WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Shipping Fuel

Images

Default Shipping Fuel

In the course of trying to find out how I can re-supply with denatured alcohol while hiking the Border Route and KEK, I did some research on shipping fuel. Various opinions were given here on Whiteblaze about how alcohol could be shipped, and I was directed to the "Gottawalk" site (it would not load for me, so don't know what is said there) as having a definitive, clearly stated explaination. That was something I couldn't find on either the UPS or USPS web sites. They talk in circles and you have to know the ins and outs of haz-mat shipping in order to understand what they are talking about - no help at all without extensive further research just to understand their policies.

Gunflint Lodge (the one business on the route) only carries propane, but will accept packages for hikers.

I finally found the phone number for the UPS Hazardous Materials help desk (burried about five layers into their site). I called, and after a brief wait this is what I was told.

UPS (all shipper by federal law), can only accept 1 oz or smaller of flammable liquids to be shipped (ground or air) by private individuals. Period. If you want to ship more, you must set up a daily scheduled pick-up and obtaind a hazardous materials shipper permit. She said this would not be cost effective for a one-time shipment. Her suggestion that the only legal way to solve the problem was to have a dealer (REI I assume) ship the alcohol to the Gunflint Lodge.

I'm just putting this out for general information, since I found many conflicting opinions. Unfortunately, I did not ask about the legality of shipping cannisters, but would think it was similar. Unless 1 oz of fuel will do you, you are taking a risk by shipping fuel yourself.

I too use alcohol for my stove, but have discovered through research that denatured Alcohol isn't always the same mix or concentration. The I discovered Heet in the yellow bottle, it is 98 percent pure methanol, costs about 1 dollar per bottle, and you can find it at every gas station, grocery store, or walmart. My opinion, for what it is worth, is save yourself the hassle, at 1 or 2 dollars for 12 ounces, it is well worth stopping at a store while you are in town hitting up the post office. If you have never used Heet in your stove try it 1 time, I think it is the best fuel, but let me know what you think.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Had no trouble at all mailing fuel canisters via USPS surface. Got them several times.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixdadeadhead View Post
    I too use alcohol for my stove, but have discovered through research that denatured Alcohol isn't always the same mix or concentration. The I discovered Heet in the yellow bottle, it is 98 percent pure methanol, costs about 1 dollar per bottle, and you can find it at every gas station, grocery store, or walmart. My opinion, for what it is worth, is save yourself the hassle, at 1 or 2 dollars for 12 ounces, it is well worth stopping at a store while you are in town hitting up the post office. If you have never used Heet in your stove try it 1 time, I think it is the best fuel, but let me know what you think.
    I've used HEET also, but Gunflint Lodge does not sell it - I asked. No other business even remotely close.

Just wanted to give folks a heads-up on what the official policy of UPS is, and that they indicated it was the same for all carriers.

++ New Posts ++