WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Whats funny is my pack enpty weighs more than 5 pounds lol (5.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixdadeadhead View Post
    Whats funny is my pack enpty weighs more than 5 pounds lol (5.5)
    Yeah my empty pack likely weight's somewhere around there... I then stuff the things I need in it and hit the trail... No need to obsess about weight... It's backpacking, it's supposed to be challenging...

Yeah I feel like that as well. I first get everything I want to take, and then I weigh things and remove the heavy items I don't really need. For instance, I have a set of multi tools 1 small and 1 large, I weighed the large one and it weighed 8 ounces, so out it came lol.

Images

I wish I could Hike everyones hike at the exact same time, then I wouldn't have needed to start this thread, because I would already know what you like about the way you hike.
    Here's the thing, Phoenix Dude: all of us like the way we hike. When I get to the end of the day, I feel like I have stopped at all the overlooks, smelled all the flowers, taken in all the views, made all the pictures, talked with all the other hikers, eaten good food, and enjoyed with great immensity the entire day.

So what does it matter how many miles I've hiked? Who cares? You? Tipi Walter? Why on Earth do you care? I. Enjoyed. My. Day.

By the way, the HMHDI thing is a Joke. A funny. Satire. Humor.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

I wondered, we were right on the trail, and the bird lost interest after a few minutes. Either way it was pretty cool lol. The day b4 we got caught in a swarm of butterflies, which with the sun close to twilight really made it something like you would see in a movie. I better shut up I sound really gay lol
    Ain't it stupid that enjoying that stuff is made fun of? That was one of the cool things about Virginia for me, there were butterflies everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Here's the thing, Phoenix Dude: all of us like the way we hike. When I get to the end of the day, I feel like I have stopped at all the overlooks, smelled all the flowers, taken in all the views, made all the pictures, talked with all the other hikers, eaten good food, and enjoyed with great immensity the entire day.

So what does it matter how many miles I've hiked? Who cares? You? Tipi Walter? Why on Earth do you care? I. Enjoyed. My. Day.

By the way, the HMHDI thing is a Joke. A funny. Satire. Humor.
    It doesn't matter and if you had read what I said you would understand that. If you don't want to answer the question then don't, hey if you don't want to play with other what do I care, but if you want to share some of your experiences, tell us how you hike, and what you like about the way you hike then awesome. Like I said you may and probably do hike differently than I do, this does not mean that I think my way is better or your way is better, but you may tell me things about the way you hike that appeal to me. You might hop on one fot for 1 mile and on the other for another, and guess what if you give me enough pros to defeat the cons I will try it. This has worked for me in all aspects of life, and although it may not be what works for others I like it. SO please either share your experiences or................

Sometimes I like hiking fast, and sometimes I like hiking slow. It's all good.
    That way I can say that everyone else is hiking wrong at least some of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Sometimes I like hiking fast, and sometimes I like hiking slow. It's all good.
    That way I can say that everyone else is hiking wrong at least some of the time.
    Lmao too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not everybody goes lighter to go faster, I do it (or try to ) to carry less weight.....
    and yes, I like to stop and smell the roses
    Franco

Left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot.......

Images

I did answer it, on the first page of this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    After a couple of days to re-acclimate, I like to do 14-16 miles per day, and yes I do stop at every spot that looks cool. And I'm not running down the trail. And my pack is the same weight as yours. I just like to walk, starting early in the morning and ending late in the evening, with plenty of breaks during the day.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Some of like to walk all day. Some like to camp more.

But, if you listen to people like Tipi Walter, those of us who enjoy hiking as opposed to camping are misguided souls (soles?).

Anyway, we all know there is only one, true, correct and absolute way to hike..

I see Mags has struck again with his First Commandment of hiking, which is when anyone gets into a logical/respectful debate about hiking the AT in different ways or in different uses, Mags strikes with his First Commandment of HYOH. Come on Mags, don't be so self righteous, as you have posted on this topic's thread about four different times that you were, "outta here", but I notice you keep coming back with your numereous postings of HYOH. All this does, in my opinion, is sidetrack the issue being discussed. Hows that for my own self righteousness? You have posted some great information on WB Mags, but no need to attack Tipi (or anyone else) for their opinions if you disagree and why all the b.s.tough guy talk when you do disagree?
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Sidetrack is right now the question is how do we get back on topic? The topic being how do you hike and what do you like about your hiking style? I have been the heavy pack guy, and when I say heavy I mean heavy. I believe there is someone on this site that while I was at a hostel last year during a through hike, they put my pack on a scale and it tipped around 70. I have also done ultra light hikes, I once did a week with a water bottle, and a vinyl tarp, which I had hanging on my back by a string. No joke I didn't eat for the first 3 days because I didn't see anything worth eating. I ran into another hiker who was shocked at my gear and offered me a pack of nabs which I was only able to 3 of b4 I felt full. Funny thing was I was a smoker back then and the hardest part was making it on only 3 packs lol

I go as light as I can cause my old knees like it better. I hike slow cause for me the best part of hiking is the breaks. One thing I recently discovered is the benefit of hiking longer days. I used to limit breaks during the day in order to get to my destination before dinner so I could set up camp and then eat dinner. Now, I have learned the joys of eating dinner in late afternoon, resting a bit, and hiking a few more miles in the evening before setting up camp. That's some of the best hours to hike...cooler, more animals, softer colors, better sounds. Plus, its easier to camp since I don't need as much water to do so. Don't need to camp near springs, which makes for finding better camping spots that aren't so thrashed from overuse.

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman53 View Post
    I go as light as I can cause my old knees like it better. I hike slow cause for me the best part of hiking is the breaks. One thing I recently discovered is the benefit of hiking longer days. I used to limit breaks during the day in order to get to my destination before dinner so I could set up camp and then eat dinner. Now, I have learned the joys of eating dinner in late afternoon, resting a bit, and hiking a few more miles in the evening before setting up camp. That's some of the best hours to hike...cooler, more animals, softer colors, better sounds. Plus, its easier to camp since I don't need as much water to do so. Don't need to camp near springs, which makes for finding better camping spots that aren't so thrashed from overuse.
    That rocks, I had never thought about it b4 but now that you say it most of the times I had seen animals like deer it was near dark.

Yeah, for me it took alot of the urgency out of my day. Sorta "don't worry, just walk". Just walk till you run outta daylight. Allows for alot more breaks, and deys da best part!

Yep all about the breaks lol

I actually hiked the AT in Northern Virginia with a bedroll wrapped around my body, as a youth back in the early 1970's. I think I did it because I read that's the way John Muir hiked through the Sierras. I don't recall having any problems with it. Covered a bunch of miles that way.

Default cool thread!

I think this is a cool thread!

From my personal observations, the folk most anal about having the absolute lightest pack where the same ones that were focused on high mileage and big speed and blew by most of the scenery. On the other end of the spectrum.. most of the folks starting out with real heavy packs (80 pounds plus) either got rid of stuff or cut their hike short.

my view: the only pack that is too heavy is the one you can't carry up and over the mountains. If my pack weighs 55 pounds (and it did a couple of times out of town) and I can manage it, than fine, it isn't too heavy. Of course if I can carry 30 pounds instead of 50 and still be happy so much the better.

I wonder about these hike my own damn hike and don't tell me different type folks. Perhaps there is no need for white blaze at all. Just shut the damn place down. After all, there is no right way, everyone does as he pleases, there is no particular piece of gear needed or not needed. Why even have an information source. Geesh!

David
    hmm guess I am gonna hear about this one!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    The Hike Your Own Hike mantra is also spurious and overly played. When people dredge up the HYOH argument, it's an attempt to stifle conversation and shut down a discussion. All of my words here or before won't stop anyone from hiking their own hike.

Using the HYOH blurb to disengage from the conversation is one way to avoid the question, "Why are some hikers obsessed with miles?"

When you think about it, if everyone followed the HYOH mantra strickly, no one could say anything about any type of backpacking, heavy or light. I guess the HYOH crowd wants no conversation and wants silence. When posts get too unacceptable, people wail out, "Hike your own hike!, which means: keep your thoughts to yourself and be quiet.

And the quote, "Why do people have to debate how other people enjoy themselves?" Because we're on a forum where discussions of all aspects of backpacking occur.
    first this isn't to throw down on TipiWalter. this was just the quote I chose. sorry. There were plenty more for me to choose from. I just snagged this one so I intend no personal bashes on him

haha, but to fullfill the purpose of this thread w/out being too badly beaten up =) (jk) I am a fan of LIGHT... not particularly UL, but light. I can go about a week with a 18-24-ish lb pack... easily; and I've never enjoyed myself more! I take my hammock, silnylon tarp, an alky stove, etc. and I keep my pack (IMHO) fairly light. I stop at all of the balds, rest at the bluffs, take side-trails to all the old setlements, etc. and am able to get in between 10-20 miles a day. Vague... yes, but no day is the same; some days have more "rabbit-trails" than others . I understand that others like lighter packs, and others prefer heavier packs. I really like JustJeff's article on lightweight hiking on his site. It's all about comfort weight! http://tothewoods.net/LightweightHiking.html I could enjoy my hike w/ a 20 pound pack just as much as someone with a 30 pound pack. COMFORT !

As for HYOH, it seems like more of a way to calm down ARGUMENTS... not discussion. This thread looks like, correct me if I'm wrong, it was started for people to DISCUSS their OWN hikes, not throw down on. last time I checked, this wasn't a political mudsling! Calling people slack and lazy is NOT discussing, it's INSULTING!

I'm always looking for something new to try... so I LISTENto what others have to say about their OWN hike, not just sit there waiting to get my own 2 cents into the conversation. And I understand that HMH...DI is just a joke. I read through that PDF and was laughing the whole time!

So "hike your own hike", but I want to hear ALL ABOUT your own hike! Tell me everything! I'll listen ! And I'll tell you all about mine if you want me to. But I mean, who knows, we might have pretty similar hikes! Maybe not. Maybe I'll pick something up from you? or vice versa !

just my 2 cents... but don't worry, I've read through this entire thread b4 posting

cheers!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++