WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Default Mad Kiwis

1. "2pack" the hiker is cool, worked for me and his gear is legit.
    2. I got an email from (Ron & Merryll burr) aka the Mad Kiwis, Ron is the guy that "Spike" assaulted. Ron and Merryll are in there 60's, both less then 6' tall.
    Ron's version is that Spike accused him of punching him in the face. As Ron left the shelter, Spike punched Ron in the back of the shoulder. Ron has torn ligaments on his rotator cuff, he's in Ohio with friends and hopes to have surgery here in the States and then get back on the trail, hopefully within 2 months.
    Ron said that if he did hit Spike in the face that Spike would still be lying there.
    Spike - claims to be ex-military and a pro cage fighter and needs off the trail.
    I hope, I know you Yanks up North of the trail will take care of business.

A description to go along with the name would be nice to have.

And why haven't the police caught up with this guy yet? They could probably do it pretty easily if they wanted to.

Don't have a description. The folks up in Damascus might since he was sighted up there.
    I don't know what the Mad Kiwis want to do. I emailed them this morning (5/30) and offered to help track him. The ball is in his court.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisvowen View Post
    1. "2pack" the hiker is cool, worked for me and his gear is legit.
    2. I got an email from (Ron & Merryll burr) aka the Mad Kiwis, Ron is the guy that "Spike" assaulted. Ron and Merryll are in there 60's, both less then 6' tall.
    Ron's version is that Spike accused him of punching him in the face. As Ron left the shelter, Spike punched Ron in the back of the shoulder. Ron has torn ligaments on his rotator cuff, he's in Ohio with friends and hopes to have surgery here in the States and then get back on the trail, hopefully within 2 months.
    Ron said that if he did hit Spike in the face that Spike would still be lying there.
    Spike - claims to be ex-military and a pro cage fighter and needs off the trail.
    I hope, I know you Yanks up North of the trail will take care of business.
    Yea I should have clarified about 2pack. He seemed harmless, just the whole carrying suitcases thing that caught us by surprise. Sorry Curtis.
    So this Spike guy should get hunted down!

This is a journal from the night of the incident.

From TJ's Jennifer and Greg Olson's journal dated April 8, 2009 at Groundhog Shelter:

We slept very well in the cabin! So warm! Only 2 more days and about 33 miles until we meet our friends. A lot of the snow on the ground had melted overnight, at Standing Bear anyway. We got packed up and headed out. The trail was pretty good to begin with, only muddy. The trail became icier and slicker and more covered in snow as the hike went on. The trail became some slick and was almost impossible to stay upright while walking. The huge climb up Snowbird Mt. was tough and our legs were so tired from trying to stay on our feet. And we thought hiking in the mud was bad! It took us about 7 hours to get 7 miles to the first shelter. We decided to stay there, we were tired and knew the trail would get worse. The Mad Kiwi's were there and their friend Vagrant. Atreyu and Sassafras also decided to stay. There was just enough room for everyone in the shelter. Although everything was covered in snow we managed to get a pretty good fire. Later, Spike and the Little Engine came in and Minnesota Smith. Spike caused some problems and killed the good time we were having. Never got too cold during the night so we slept pretty comfy.

Wandering Vagabond
    Images

I found this photo on Trail Journals of Spike's message to the world:

Yea we saw this at Overmountain last week. Guy reminds me of Walking Man.

Huh, I guess Spike doesn't feel the kiwis should enjoy the same rights and freedoms on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by DAJA View Post
    Huh, I guess Spike doesn't feel the kiwis should enjoy the same rights and freedoms on the trail.
    Im going on a limb here. We have met some really great men and women on the trail this year. One guy we met this March at Miss Janet's in Franklin, ex military. He had some adjustments to make with the whole hiking thing and dealing with PTSD. We ran into him at Standing Bear and he is doing so well. Having the time of his life and just going with the flow now.
    Then we met a guy outside of Franklin that was a complete a**hole telling us that we owed him because he is ex military. I am not saying anything against anyone in the service. I commend them! I appreciate what people like Sgt Rock and Lone Wolf and others have done for this country. I do think that SOME of these people on the trail have become unstable and want a huge thank you from everyone that passes or else they are going to get upset. Now, I know they have seen things that most of us cannot even fathom. It really upsets me when people in general, harrass people on the trail, but when you assault someone that has done nothing, you dont deserve the rights and freedoms on the trail.
    Thank you to those who have served and are serving!

Frankly, I don't care if your ex-military, current military, the president or the pope, if your an A-hole your an A-hole... No amount of credentials, degree's or medals will change that... And if you willfully hurt someone that is not putting you at risk, you are an A-hole.

Frankly, I don't care if your ex-military, current military, the president or the pope, if your an A-hole your an A-hole... No amount of credentials, degree's or medals will change that... And if you willfully hurt someone that is not putting you at risk, you are an A-hole.
    you just made my point thanks!

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Exactly! This guy needs to quit intimidating and hurting people or get off the trail!!!

Plain and simple, it's no place for that kind of behavior. Don't care who it is.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

..on my last stay in Damascus I met a hiker who was a SEAL in the Navy......but he couldn't recall his class or Team number...after I got him to admit it was a lie, I followed w/a short and quiet ass chewing.... he replied....
    "just my luck to run into a retired Navy guy way out here".....jerk....lol...

Quote Originally Posted by RiverWarriorPJ View Post
    ..on my last stay in Damascus I met a hiker who was a SEAL in the Navy......but he couldn't recall his class or Team number...after I got him to admit it was a lie, I followed w/a short and quiet ass chewing.... he replied....
    "just my luck to run into a retired Navy guy way out here".....jerk....lol...
    Job well done.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

So...are there assault charges pending and, if so, is there a warrant for "SPIKE"?
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

This is a journal from the night of the incident.

From TJ's Jennifer and Greg Olson's journal dated April 8, 2009 at Groundhog Shelter:

* * * Later, Spike and the Little Engine came in and Minnesota Smith. Spike caused some problems and killed the good time we were having. Never got too cold during the night so we slept pretty comfy.
    No report from MS?

Somebody needs to drop a dime (call the police) on this guy if they encounter him. He sounds like a mental case.
    If nobody does anything about him, there will be other victims down the road.

Maybe his mug in in someone's picture set on Trailjournals?

How funny that SPIKE and Minnasota Smith would show up at the shelter together. Not very often that you get two a**hole hikers in the same place at the same time.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++