WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Man, it got hot out!

Five days ago (more or less) we were hiking in snow flurries, then a day later in 80-85 degree temps with lots of Been wishing the green tunnel would hurry up and start to give some shade up on these VA ridge walks. In Pearisburg now, I'd guess about 30 thru hikers have passed by me so far, these are all the early March starters and many of them are moving right along. Quite a few short and long section hikers around too.

Suppost to cool off a little this week, but with T-Storms possible. Always something
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Was thinking of all you guys out there. Hope you stayed cool. Watch out for changing weather pattern in VA Wed.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

In Maryland it is hot and sunny and leaves just barely out.

Images

Default Heat

I went out for a 15 mile hike today in Linden. It was hot where there was no tree cover. I was surprised at how many thru hikers have already come thru looking at the registers. The leaves are coming out up to about the 2000 foot level here. The leaves on the trees above 3500 feet in the SNP come out in mid to late May. There was a nice breeze today so it wasn't so bad.

Images

I went for a trail run at the GA International Horse Park tonight. This is the first time the ticks and mosquitoes have been out.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

I hiked Devil's Fork Gap to Tanyard Gap over the weekend. It was hot, hot, hot grinding uphill in the sun. Leaves not out yet. Some sort of biting fly was rampant.

Great wildflowers, though. Spring beauties, wild geraniums, a few triliums (trilia?), exceptional trout lilies this year, and my personal favorites, wild iris.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Default biting fly

speaking of the flies. How do we treat the bites?
    Two weeks later some of mine still itch, in spite of regular treatment with an "itch cream" (topical analgesic).

I'm thinking clear nailpolish, but haven't gotten around to buying any yet.

TIA
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Two weeks later some of mine still itch, in spite of regular treatment with an "itch cream" (topical analgesic).

TIA
    I scratch the bites. It hurts so good. I stop short of turning the bites into open wounds, though. Occasionally I'll take some Benadryl.

I don't know about the nail polish idea. With chiggers, the critter is supposed to be living there on your skin. The polish is supposed to suffocate them. The flies bite and leave. (Except the ones I smashed. Hah!)
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I went for a trail run at the GA International Horse Park tonight. This is the first time the ticks and mosquitoes have been out.
    I've got the dreaded 2" diameter red ring around a deer tick bite, and will be calling the doc in the AM
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post

TIA

Could very well be chigger bites. Nail polish has worked for me in the past.

Hiking Blog

Images

Default Rod Hollow Shelter in Northern Virginia

I did a short day hike on Old Rag in SNP yesterday and I did a short day hike this morning near Rod Hollow Shelter in Northern Virginia. Rain cut me short, but it's definitely green in Shenandoah and Northern Virginia. Maybe the very highest elevations (over 3200 feet) might have another week to go, but that's at the most. Ticks everywhere.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Images

Default watch out what you wish for....

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Five days ago (more or less) we were hiking in snow flurries, then a day later in 80-85 degree temps with lots of Been wishing the green tunnel would hurry up and start to give some shade up on these VA ridge walks. In Pearisburg now, I'd guess about 30 thru hikers have passed by me so far, these are all the early March starters and many of them are moving right along. Quite a few short and long section hikers around too.

Suppost to cool off a little this week, but with T-Storms possible. Always something
    Yep, snow on April 22, then warmed up continuously, till May 1st I was sweating like (you fill it in)... anyway, I was just wishing for a little cool when it started to rain Sat evening May 2nd..., rained all day May 3rd, 4th, and 5th... till I was so wet my Precip didn't even keep me dry. Shivering in the cold and wet. So watch out what you wish for, I got my cooler weather, but it didn't make me happy...

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I've got the dreaded 2" diameter red ring around a deer tick bite, and will be calling the doc in the AM
    egads! good luck at the doc

I got chiggers while camping in Florida. I used liquid bandage and it worked like a charm
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Yep, snow on April 22, then warmed up continuously, till May 1st I was sweating like (you fill it in)... anyway, I was just wishing for a little cool when it started to rain Sat evening May 2nd..., rained all day May 3rd, 4th, and 5th... till I was so wet my Precip didn't even keep me dry. Shivering in the cold and wet. So watch out what you wish for, I got my cooler weather, but it didn't make me happy...
    Yep, after 3 days of sweltering heat, I got to Pearisburg and sent most of my warm stuff home..then it got cool and wet out for 8 or more days! It did make for reasonably pleasent hiking weather, but not so good to camp in. At least there was pleanty of shelter space. Plus all that rain made the forest bloom, and that was nice to see too. Missed a number of the better vista views in centeral VA cuz of the rain though...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yep, after 3 days of sweltering heat, I got to Pearisburg and sent most of my warm stuff home..then it got cool and wet out for 8 or more days! It did make for reasonably pleasent hiking weather, but not so good to camp in. At least there was pleanty of shelter space. Plus all that rain made the forest bloom, and that was nice to see too. Missed a number of the better vista views in centeral VA cuz of the rain though...
    Umm, 80-85 is not sweltering heat. We tolerate 92 to 100 with 70% humidity for three months in the summer. Clear fingernail polish and Chiggerex will take care of them redbugs, but expect two weeks and don't scratch. Chiggers make their appearance just about the same time when the blackberries are ripe, after the first rain.

There's no leaves and tree cover in VA? It's either green as can be or I must be in the wrong state.

I know about chiggers because they love blackberry vines and my wife loves blackberries on her cereal every morning, so me and Mr. Chigger get real close and personal about June 1 until June 30.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leeki pole View Post
    Umm, 80-85 is not sweltering heat. We tolerate 92 to 100 with 70% humidity for three months in the summer.
    This is what is known as hiker's off season in the South.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah it's gonna get hotter before it gets cooler... Eventually. Right now it's rain, rain here in VA.

Hiking Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++