WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12

Quote Originally Posted by nufsaid View Post
    But you sleep with all kinds of people in the shelters. For free.
    Dont think you'll have to worry about a response from that guy

Shelters suck, period
    Ok rainstorms, yea they provide dryness in rainshowers, and then you find that one spot in the shelter that has a hole, or someone has kicked a board loose. Next thing you know, chinese water torture! Yea shelters are friggin great.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    shelters suck..
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    yes, yes, indeed they do
    Quote Originally Posted by Roots View Post
    Seriously? Are you really serious? I going to jump out on a great big limb right now and say you are just kidding!!! I can't think that someone who says that only computer hikers find shelters suck..and they do suck. You are a silly boy!!!
    It's all been said. Might as well close the thread.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixdadeadhead View Post
    I have seen quite a few posts, where people bad mouth shelters. I don't get it, I like the shelters on the trail, although I also like setting up my own setup when hiking the smaller trails. The thing I like the most about the shelters is you get to meet tons of people. So tell me if you like or hate the shelters and why please.
    If my goal was to meet tons of people, I would go to Times Square, not the woods.
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    If my goal was to meet tons of people, I would go to Times Square, not the woods.
    There are hikers with a common interest in Times Square? Wow, who knew?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    There are hikers with a common interest in Times Square? Wow, who knew?
    Yeah, right? News to me....

Images

I have realized that, though I love shelters, I usually hike out of season and during th week (therefore, no boyscouts and less other hikers), so usually it isn't too crowded. But I have done a fair amount of hiking in PA in June, and I still enjoyed the shelters. Although, when I stayed in a shelter with TP, I couldn't find my earplugs and had a hard time sleeping. From now on, always TWO pairs.

I have no qualm about shelters in PA (except occasionally the people are a little intrusive), but I'll report back after my thru- who knows, that may either make me love or hate shelters!

Images

theyre dry, warm sometimes, and after a long day, a welcome sight. but any time the area feels cozy and protected, come 1am itll be swarming with shelter mice... thats probably the #1 reason people dislike shelters, mice, weirdo hikers, basically unwanted "room mates"
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Hikers do things at shelters that they don't do anywhere else in the woods.

As someone mentioned before I think the shelters bring a comfort and I believe it causes them to be as disgusting as most of the rest of the general population. It almost appears that people forget Leave No Trace because they are at a shelter.

Don't even get me started and the monstrosities such as Partnership shelter where you can go 200 yards and order a pizza, have it delivered to you. Take a shower, wash your clothes and dishes in the sink at the back. I'm surprised they didn't put in beds and fresh linens waiting on you when you got there each evening.

I stay at shelters as a last resort.

Images

I only stay in shelters if its really storming. I don't mind the mice or snoring, I would rather sleep under the stars or my tarp. Plus it gets pretty noisy in the morning with all those crinkling stuff sacks.

Quote Originally Posted by redeye View Post
    Don't even get me started and the monstrosities such as Partnership shelter where you can go 200 yards and order a pizza, have it delivered to you.
    That sounds stupid to me now, but I know when I get there I'm totally ordering a pizza.

Considering how many people say they hate shelters and never stay in one, it is amazing how full they always are - especially when its raining!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I don't mind shelters, but no matter how much padding I have underneath me, when I wake up in the morning I feel like I've been thrown off a cliff and bounced off the rocks on the way down. So I went to a hammock. I get a great night's sleep, I'm not half as sore in the morning, and I can snore to my heart's content without bothering anybody. Even if the shelter is full of members of the goon platoon, I'm still sleeping elsewhere.

Images

Seems like recently some hikers think the shelters are drop-off points for anything they no longer want to carry.... Like somebody is going to use the crap.It turns into trash which has to be burned or packed out by trail maintainers...

I like shelters when the weather conditions are bad and I do not feel like fighting the elements other than that I love my tent. Tenting near the shelter gives me a chance to be social and pick up on any trail news then I can retreat to my private suite. It is nice to have the privacy of a tent and not worry that you are a bother to other hikers. I can snore, use the privy, use my pee bottle, get up early and not get folks bent out of shape. Ain't life good on the trail .....swamp dawg

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12
++ New Posts ++