WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Shelters in the South are very full of rodents, always lots of mice, woods rats, and or worse................and way too many people trying to share them.

In the North, it is the same problem ongoing, it's just that Hauntivirus has actually been found here a few years ago, a thru-hiker almost died here on this section of PA years ago.

All AT Hiking clubs should have learned by now, how to set rodent bait stations at every shelter on the AT, or be required by law, to pay expert exterminators to do weekly visits to all shelters, to rebait traps and refill all bait stations, or else just shut them all down due to the unsanitary conditions.
    Just like any Best Western, Mcdonalds, or Super 8 Motel,..........Long distance hiking, and The AT, is a huge business, and we all deserve the protection.
    End Of Problem

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Mechanical Man View Post
    Shelters are very full of rodents, always lots of mice, and or worse................and way too many people trying to share them.
    what he said - I have a hard enough time sleeping w/o the jerks talking or making noise past hiker's midnight
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by sloopjonboswell View Post
    except i'm pretty sure lw will still say shelters suck.
    yup because i could give 2 poos about the gossip log and i cook breakfast outside my tent or in the vestibule, etc

Images

Maryland shelters are fairly nice spots to stop for lunch or sleep. And most of them seem to be anywhere from a quarter mile to half a mile off the beated path. Alot of times though I like sleeping in the hammock only under adverse weather conditions do I stay in the shelter at night
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixdadeadhead View Post
    I have seen quite a few posts, where people bad mouth shelters. I don't get it, I like the shelters on the trail, although I also like setting up my own setup when hiking the smaller trails. The thing I like the most about the shelters is you get to meet tons of people. So tell me if you like or hate the shelters and why please.

The PEOPLE factor is why I prefer shelters...but, will tent if need be (I always take my tent!)...i'm not a fan of the mice...but, have accepted them as a shelter fact of life.

See ya'll out there MAY 2-14 w/ "Jigsaw" & "Model-T"...Harpers Ferry,WV to Swatara Gap,PA
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Wandering Vagabond
    Images

I like going to shelters and signing LW's name in the gossip log, lol.

But seriously, I've never seen the why folks want to get away from it all by hitting the trail and turn right around and sleep in a shelter with mice, snoring, etc. I don't mind stopping by a shelter and taking a photo and saying hi to whoever is there, but I wouldn't want to sleep in one. I mean, it's just a wood box.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mechanical Man View Post
    ...be required by law, to pay expert exterminators to do weekly visits to all shelters, to rebait traps and refill all bait stations, or else just shut them all down due to the unsanitary conditions.
    Just like any Best Western, Mcdonalds, or Super 8 Motel,..........Long distance hiking, and The AT, is a huge business, and we all deserve the protection.
    I sure I'm going to be corrected on this, but I understand that our trails wouldn't be trails without the voluteers that keep them up and the trail clubs live off donations. That tells me there's not a hole lot of money out there for them. If we start legislating requirements that can't be met, we will lose the trails.

I think of sleeping in a shelter as exercising my immune system.

Never stayed in a shelter and hope I never have to, I view them as "emergency" structures and as such I avoid them. I'm perfectly fine hanging in my hammock, listening to the birds and the wind.

2010 complete

absolutely 100% MICE I like nature, but I do NOT want nature scurrying around or over me, specifically rodents.

Well I read alot of post about the mice at the shelters. I kinda liked the mice. Little pitter patter of little feet running was kinda cool imo. Helped me fall asleep. I stayed in shelters almost all of the time. If it was too crowded (more than 4 or so), I pitched my tent unless it was raining. There were alot of jerks but there were just as many nice people. Kinda like in the real world imo.

I don't know about liked the mice lol, but they never bothered me. My nephew on the other hand I sure you all read about the mice robbing him. Another night we both woke up to the Squeak Squeak, sounded like this mouse was getting the crap beat out of him or something. As it turned out, he had gotten to close to my nephew and he rolled over on the little guy lol. I bet that mouse has stayed far away from sleeping hikers ever since.

Images

Well the ground is dirty and it makes my stuff dirtier. They also make my gear smell. The ground is hard and uncomfortable.

Mice
    Snorers
    A**hole hikers that go to be before dark and wake up and complain.
    Weirdo factor
    Wilderness experience
    too many people bunched up
    Light in your face in the middle of the night when someone has to pee or poop
    The overall sanitation of shelters is awful

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Hmmmm, and not one post about the muddy wet dogs getting all over your gear.

I like shelters because they're a good place for everyone to pile up while we find a nice place to camp elsewhere.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

I don't like shelters because they kill my back. I use a hammock and try to sleep near shelters but never in them. Shelters normally have reliable water sources nearby, bear cables, etc. Plus, since I typically hike SOBO, I can get good intel from the shelter dwellers who have just hiked NOBO.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

the best part i like about getting to a shelter is using a picnic table for cooking, not to say i can't get along without the pinic table. it's just nice to have a seat after 8- 10 hours of walking and eat a hot meal.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixdadeadhead View Post
    I have seen quite a few posts, where people bad mouth shelters. I don't get it, I like the shelters on the trail, although I also like setting up my own setup when hiking the smaller trails. The thing I like the most about the shelters is you get to meet tons of people. So tell me if you like or hate the shelters and why please.
    ========================

I don't particularly like them, for all the reasons stated so far in previous posts. That said ...during my thru in 2003 we went 2 months straight with 3 weeks of non-stop rain - - morning, noon and night. As much as I dislike shelters I have to admit it was nice to get in out of the rain now and then and spend a dry night.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

My opinion of lean-tos is in direct relationship to who is in them. Good company always makes the experience better. It's also good to factor in what 'Slogger mentions above - that at times 'shelter' is just what you need.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

As Garlic said, I only use shelters IF the weather is bad AND it is not crowded.

When I hiked the Whites this past October, my buddy Tim and I had the whole shelter to ourselves on a cold, rainy day. Easier than pitchng a tent.

OTOH, when I did the AT even on a crappy day, I'd pitch a tent outside in bad weather if the place was crowded.

My compromise was as others have stated: Socialize at the lean-tos, but camp a little away from them. Privacy at night and socialization at dinner.

Best of both worlds.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++