WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sorry Mag I didn't start this to be a debate. I started this so I could see why some people like hiking for distance and some like hiking for the view. I know I just simplified the heck out of this, and I don't want simple answers I want to feel what each and every other person feels when they hike, why they feel it and how they feel it. I started this so we can each share our experiences, and others like myself can appreciate them and maybe learn from your experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Just say HIKE MY HIKE - DAMN IT and get it over with.

I am outta here off to do some hiking rather than sprout off about how other people should be doing it.

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

I agree, I'm not all about light and fast. On the AT, I was sorta sad to just be hiking past a lot of cool things that I'd have rather stayed around a while to enjoy. You know, cool overlooks and stuff; I like birdwatching too, would have been cool to pause more for that. Part of it is my own fault, and I could have slowed down, but hiking with a group you like, well, you want to keep up. I worry I'll have the same problem on the PCT next year, and bemoan that I am passing stuff by.

So, I'm all about light, but fast, well, that depends. But going light is great, it means I work less hard, a big plus since I have a heart condition, mild but noticible, especially on climbs. Glad to get as much weight off my back as I can!

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Tipi, here is the flip side to your arguement:

I think 18 to 25 miles is a near perfect number for daily miles walked, whether wearing a light or heavy pack. I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but we live in a culture that seems to worship BEING LAZY. With a click of the mouse or a switched channel on the remote, we can JUST SIT ON OUR BUTTS and in turn develop A RECORD NATIONAL OBESITY LEVEL which in part seems to explain this current obsession with SLEEPING LATE, SITTING AROUND CAMP AND HIKING FOR ONLY 3 HOURS A DAY TO COVER 7 MILES and the light packs needed to do them. I heard of one person who did the 300 mile BMT in 42 days, and all I could think of was "WHAT A LAZY PERSON".
    Ok, well, sitting around camp on the trail is not the same as sitting around on the couch watching TV at home. ever hear of communing with nature? Not everyone wants to be walking constantly while they do that (for me, I prefer a good mix of both).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixdadeadhead View Post
    I want to feel what each and every other person feels when they hike, why they feel it and how they feel it.

It's easy. If you hike fewer miles than I do, you are a yellow-blazing pack sniffer who will never finish the trail. If you hike more miles than I do, you are a gram-weenie ultralight speed hiker who misses the entire point of being outdoors and might as well be running on a treadmill.

Is that clear?
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    For one thing, it is a very traditional way of travelling, especially over distances you might be able to cover in a weekend or a week. Typical travel in the woods, for perhaps thousands of years, would have been from one settlement to another, carrying just enough food for the trip, and up to a week is a good practical distance when carrying food. By going light, you can travel farther in that amount of time. The other advantage of travelling faster, and particularly under a week, is to take full advantage of breaks in the weather, and mitigate against the risk of weather turning foul. This was especially important in winter, and still is, because in the mid-latitudes where we live, synoptic weather systems are typically 2-10 days in duration, and more predictable over periods of 2-5 days. Going light can also enable a quantum shift in the mode of travel. In winter going light might enable cross country skis. In summer, it might enable trail running. In no way does this take away from the enjoyment of the outdoor experience. It is just a different way of doing it, no better and no worse. The best I think is a mix, both fast and slow, both summer and winter. The places you hike can vary also. Paddling and cycling perfectly valid options also. In many ways paddling in North America is more traditional than walking, though development has perhaps impacted water travel more than it has ridge travel.
    This is wise.

Basically the point of going light is this: it is more intelligent to carry as little weight as possible, as it means increased efficiency/decreased use of energy. Evolutionarily speaking, this is preferable; creatures that waste energy are supplanted by those that are more economical.

Of course, what constitutes "as little weight as possible" is subjective. I'm currently working on trimming weight, but am no where near having a 7 lb pack. That comes down to skill level, as well as one's willingness to go without some things (camera, maybe, or a stove, or extra clothes).

Balancing that is the issue of enjoyability. It is easier to walk with less weight, but in camp, maybe you don't have a sleeping pad now, or you only have a 3/4 quilt instead of a sleeping bag. Since hiking now is generally not a question of evolutionary survival, this needs consideration.

Also consider this: native cultures traveled light (except when moving the whole village), but early white explorers went with pack horses and all kinds of gear. Part of it is the fact that ours is a heavily material culture (we're in love with our "stuff"), and also that they did not know the land, plants and animals like the Natives did, and did not have their skill with making the necessary tools from scratch.

I like what a hiking partner of mine said last year on the trail. She had certain heavier items for comfort than was generally suggested. She justified it by calling herself a "thru-camper."

Quote Originally Posted by TrippinBTM View Post
    I agree, I'm not all about light and fast. On the AT, I was sorta sad to just be hiking past a lot of cool things that I'd have rather stayed around a while to enjoy. You know, cool overlooks and stuff; I like birdwatching too, would have been cool to pause more for that. Part of it is my own fault, and I could have slowed down, but hiking with a group you like, well, you want to keep up. I worry I'll have the same problem on the PCT next year, and bemoan that I am passing stuff by.

So, I'm all about light, but fast, well, that depends. But going light is great, it means I work less hard, a big plus since I have a heart condition, mild but noticible, especially on climbs. Glad to get as much weight off my back as I can!
    Off subject but talk about bird watching, last year in the smokys during one of my million sit and look breaks we had a bird fly to us over and over again. At first the bird actually scared me because i thought the dang thing was going to fly right into my head. Sorry just wanted to share that since you reminded me of it lol.

You were probably close to a nest, I'd guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TrippinBTM View Post
    You were probably close to a nest, I'd guess.
    I wondered, we were right on the trail, and the bird lost interest after a few minutes. Either way it was pretty cool lol. The day b4 we got caught in a swarm of butterflies, which with the sun close to twilight really made it something like you would see in a movie. I better shut up I sound really gay lol

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    It's easy. If you hike fewer miles than I do, you are a yellow-blazing pack sniffer who will never finish the trail. If you hike more miles than I do, you are a gram-weenie ultralight speed hiker who misses the entire point of being outdoors and might as well be running on a treadmill.

Is that clear?
    Great! Is this a corollary to the "If you drive faster than me you're a maniac, if you drive slower than me you're an idiot" rule?
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Default maybe

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Great! Is this a corollary to the "If you drive faster than me you're a maniac, if you drive slower than me you're an idiot" rule?
    or maybe, if i hike faster then you or slower then you, it means i don't want to hike WITH you
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Exactly. It's the clearest expression of Mags' HMHDI philosophy.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I have heard many people who have this exact philosophy when hiking, but why?
    Some people gain immense joy in moving quickly with minimal restrictions (weight) over longer distances. Others just want bragging rights.

Some people like to camp in one place. Some people like to day hike.
    Others like to bird watch, bug watch, babe watch, bike, cave, ski, snowshoe, climb, canoe, kayak, sail, motorbike, go-cart, hunt, fish, etc., etc. ad infinitum.

The means that individuals use to recreate in the out of doors (and indoors for that matter) are as limitless as their imaginations.

Some people just have limited imaginations, thus they think their way is the only "rational way."

Am I a minority in my belief that a good hike involves what I saw and did, not how far I went or how fast I did it?
    No. Many others possess belief systems based on similar rationalizations.

I wish whoever moved this topic to the ultrlight forum would move this back to general since it has nothing to do with Ultralight

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    "Why do people have to debate how other people enjoy themselves?" Because we're on a forum where discussions of all aspects of backpacking occur.
    No. Because you are sanctimonious and have nothing better to do.

Walter just say it out loud and proud. It is what you really mean: HIKE MY HIKE - DAMN IT

Enough for me.
    Last edited by Mags; 05-05-2009 at 23:58.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I wish I could Hike everyones hike at the exact same time, then I wouldn't have needed to start this thread, because I would already know what you like about the way you hike. Instead, while 80% of the people are telling me how they hike and what they like about it, I get 20% who just want to say their way is better. Oh wait I forgot about the HMHDI poeple, who honestly none of us know what theya re trying to say, it is like the guy who walks into the middle of a conversation about taxes and says "Because Abortion is Wrong Dammit".
    Please guys HMHDI does not apply in any way to this post. This post is for people who want to discuss how they hike and why to share their experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

So, why are some folks so obsessed with miles?
    Probably not for the same reasons that some folks are obsessed with how other people hike.

I imagine it's how they like to hike. Nothing wrong with hiking fast or hiking slow, as long as it gives you personal satisfaction.

As to myself, I like to hike as light as possible, so I feel good on the trail and in camp. I typically like to cover about 10-18 miles a day, just depending on how I feel that day, what the terrain is like, or what the purpose of my trip is, and how long I have to accomplish it. Probably the ideal for me is about 12-14 miles a day.

I don't like to carry much more than I truly need, because that becomes just extra 'stuff' to take care of. Shelter, plenty of insulation for the weather conditions, rain gear, an esbit or alcohol stove, food & water, first aid and sundry items like headlamp, matches/lighter/firestarter, navigation materials, etc. and a few stuff sacks to organize my pack, is really about all I need. Well, maybe some Crocs for water crossings and camp shoes, depending on the trip.

Leaving 'stuff' behind lets me concentrate on the sights and sounds around me with fewer distractions.

Images

I tried to stay under 35 lbs and hike about 12 miles per day. I enjoy the few extras I take book, ipod, camera, and my solar charger charges while I walking and charges everything cell, ipod and camera. I think I could cut out some water carrying but after going 25 miles once with two springs dry, I leery about not carrying extra
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

I have heard many people who have this exact philosophy when hiking, but why? I understand going light to a point, I am sure most of us would do just fine with a bedroll, a lighter a, 1 liter bottle of water and some ramen. Tie the roll to your back with the food inside and there you go less than 5 pounds of gear, but we don't do this.
    Now myself I take a lot of unneeded junk, like a camera, but I take these things to make my hike more enjoyable for me. I also only hike 7 to 11 miles a day, and I stop at every spot that looks cool.
    Am I a minority in my belief that a good hike involves what I saw and did, not how far I went or how fast I did it?
    Phoenixdadeadhead,

I travel by what most people consider as extremely ultra light - less than 5 pounds. What I've been telling people for years is it does not matter how fast or light you travel it is all about what your happy with. If you like carrying 27 pounds and hiking 7 - 11 miles a day, then that is the right weight that you should be carrying.

It is all personal style. What I get annoyed at is people who try tell others they are carrying to much or complain they are carrying to much but do nothing to improve it. That is the stuff that upsets me.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    Phoenixdadeadhead,

I travel by what most people consider as extremely ultra light - less than 5 pounds. What I've been telling people for years is it does not matter how fast or light you travel it is all about what your happy with. If you like carrying 27 pounds and hiking 7 - 11 miles a day, then that is the right weight that you should be carrying.

It is all personal style. What I get annoyed at is people who try tell others they are carrying to much or complain they are carrying to much but do nothing to improve it. That is the stuff that upsets me.

Wolf
    Wow less than 5 pounds. Do you do multi day hikes? If so how many days with such a light pack? What does your gear consist of?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++