WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: NOBO vs. SOBO

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hurray for Marta!!

I'm looking forward to at least attempting a SOBO in 2011 if it works out with my job, family etc (still not sure yet, but hoping it will). It should be a good but tough experience, as the toughest part of the trail awaits you right off the bat (the black flies of Maine, he he, oh yes, and the trail itself)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    I could try SOBO. Think it would be cool
    Yup. . . you got a SOBO spirit. . . enjoy

I like the idea of ending at the Big K, but I also like the idea of going SOBO because going on an adventure in the direction outbound from home seems most natural to me, especially when its the first time.

I think the solution for me is to first do a hike from my home to Mount Carleton by some route other than the IAT, then the IAT to the Big K, then if I ever get a chance to do the AT, SOBO to Springer. Probably not thru. I'm currently a weekend and week hiker, but might get a chance for a big section to Mt.Carleton this summer. Perhaps a combination paddle/hike or bike/hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I like the idea of ending at the Big K,
    Agreed JAK, Katahdin was an awesome way to end a thru hike.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    No doubt. One of the common discussions I had with SOBO's was the fact that you have an anticlimactic ending going SOBO. But I would loveto have the solitude

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Very true. Excellent place but wild.

Now I would like the simple, home, woodsie feeling and accomplishment to end at Springer.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I've never climbed the Big K, though I dropped someone off at Katahdin Stream once. That was enough to give me the hunger. I am torn between doing it myself this Spring/Summer as a day trip, or doing it at the end of a good long hike, perhaps from the IAT direction. Also haven't climber Mt.Washington yet. Almost did it by car last Fall but I'm really glad it was closed that day, as I really thing the first time should be on foot. Might do a hut this year also. My wife and I climbed Mt.Carelton years ago as a day trip, but of course it is only half the height of Katahdin, and even less that in terms of distance and elevation gain, because I'm pretty sure the Mt.Carelton hike starts at a higher elevation. Still lots of great hiking up there and around here. The Big K can wait until the end of a decent hike, or maybe not. Daughter is getting older. That will dictate the urgency of things for me more than anything else in the next 10 years. So we will just do as much as we can this year, and not worry so much about my own personal druthers.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

If most people had to climb Katahdin to start their hike then alot more would quit after the first day. We joked about it last summer in the Wilderness quite a bit while it rained every day.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

No doubt. One of the common discussions I had with SOBO's was the fact that you have an anticlimactic ending going SOBO. But I would loveto have the solitude
    Another plus for finishing at Springer is that it's easy for friend's and family to meet you and wait for you at the finish.

You can even sit on the grass there without getting a fine!

No rangers!
    No rules.
    Shelter within a mile.
    Parking lot within a mile.

It's all good. Just different.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

That is one day that I will never forget

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Another plus for finishing at Springer is that it's easy for friend's and family to meet you and wait for you at the finish.

You can even sit on the grass there without getting a fine!

No rangers!
    No rules.
    Shelter within a mile.
    Parking lot within a mile.

It's all good. Just different.
    No doubt, my family was big in my thoughts. Would have been cool to have them there!!!

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I didn't think finishing at Springer was anticlimactic at all. It was the stopping point to where I hiked across the country. It is what you want it to be. I loved it just as much as I would have loved finishing at Katadin.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
    If most people had to climb Katahdin to start their hike then alot more would quit after the first day. We joked about it last summer in the Wilderness quite a bit while it rained every day.
    I wonder how many northbounders that drop out early would drop out after the first day in Maine. I had to laugh when northbounders were telling me how hard GA was. It was hard because you were starting. Maine was hard because it was hard, made better by we were just starting. I like to think it of thinning the herd right off the bat.

Default Be the Trail!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanhkr23 View Post
    I cant wait to leave SOBO this fRIDAY
    Best wishes for a safe hike and remember, it's about the journey, not the destination.

SOBO July 7th YAY!!! I"M GOING!! I"M GOING !!! YAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Analogman View Post
    Best wishes for a safe hike and remember, it's about the journey, not the destination.
    True words!

Blackflies are overrated. Can't be any worse than yellow jackets or fire ants. So sayeth the redneck. Go SOBO.

Images

Katahdin is an amazing place to start a long hike. If you start in the normal SOBO starting time, you're seeing it at the height of summer, with alpine plants blooming all around.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Katahdin is an amazing place to start a long hike. If you start in the normal SOBO starting time, you're seeing it at the height of summer, with alpine plants blooming all around.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I wonder how many northbounders that drop out early would drop out after the first day in Maine. I had to laugh when northbounders were telling me how hard GA was. It was hard because you were starting. Maine was hard because it was hard, made better by we were just starting. I like to think it of thinning the herd right off the bat.
    I can see dropping out in a relatively plain, uninspiring stretch of trail that is really very forgettable.

But dropping out when Maine is all around you?

If you do that, then you might as well take up sailing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++