WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trail Runners or Boots?

What do you all hike in? My pack is down to sub 7lbs summer base weight and want to re-evaluate my foot wear. Trying to determine best foot wear selection. What are your thoughts? PS - doing Devils Path in 2 weeks and want propers foot wear for the hike.

Images

I'd say trail runners. It's hard to know how a certain shoe will react. It's best to know how your feet will react. If you havent hiked in a while, you'll probably get some blisters if you go far enough.

I hike regularly and recently tried superfeet in a pair of running shoes. I didn't find them terribly comfortable even after plenty of break in time and wonder if I will have the same out come with trail runners.

Images

trail runners are most likely all you will need especially with such a low pack weight.

Images

Trail runners or boots? Yes.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Garlic
    Images

I use trail runners, New Balance 8XX series.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by jrnj5k View Post
    trail runners are most likely all you will need especially with such a low pack weight.
    Thanks Jrnj5k - I have this distinct feeling I know you from some where...

Images

i doubt that.

You can still buy the very good, beefy, original New Balance 801. The sight is "aperfectdealer.com". I have dealt with them many times. They don't sell your name and address, and they don't bug you between purchases. This is the shoe I wore in 2000, and my pack weight was a little more than yours.

litefoot 2000

I Gotta Get out of Here!! Foyt20's Avatar
    Images

I tried trail runners (although my base weight was no where near yours, around 21 lbs base) and found that my feet were aching around mile 10 or 11. That could have been because of my pack weight, but it also could of been because of the rocks on the section I was doing and I didnt have enough of a shank in my shoes.

Ii just picked up a pair of Merrell Moabs last weekend, for a trip this weekend, and hope that they are the fine line between sneakers and boots.

Images

Why not try Chaco Z/1 sandals w/socks . . . I'm going to do a 3-day, 30ish miler or so with mine real soon and see how they work for me. Quite a few thrus using them these days . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Why not try Chaco Z/1 sandals w/socks . . . I'm going to do a 3-day, 30ish miler or so with mine real soon and see how they work for me. Quite a few thrus using them these days . . .
    True there are quite a few doing that. Not sure how comfortable I am... At least for my next trip - Devils Path - it's awfully rocky, I'm concerned about my feet with rocks.

Thank you for all your posts so far - it's helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Foyt20 View Post
    I tried trail runners (although my base weight was no where near yours, around 21 lbs base) and found that my feet were aching around mile 10 or 11. That could have been because of my pack weight, but it also could of been because of the rocks on the section I was doing and I didnt have enough of a shank in my shoes.

Ii just picked up a pair of Merrell Moabs last weekend, for a trip this weekend, and hope that they are the fine line between sneakers and boots.
    Have you tested the Moabs at all yet before your trip? Do you have any preliminary reviews?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rosborn88 View Post
    Have you tested the Moabs at all yet before your trip? Do you have any preliminary reviews?
    I've got a pair with about 300 miles on them. They are very good but then our feet are so doggone peculiar, you won't know if they're right for you until you try them. I can add that they have excellent traction on wet rock, which a lot of trail runners are miserable at.

I use Nike Air trail runners with Spenco insoles and cushioned socks; they provide a lot of comfort, they're light and I notice less foot pain and foot fatigue when I use them.

Mine have over 1,000 miles on them, I've reglued the insoles with ShoeGoo once.
    RainmakerAT92
    www.trailquest.net

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I've got a pair with about 300 miles on them. They are very good but then our feet are so doggone peculiar, you won't know if they're right for you until you try them. I can add that they have excellent traction on wet rock, which a lot of trail runners are miserable at.
    Awesome, thank you! I'm definitely going to check the Moabs out. Love Merrels with Vibram soles!

Last sentence in my previous post should read:

Mine have over 1,000 miles on them, I've reglued the soles with ShoeGoo once.
    RainmakerAT92
    www.trailquest.net

Images

I must be old school or either I am not afraid to carry stuff in my pack. I have tried trail runners and the roots and rocks kill the bottom of my feet. I vote for the boots. A good pair of boots are WAY better than trail runners I think, but thats just me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by snowhoe View Post
    I must be old school or either I am not afraid to carry stuff in my pack. I have tried trail runners and the roots and rocks kill the bottom of my feet. I vote for the boots. A good pair of boots are WAY better than trail runners I think, but thats just me.
    Yep, you're old school all right! Har har. But if that's what you like and your feet like then stick with 'em.

Images

Teva must be struggling these days. I tore my chaco's to pieces on one 80 mile stretch of trail last year. My teva voltarre's still kicking after all these years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++