WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rusty Hard Time Hollow?

Is Rusty still out there?

Earplug94
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And then sits in peace with or without our presence. me.

He is listed in the book although last year he was only taking in "friends"

Quote Originally Posted by earplug94 View Post

Earplug94
    his place is not at all reliable. continue on to waynesboro

Default Rusty is still there

I stayed @ Rusty's this year for 4 days. It was an awesome place. And don't believe what the Companion might say (or any other book) that he requires a $20 donation up front. There are two donation boxes (one in the kitchen and one in the bunkhouse). Nothing is required up front and there is no minimum. The donation system is run just like any other donation system at a hostel. If you want a good description of Rusty's from one of the books, get it from the Handbook by "501."
    "I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." ~John Burroughs

"...follow the day and reach for the sun!" ~ Polyphonic Spree

Quote Originally Posted by ncerniglia View Post
    I stayed @ Rusty's this year for 4 days. It was an awesome place. And don't believe what the Companion might say (or any other book) that he requires a $20 donation up front. There are two donation boxes (one in the kitchen and one in the bunkhouse). Nothing is required up front and there is no minimum. The donation system is run just like any other donation system at a hostel. If you want a good description of Rusty's from one of the books, get it from the Handbook by "501."
    Why would the Companion (or any other book) lie? He has been playing that con for a long time. BTW, How much did you donate for - did you say 4 days- were you hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    Why would the Companion (or any other book) lie? He has been playing that con for a long time. BTW, How much did you donate for - did you say 4 days- were you hurt?
    why would someone get hurt at rusty's?

Images

Lots of people stay at Rustys for 2,3, 4 or more days without being hurt. When I was there, there were several younguns who had been there a week. Pirate (yes, the same Pirate from Neel Gap) had been there even longer. It's a place to rest, relax and just get away from the trail for a while. I don't think he expects those who stay more than one night to give $20 a night, but he does expect $20 a person, especially if he's buying hot dogs, sodas, and ice cream for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    why would someone get hurt at rusty's?
    Why ask why?

Why ask why?
    you better start makin sense boy, or i'll sic warrgy on your ass

you better start makin sense boy, or i'll sic warrgy on your ass
    No such thing as a warrgy- pure rumor, no?

I don't know why they'd lie. All I know is that their descriptions of his "required $20 donation" were false when I was there. I'm sorry that you think Rusty is trying to con people. I consider him to be one of the greatest people I've ever known. I was not hurt. I was simply enjoying spending time relaxing at Rusty's and hanging out with him and Pirate. I donated as much as I could afford. Personally, I don't think I donated enough, but I couldn't afford to give more on my budget. I will be visiting Rusty's again soon.
    "I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." ~John Burroughs

"...follow the day and reach for the sun!" ~ Polyphonic Spree

Journal Entries

Rusty's was a great place in 1993. Nothing I've heard since has changed that perception. I donated 20 bucks for my three night stay in 1993 -- and then added a bit more because I sensed that some were not as generous.

Hikers I had seen spending $70 on a night at a motel and partying, seemed to think that a couple of bucks would be okay at a donation only hostel. I wasn't exactly wealthy then -- and less so now, what with inflation and a mostly fixed 1991 income.

Rusty loves hikers. He from time to time closes his hostel, I suspect because it doesn't break even -- and I sense that he may be even poorer than me. As I remember in '93 he said he worked winters for the park service doing manual work. Like me, Rusty owns a moderately valuable propery. But that is not something one can spend. Mine will eventually go to my kids -- now adults. I don't have clue about what Rusty plans to do.

But he seems to keep tolerating the free loaders and appreciates those that contribute enough to keep the place alive.

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Rusty loves hikers.

thats what i hear a lot too.

Images

You know, I ignored your first sarcastic post about Rusty, but enough is enough. If you know something specific, say it; if not, stop flaming the guy. I heard some people say some malicious things about him, but every time I've been there, he's been great, and everything fine. No one is forced to stay there. So if you don't like him, stay away. But stop hinting that he is some kind of pervert, because he isn't!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by earplug94 View Post

Earplug94
    I picked up Rusty's card the other week at the local (Roanoke) backpacker store which reads:

"RUSTY'S HARD TIME HOLLOW"
    "Over 12,000 hikers since 1982!
    The Hollow welcomes all the hikers who aren't in a hurry, and enjoy takin' time to visit and hang out at the last of the first hostels, along the trail. Welcome: Section hikers, weekenders, hitch-hiken thru hikers. Stay is limited to one week. No shuttles available, except on weekends maybe. A great place to kick back and forget about hiking. No B.S.A. Rides back to the trailhead when you're ready. Donations Appreciated.
    16.7 BRP Heb 13.2
    All hikers welcome.....Everyone is a Purist
    "No illegal Drugs"

I met Rusty many years ago as he was in the process of acting as a trail angel. I have been to the hollow and enjoyed his fellowship.

Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee. Gen 13:17

Images

"It don't matter."

--- Rusty (the other one, not The Weasel)

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

thats what i hear a lot too.
    yeah right i know different but i ain't goin' there. caveat emptor

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    yeah right i know different but i ain't goin' there. caveat emptor
    you mean to say he doesn't like hikers?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    You know, I ignored your first sarcastic post about Rusty, but enough is enough. If you know something specific, say it; if not, stop flaming the guy. I heard some people say some malicious things about him, but every time I've been there, he's been great, and everything fine. No one is forced to stay there. So if you don't like him, stay away. But stop hinting that he is some kind of pervert, because he isn't!
    How many times have you been there? Maybe you should read some of my PMs. Maybe you have not been involved in the community for 20+ years. I know you haven't been there when I was (at least a dozen times) or spoke with the people I have (too many). Maybe you only know what you know- which can't be everything. Older hikers here speak out for A REASON. Just because you personally don't have one (you wouldn't) doesn't make everyone else wrong. I'm sure he was nice to you and most of the hikers who have been there- doesn't mean he can't have issues. I'll never go back and recommend the same as LW.

IMO, i vote keep on truckin' to waynesboro.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++