WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Assault on AT near Hot Springs?

Was this guy caught?

From Mosey's TJ,
    April 12:We had dinner at the one open local restaurant where we enjoyed a steak meal and lots of trail talk with Vagrant and the Kiwi's. Mr. Kiwi had a trail altercation with another hiker and was nursing an injured shoulder. We had met the perpetrator before and decided he was someone to stay away from. We're told that the authorities are still investigating this unfortunate incident. In the meantime, the word has gotten out on the trail about our bad boy hiker. Hopefully we won't see him again. The Kiwi's are two of the nicest hikers we've met and it's a shame that visitors to our country have to experience a trail jerk. Fortunately, we've only met this one bad apple.
    April 14: We didn't start hiking until 10:00 after a last conversation with the Kiwi's who are staying in Hot Springs until Ron's shoulder is checked out again. Then they'll either get back on the trail or go somewhere else to get Ron's shoulder fixed. It's our understanding that the authorities are now looking for the individual who assaulted Ron last week.

From Vagrant's TJ,
    April 9:Ron's shoulder in real bad shape. We had to stop for a short day.
    April 18: "Ron and Merryll drove to Erwin to see me. That means they are off the AT. Ron's shoulder is bad enough he is willing to stop. It's a very hard choice for him. But potentially damaging it permanently is in the balance. Not worth the risk even for an adventure like this."

the alleged guy was here in town sunday and left monday

Any other info on this guy, or the incident? Is he the same person Trailangelmary was warning folks about?

Was a complaint not filed with the authorities by the Kiwis?

GA-ME-04
    Images

The first post clearly stated that "authorities are investigating"
    So I guess its safe to say a complaint was filed.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

It wasn't the same guy I was told about at Sassafras Shelter who is literally hiking with nothing and bumming equipment and food from people along the way....that was an odd story told to me at the campfire. (April 14th)
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

The statement that the authorities are "investigating" does not necessarily constitute an official sworn complaint against the alleged bad guy, and it is more odd that this individual was known to be in Damascus and no action was taken?
    So far, a lot of troubling heresay, but very unfortunate that a visitor(s) to the AT has had to come off the trail because of a run in with anyone on the trail. Can you imagine how the Kiwis must feel after all their hard planning just to begin their hike?

Images

More from Trail Journals on the subject matter.

It took me longer than I had expected to reach the Stan Murray shelter, and I arrived at the sign for Overmountain shelter (the barn) at 12:45. Unfortunately, I took the wrong sidepath, which cost me 22 minutes and a lot of effort to climb back uphill... No one else was at the shelter when I arrived, and I could not find a trail registry. I felt no draw to sleep in the barn, so I ate my lunch, packed up, and headed out. Before I left, I read the markered message on the shelter boards that were written by 'Spike', and wondered if this was the same guy that I had heard many stories about (and told to stay away from). He had hit another thru-hiker from New Zealand and knocked him to the ground at one of the shelters, and now this man had to have surgery on his shoulder and had to go home, unable to finish most of the hike. The message written on the boards talked about this person's military service and how we should all be thankful for those that have served, etc, and how he wanted to meet and shake the hands of other service members. I got a creepy feeling from this act of attention, and did not want to linger there any longer. I met Bound and Hellbender on their way in and told them I'd see them tomorrow. They still weren't sure where they were going to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by JEBjr View Post
    More from Trail Journals on the subject matter.

It took me longer than I had expected to reach the Stan Murray shelter, and I arrived at the sign for Overmountain shelter (the barn) at 12:45. Unfortunately, I took the wrong sidepath, which cost me 22 minutes and a lot of effort to climb back uphill... No one else was at the shelter when I arrived, and I could not find a trail registry. I felt no draw to sleep in the barn, so I ate my lunch, packed up, and headed out. Before I left, I read the markered message on the shelter boards that were written by 'Spike', and wondered if this was the same guy that I had heard many stories about (and told to stay away from). He had hit another thru-hiker from New Zealand and knocked him to the ground at one of the shelters, and now this man had to have surgery on his shoulder and had to go home, unable to finish most of the hike. The message written on the boards talked about this person's military service and how we should all be thankful for those that have served, etc, and how he wanted to meet and shake the hands of other service members. I got a creepy feeling from this act of attention, and did not want to linger there any longer. I met Bound and Hellbender on their way in and told them I'd see them tomorrow. They still weren't sure where they were going to stop.
    Whose journal is this from?
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Christus Cowboy
    Images

A little more info would be helpful if it is available such physical description, trail name, etc..... I met a guy around Wayah Bald shelter a couple of weeks ago that was very strange and appeared to be well known as someone to stay away from.... His name wasn't Spike though....
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

Wonder what set "Spike" off?
    We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking. Finis Mitchell

Saw his entry at Mtn Harbour.

Have been noticing alot of evidence of "squating" in shelters and campsites.

Images

Last weekend, north of Hot Springs, we ran into a guy who was walking on the Trail carrying a variety of suitcases and things. More than a little strange.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Last weekend, north of Hot Springs, we ran into a guy who was walking on the Trail carrying a variety of suitcases and things. More than a little strange.
    I think his name is Two Pack. We may have met him at Standing Bear. Was he an older guy?

Images

Probably older than you are; possibly not older than I am.

One of the bags he was carrying was a nylon suitcase with a shoulder strap. But he had several others. He looked like a disorganized traveler walking down the concourse.
    Last edited by Marta; 04-29-2009 at 20:34.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Probably older than you are; possibly not older than I am.
    Im just sayin, I think we met him and know who you are talking about.

Images

Whats with all the riddles? Spell it out if there is a problem hiker, it could save someone some aggravation.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    I think his name is Two Pack. We may have met him at Standing Bear. Was he an older guy?
    T-W-O P-A-C-K. Not saying he is a problem, just saying he doesnt seem to be a hiker.
    S-P-I-K-E. Seems to be a bit of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    S-P-I-K-E. Seems to be a bit of a problem.
    Agreed, he has ruined one couples hike...

Images

Anyone know what went down. How it all got started.
    I tried to quit drinking but Captain Morgan keeps kicking Mr. Will Powers ass.

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++