WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Images

Gee willickers! I had not realized that shelters evoked such fevered debate amongst my fellow hikers.

I guess I just must have been lucky the past 5 years or so. I've been section hiking N from Springer since Labor Day 04. Most of the hikes were the week after Christmas. I'm up to Sam's Gap in NC and, with the exception of the Smokies shelters being crowded in 06 and a 3 Stooges-esque father/son snore team somewhere in the Nantahalas the year before, I've basically had the shelters to myself. The only mouse I've seen was one of the cute little ATC stuffed ones in someone's pack. I have seen a few trashed shelters but I've seen far more trashed campsites.

Guess I'm in for a rude awakening on my thru-hike next year, huh?

I do have earplugs and also intend to use my Lunar Duo with reckless abandon.

Quote Originally Posted by coheterojo View Post
    Gee willickers! I had not realized that shelters evoked such fevered debate amongst my fellow hikers.

I guess I just must have been lucky the past 5 years or so. I've been section hiking N from Springer since Labor Day 04. Most of the hikes were the week after Christmas. I'm up to Sam's Gap in NC and, with the exception of the Smokies shelters being crowded in 06 and a 3 Stooges-esque father/son snore team somewhere in the Nantahalas the year before, I've basically had the shelters to myself. The only mouse I've seen was one of the cute little ATC stuffed ones in someone's pack. I have seen a few trashed shelters but I've seen far more trashed campsites.

Guess I'm in for a rude awakening on my thru-hike next year, huh?

I do have earplugs and also intend to use my Lunar Duo with reckless abandon.
    If you are attempting a NOBO thru during prime season (March-April), the shelters and camping near the shelters at the southern end at leas will be jammed with people practicing many different versions of 'shelter etiquette' and none will match your idea of etiquette or schedule for sleeping, so plan a lot of reckless abandon.

I am so done with shelters.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Cool Ocd

I basically OCD. I don't know what's nastier: people or mice poop.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    I basically OCD. I don't know what's nastier: people or mice poop.
    people who sleep in mice poop. duh!

The only time I slept in AT shelters was in the Smokies and that was because there was not enough people to justify sleeping in my hammock outside the shelter.

Reasons:

I snore like 30% of the time.
    Someone else snores 100% of the time.
    I don't like mice running across my forehead.
    They usually smell.
    My hammock is more comfortable.

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    The only time I slept in AT shelters was in the Smokies and that was because there was not enough people to justify sleeping in my hammock outside the shelter.

Reasons:

I snore like 30% of the time.
    Someone else snores 100% of the time.
    I don't like mice running across my forehead.
    They usually smell.
    My hammock is more comfortable.
    You non snorers are so irritating ....

How do you sleep ... it's so quiet!

Nah .... Give me a good robust "sitting at the end of the runway" snore in a tiny wooden box with excellent acoustics, and those poor mice will spend a hungry night quivering in fear under the shelter.

He who snores snores alone .... wether by choice or force!

shelters suck..

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    I think that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    I think I saw a post by her on a women's forum here- a salad dressing bottle or something like that, right?
    It definitely was not a salad dressing bottle. It was some kind of rubber funnel that was resistant to germs etc. It was more high tech than a bottle. We called it her penis but it was store bought. This might have been it.

http://www.amazon.com/Whiz-Freedom-R.../dp/B0011BNA9K

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    shelters suck..
    yes, yes, indeed they do

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
    I go to all this work to get my equipment together, transport to the trail, enter the grat outdoors . . . and so WHY would I want to "camp" in a shelter? Never done it yet? Might in an emergency or days of rain. But sure don't plan on it. More power to ya if you do.
    If you put up your tent in a shelter, you should just go home! People that set up tents in shelters are the lamest of the lame and should be shunned!!!! Shelters are awful. They harbor squaters, rodents. Anyone that pees off of a platform is just plain disgusting, and disrespectful sterile or not. Thats gross! Atleast walk around the back end. If its raining, suck it up. My first time in a shelter, I had a guy next to me piss into a gatorade bottle and I almost flipped out. Its nasty!!! Shelters are only for social gatherings on trail and breed trouble when that many grumpy hikers in one space. Always drama at shelters, not worth it! Ask yourself why you spent $200-$300 on that tent or hammock!

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    shelters suck..
    Only to computer hikers. Somehow no matter what time of year, no matter what weather, I find real hikers in them. Go figure, most walking hikers are not afraid of scary mice or imaginary rednecks and (oh, can I type this) germs.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Only to computer hikers. Somehow no matter what time of year, no matter what weather, I find real hikers in them. Go figure, most walking hikers are not afraid of scary mice or imaginary rednecks and (oh, can I type this) germs.
    Only time you will ever see me near a shelter is reading the register. I get out pretty often too. What is a "real" hiker??? Are there fake hikers??? I know pack sniffers.... Im confused!

you really are clueless. it's actually kinda sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Only time you will ever see me near a shelter is reading the register. I get out pretty often too. What is a "real" hiker??? Are there fake hikers??? I know pack sniffers.... Im confused!
    i am devastated (DEVASTATED, i tell you!) that blue jay doesn't think i qualify as a "real" hiker.

i don't touch all the white blazes either. does that mean i'm not "really" hiking the at?

Seems like someone woke up on the wrong side of his thermarest

Images

Seriously? Are you really serious? I going to jump out on a great big limb right now and say you are just kidding!!! I can't think that someone who says that only computer hikers find shelters suck..and they do suck. You are a silly boy!!!
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    you get it

That's IT! the shelter folk like to pass out where they drink
    Or use other substances that may inhibit the desire to accomplish the goal to sleep in a better environment?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

When I first started backpacking, it never occurred to me to stay in a shelter. My buddy and I always tented it.

I think it is mainly AT ld hikers who stay in shelters.

Weekenders tend to tent it and people who have experience outside the AT corridor.

On a cold, rainy night when I have it to myself (or just a friend or two) they can be great. When 15+ of your closest hiking friends are with you? Not so much.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixdadeadhead View Post
    Funny!! No she complained about my snoring from day 1. There were plenty of reasons the relationship failed, ...and maybe the fact she had slept with her bosses brother for 250 dollars lol. What can I say I was blind
    But you sleep with all kinds of people in the shelters. For free.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
++ New Posts ++