WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Amicalola to Dick's creek section

I am planning a 1 week section hike (Sat.-Sat.)during the last week of Sept. '09 starting Amicalola Falls SP and going to Dick's Creek Gap. (possibly to the Ga/NC line if I have time.
    -What will the Ave low and high temps and general weather be at that time?
    -Water availability?
    -Can you recommend a hotel/shuttle where I can leave my car and will take me to AFSP and pick up at Dick's creek Gap?
    -I thought that I would spend the first night at the Len Foote Hike Inn. Any reason not to?
    -I am currently planning to travel solo. Are there many other hikers in this area at that time of year?
    -Any problems with leaves obscuring the trail?

Thanks in advance. This site is a great source of info.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Check out the Hiker Hostel for accommodations and shuttle options.
    http://www.hikerhostel.com/

And you should check on water closer to your start date as that can vary depending on tropical systems in the summer.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

The GATC and Mountain Crossings websites both have water info on them.

If staying at the Hike Inn make a reservation.

Images

This is almost the exact hike my wife and I are planning. We are leaving our car at the Hike Inn and going to Fontana over 13-14 days. We will then spend a night at the Hike Inn in Fontana before getting a shuttle back to the first Hike Inn (easy to remember where I'll be staying : )). We hope to leave around the 27th of September and finish around the 10th or 11th of October. There should be some nice fall colors by the time we get to the Smokies.

Hope to see you on the trail!
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Engine,
    That sounds like a good trip. My preference would have been two weeks but I can't be away from family and work that long. Do you have any information about the weather at that time of year?

I live in north Georgia, not far from the AT. I always disregard weather forecasts and plan for the worst possible weather that can occur in the area I'm hiking in.

From Amicola Falls to Dick's Creek Gap in late September, the "worst case" scenario would be lows in the low/mid 30's at the higher elevations, possible heavy rains and high winds. Normal weather conditions for that time of year are highs in the mid-60's / low-70's and lows in the low/mid-40's. Late summer / early fall weather can be very nice, but it can get rainy, cold and windy, too.

Previously, peak color in fall was last two weeks in October, however, for the past few years, it has been a bit later than that, with fall color lasting into early November.
    RainmakerAT92
    www.trailquest.net

Did Unicoi to Franklin last year, 2nd week of Oct. Rainmaker is right on with weather (we didn't see anything in the 30's but looking at historical records says we coulda). Had some days in mid 70's. Leaf colors on mtn tops were just starting to turn towards the end of the week, with some very nice 30-40 acre patches.

We did Amicalola to Unicoi 2 years ago in late September and it was HOT (80's).

By the way, we just gave my hiking buddy the trailname "rainmaker" cause it rains whenever he hikes. 2 years running it rained in GA during our trips in spite of there being an "exceptional draught".

Water was a problem 2 years ago, not so last year, and I think things are looking pretty good for this fall, especially since we plan to do Franklin to Fontana Oct 10-16, so it'll rain that week!!

I recommend you stay at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega and they'll shuttle you both ways. Also plan an overnight (or at least a shower) at Neel Gap.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    The GATC and Mountain Crossings websites both have water info on them.

If staying at the Hike Inn make a reservation.

Hiker Hostel is the one at Dahlonega near Amicalola.

Hike Inn is the one by Fontana dam.

Can get confusing.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Hiker Hostel is the one at Dahlonega near Amicalola.

Hike Inn is the one by Fontana dam.

Can get confusing.
    It certainly can.

The (other) Hike Inn is 4 ish miles from Amicalola State Park on a yellow blaze trail and links up to the approach trail. Thats the Hike Inn that me and the OP referred to.

++ New Posts ++