WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    i love my msr superfly stove... it's a pocket rocket with the flame spread out, which helps cook pancakes and omelets more evenly

tents are cool... but in my quest for what's best, i'm going swining in a hammock for the first time very soon...

i kept my whisperlite stove around to use my backpacker oven. works great!!! my specialty is pizza real crust! not that tortilla crap!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscart...s/efin571l.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mechanical Man View Post
    Makes a great place for my dog to hang out while it's raining.

Yea that must be in jest! the last guy that cracked the joke was tarred & feathered!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    i kept my whisperlite stove around to use my backpacker oven. works great!!! my specialty is pizza real crust! not that tortilla crap!!!
    whisperlites are being sold while they last at campmor. it appears they are being replaced by a stove costing twice as much. progress, huh?

I bought three recently for our scout troop - just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Dissing shelters is very cool among the hard core crowd. WGAF. It's like alcohol stoves vs any other cooking system. If you're not using a home made alcohol stove you just aren't among the in crowd. Again, WGAF. I like shelters. I like knowing I have a place to sleep if I don't feel like setting up my tent. I like having a bench or table to sit at. I like having the other hikers to talk to. And I love my Pocket Rocket and refuse to waste my time with some kind of home made cat food alcolhol stove because the cool crowd says it's right.
    aren't you scared the mice will carry you off?

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

The last walk I took was in early April and I did not meet another person, the shelters were nice in the rain or arriving late and previous hiker left fire wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Dissing shelters is very cool among the hard core crowd. WGAF. It's like alcohol stoves vs any other cooking system. If you're not using a home made alcohol stove you just aren't among the in crowd. Again, WGAF. I like shelters. I like knowing I have a place to sleep if I don't feel like setting up my tent. I like having a bench or table to sit at. I like having the other hikers to talk to. And I love my Pocket Rocket and refuse to waste my time with some kind of home made cat food alcolhol stove because the cool crowd says it's right.
    Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    aren't you scared the mice will carry you off?
    you two are cracking me up, this is hilarious

I must be a member of the "cool" crowd cause I don't stay at shelters and I use a homemade alcohol stove and darn PROUD of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JERMM View Post

I must be a member of the "cool" crowd cause I don't stay at shelters and I use a homemade alcohol stove and darn PROUD of it.
    I'll bet you blue blaze too!
    A few here think eggzactaly the way you do.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Wet hiker. . . . . . ha!
    Do you know anything about "wet hiker?"

Quote Originally Posted by JERMM View Post

Holy mouse crap, I don't stay at shelters and I cook and drink alcohol. Perhaps I am also cool for the first time since my sons were born. They will be soooo proud.

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Holy mouse crap, I don't stay at shelters and I cook and drink alcohol. Perhaps I am also cool for the first time since my sons were born. They will be soooo proud.
    damn right your cool or you wouldn't be on my friends/contacts list

Quote Originally Posted by Nearly Normal View Post
    I'll bet you blue blaze too!
    A few here think eggzactaly the way you do.

blue blazed just yesterday, will do it again on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    ooooooooooh...I like that phrase Batman, I mean Superman, welcome to the cool side of hiking... with your alcohol stove and non-shelter dwelling practices...

I've probably stayed in shelters more often than not. The biggest advantage is getting out of the rain and ice storms - I've spent many a night in a shelter with pounding thunderstorms or ice storms raging overhead. Twice on my '07 Long Trail hike, I arrived at a shelter minutes before the deluge - great feeling.

Most of my AT miles were hiked off season where I often had shelters to myself or at least very few other occupants. And hiking off-season, I've found that mice are rarely a problem in fall or winter.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++