WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Rattlenake in SNP

Saw our first Rattlesnake yesterday. Have heard conflicting stories on what to do if bit. Can anyone shed some light please. Lucky for us he heard us coming and started rattling before we even saw him. Thanks

Images

No picture? See the gallery for some very nice pics of rattlesnakes on the trail. Fortunately, bites are rare. The latest info says do not cut, or use a tourniquet and do not ice. Stay calm and seek imediate medical attention. That rattle is vey handy, the first one I heard I about jumped ten feet in the air!

Images

Like This ??

Yes MD Hiker, exactly.

See MD Hikers Pic. We were in same area.

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

I think most rattlesnake bites involve young males and alcohol. The incident usually starts with " Watch this".

Images

Admire their beauty from a safe distance, take your picture and leave them alone. They aren't aggressive and will only bite you if you cause them to feel threatened. You're too big for them to eat, after all, so they have no reason to bother you unless you get in their space. I don't bother rattlesnakes unless they are in my space (my house) and that mutual understanding has worked for me so far.
    They are cool to see out in the woods though. I hate seeing them behind glass on display.

In the unlikely event of a bite, just seek medical care as soon as possible. It is NOT necessary to bring the snake to the hospital for identification purposes. Hospital staffs rightfully take a very dim view of bringing snakes (alive or dead) into their emergency room.
    RainmakerAT92
    www.trailquest.net

Images

Yeah, they aren't aggressive. The only people I know personally that have been bitten by a rattler were either keeping them as a pet, trying to catch one, trying to kill one, or doing it as part of a religious exercise. If you aren't doing any of those things you shouldn't have to worry. A doctor told me to apply cold, keep calm and get to an ER ASAP. If I'm in the woods, I won't have access to anything cold, I won't be calm and it will take a while to get to an ER. I just try to be careful to not get bitten and don't worry about it. Always watch where you step, don't step over a log where you can't see what you are stepping on and don't screw with a rattler for any reason. Take a picture and admire it's beauty from a safe distance, then give it a wide berth.

Images

I didn't mean to post twice, computer problems, sorry. Thought a gremlin ate my first, sorry.

Images

Do NOT apply cold as it localizes venom and increases tissue damage at the site. In the absence of a direct venous envenomation a healthy person can deal systemicly with any of our eastern subspecies of rattlesnakes. If you did sustain a direct venous envenomation, cold would not help slow the spread of venom to any degree.

If bitten, remain calm, keep the bitten extremity below the level of the heart where possible, and limit movement as much as possible during rapid access to the emergency services system. This can be difficult when hiking, but do your best to limit movement where possible and if forced to hike out, do so at a very moderate pace, DO NOT run.

As has been stated, if you leave them alone they will leave you alone.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Nearly stepped on this one a couple of miles north of Abingdon Gap shelter last August.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We saw one on the Big Devils Stair trail in SNP a few years back. A huge timber rattler. The name of the trail fit it, I guess.

Check online for up to date info on snakebites. But your chances of being bitten are remote. I've seen several and they let you know they are there. My son nearly hit one with his walking stick in '07 in NJ.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Reprobate View Post
    I think most rattlesnake bites involve young males and alcohol. The incident usually starts with " Watch this".
    Yea I heard that too, only where do young male rattlers purchase alcohol on the trail without ID?

Interesting reading.
    http://www.blogofpureawesome.com/200...nake-bite.html

Life Lesson#1 from a near Darwin Award
    http://douchebagotry.com/?p=3
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I heard if ya get bit to cut off that appendage. If ya get bit in the leg just hack it off.

Since I was there when this rattlesnake picture, I can say that it was a real big rattler.

Since I was there when this rattlesnake picture was taken, I can say that it was a real big rattler.

++ New Posts ++