual route from Mexico to Canada; not a purist, but a "continuist". There are NO purists on the PCT; it is not possible.

Get over it.
    RainmakerAT92
    www.trailquest.net

Whykickamoocow, why do you care what other people do? How does someone getting a 2000 mile patch when they only hiked 1900 diminish your accomplishment. Are you really so insecure that you have to seek validation from people you've never even met? If it's all about the patch and recognition from strangers for you I would say you hiked a long way and missed the point. As for those that blueblaze, they might be doing it just to avoid the OCD judgemental insecure purists . Maybe they should create a different patch just for the purists. When they do Ill try to get my hands on a case of them and hand them out at trail days.

Images

I have yet to do my thru hike, so my opinion might not hold much weight. Having said that, I must say that as I've aged and my priorities have changed, so has my vision of what my thru hike will be. I used to feel it was important to "SEE" every white blaze. I no longer see that as a requirement to a successful hike. I am much more interested in experiencing both the trail and the local residents in the areas we will pass through, more like a tour of Appalachia than a hike on a long trail.

This is one of those areas where HYOH does apply in my opinion.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

I started my hike in 1975 and finished in 2007 during that time the trail changed every year, does that mean I can not claim my patch? If another hiker claims a thru hike and is lying they are the ones that have to live with the lie.

Hike your own hike, and enjoy it.
    WalkingStick"75"

Images

I have no problems with purism and at this point, I am plannig to be an almost-purist when I hike form Maine to Georgia this year. I do find it silly however, that the purest of the pure insist on backtracking from a shelter to rejoin the trail where they left it rather than rejoining the trail from the side trail at the other end of the shelter.

However pure I hope to be, I have no plans of imposing my chosen manner of hiking on others. Everyone should enjoy the trail in the way that makes them most content with their endeavors.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you're way too concerned about others and what others think of you
    You really said it all. The opinion of someone else only matters if you let it.

[quote=zoidfu;827110]Thru hikers should have to wear shock collars with GPS beacons. That way, we can keep track of them and deliver 50,000 volts in the case of a deviation.[/quote

Great idea. They could also be modified and work great for dopers that stray into hostels that post prominent rules for guests. Then the dogs can be only brought out when necessary. If they aren't carrying a stash they have no worries. I like the concept.

[quote=nufsaid;827240]
    Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu View Post
    Thru hikers should have to wear shock collars with GPS beacons. That way, we can keep track of them and deliver 50,000 volts in the case of a deviation.[/quote

Great idea. They could also be modified and work great for dopers that stray into hostels that post prominent rules for guests. Then the dogs can be only brought out when necessary. If they aren't carrying a stash they have no worries. I like the concept.
    See, I was joking. You aren't. That's the difference between you and I

I can see why your name is Nufsaid- Because you've said enough. I'm guessing that name was given to you.

[quote=nufsaid;827240]
    Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu View Post
    Thru hikers should have to wear shock collars with GPS beacons. That way, we can keep track of them and deliver 50,000 volts in the case of a deviation.[/quote

I thought the Damascus K9 died last year or so? I remember reading about it in the paper, apparently they couldn't figure out why it died after only 2 months on duty.

I'd be offended if anyone thought I was a purist anything.

Images

Why do we seek the trail ( any trail ) and then impose so many man made rules?

Are we really trying to get back to basics or are we trying to experience a man made up phenomena, "I hiked the trail" ?

Certificates, Patches, White Blazers, Blue Blazers...................

Its no wonder at all, that Bill Bryson was and is able to stir up so much emotion over such a simple thing.......a walk in the woods.

[quote=Dr O;827251]
    Quote Originally Posted by nufsaid View Post

I thought the Damascus K9 died last year or so? I remember reading about it in the paper, apparently they couldn't figure out why it died after only 2 months on duty.
    I think the dog got into the chiefs' stash and overdosed on meth.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Defending our attachments creates a lot of suffering.... (refer to the thread about the Buddhist monks..)

I'm section hiking the AT with the goal of hiking the entire trail by the time I'm 50. I'm not doing any blue blazing and every section I hike I make a point of starting at least a few feet before I stopped my last section in that spot to "connect the dots" as it were...

That's just me - what someone else does doesn't affect what I do even a little.

I've hiked several sections more than once and blue blazed guilt-free then.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++