WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default 2003 Thru-Hiker Intros

2003 Thru-Hikers sign-in and introduce yourself.

Images

I couldn't decide whether or not to post here, since I will neither be doing a thruhike under some definitions, nor is it sure I will do what I have in mind. Last summer I hiked from Springer to Damascus and absolutely loved it. I left the trail to move to Indiana, go to a wedding, and then go mountaineering in the North. This summer I am seriously considering finishing the trail; that is, hiking from Damascus to Katahdin. I can start around May 12 and hike until late August, which I believe will be enough time.

A bit about me. I just finished graduate school in math at the University of Illinois and now am teaching at Indiana University. Not the most thrilling of places, but closer to my beloved Smokys. I did the Boy Scout thing when I was younger, then did nothing outdoors for a while, and then started up again in the fall of 1999. I like most outdoor activities, but my interests these days seem to be either long distance stuff or long term mountaineering. My main problem in committing to finishing the AT is that it would be my entire summer. I wouldn't get to spend time out West or in the North. But, I have many months to get all that sorted out.

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

I've delayed my start date to sometime late March, perhaps early April to avoid as much cold weather as possible and having to ship gear. I intently look forward to meeting, passing and being passed by all you 03'ers.
    Everyday spent waiting on March is a day spent waiting to see new and beautiful sights, hear and feel the music of nature, and meet more of the most wonderful people on Earth...Hikers!
    Last edited by wacocelt; 12-02-2002 at 13:58.
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

Images

Wac--

It's been said before here, but go get BOTH Ray Jardine's book ("Beyond Backpacking") AND the newest edition of Colin Fletcher ("The Complete Walker").

Seriously consider tarping or a Hennessey Hammock. Post a gear list sometime for all of us to whine about.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

I'm starting at Mt.K around June 14, I hike often now and average about 20 miles a day on a week long hike.

Until I complete my study at Gallaudet U. Deafsmart's Avatar

Unhappy Cancelled: 2003 Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker intro

My hiking for Year 2003 has been cancelled. I may go with my new boyfriend Aleks from Russia in modify direction for southbound next year, if it remains feasible. I will see, then.
    Last edited by Deafsmart; 11-30-2002 at 00:23.

Default Is it March Yet???!!!!!!!

Nice to meet ya, boys and girls! I and my girl, Stephanie, will be startin March 11 (mabye a few days sooner)and goin as far as we can in 6 months....hopefully all the way to Mt. K! Look forward to meetin ya'll in the beautiful north GA mountains! I can't WAIT to get out of the city and back home with the bears, bugs, and blisters!!!
    Focus Determines Reality

hi! I'm chief (trail name which i continue to claim). in 2000 i completed 1400 or so miles of what was to be a thru-hike. a severe concussion cut me short of my goal. i hiked from ga to ny, then flip-flopped to maine (running late, too much partying in towns). climbed katahdin, then headed southbound into the 100 mi wilderness. half way thru a slippery root introduced my head to a rock. made it to monson, though i don't know how. anyways, i'm trying again in 2003 (against the wishes of loved ones). will start between late march and early april. hope to see you all out there.

I'm planning a northbound thru-hike for 2003. Currently, I'm considering a start date of late March or early April.

Alison

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default 2003 Thru-hike Start Date

I'm headed out this time on 3/29. Started out with my partner "BA Turtle" on 3/17 in 2001 and got slammed on day 3 with a horrendous snow storm. Prefer to let the weird March weather blow through a little this time before heading out. Based on my pace in 2001 I am planning on hitting Damascus in time for Trail Days and have no doubt that I will reach Katahdin before Baxter closes.
    Anyone else headed out in late March ??
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default Toot..

Look forward to meeting you at Trail Days. Will BA Turtle be with you? Would love to see her again. Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Hi, I'm Journey and my 2003 start date is March 15th. As my departure grows near, I'm continually thinking about how much I appreciate the love and support that I have been shown these past few months while I prepare for what will be the most exciting and difficult adventure I've ever been on. Friends, family, the Trail Journals community and now whiteblaze.net have all helped to fill my backpack.

Thanks Easy and Kerosene for this great new site.

Journey~www.trailjournals.com/Journey03
    There is a destiny that makes us brothers. None goes his way alone. All that we send into the lives of others, comes back into our own. Unknown

Possible 2003 thru-hiker

Default Schroedinger's Raccoon

I recently learned that my current job will be going away at just the right time for the start of a thru-hike. I'm not sure whether or not I can swing it financially, but even if I can't, taking a few weeks to go hiking might be a good thing for me anyway.

So I'm going to plan out a thru-hike as if I were actually going to do with it, and show up at Springer at some point next spring unless my current job decides to keep me. We'll see how far north I get before I have to go home to focus on my job search, or to start my next job. Perhaps I'll leave the trail in Georgia. Perhaps I'll leave it in North Carolina. Or perhaps I'll get to Maine. Who knows?

Hmm. Come to think of it, that's the situation that people who really do intend to get all the way to Katahdin face, too....
    "Raccoon" aka Susan Davis <[email protected]>

Cool Hey all

Hey there, This is Mntman. I'm starting my through hike on or around March 1, I prefer the cooler weather. Anyway, see you on the trail. Happy hiking.

We plan to do a northbound thru-hike this year, but we cannot begin until after spring semester--which means early May. We plan to take it pretty easy at first to avoid injuries to our 50+ year old joints and bones, and we'd probably have trouble finishing a straight-through hike by October 15. (We're currently looking at routing options, as discussed in another thread.)

We're both incredibly excited ("obsessed" might be more accurate) at the prospect of this hike. Next semester is going to drag!!

Duane & Laura Bender
    Rogers, Arkansas

Default Start Date

Didn't get to finish my hike this year due to injury, so I decided that I will be going out again, starting at the beginning. I will be starting at Springer on March 29th or 30th.

Smile

Hi, My name is CeeJay and my husband Gary and I are planning a thru hike of the AT starting March 10th give or take a day or two. We are trying to get in shape, gather our stuff to pack, and plan our mail drops and food supplies. If anyone has words of wisdom to pass along regarding food, mail drops, getting in shape, etc. Please send it our way. [email protected]

Hi everyone! This is Sassy from Acworth, GA (~30 min north of Atlanta). I plan on heading out April 1st with my husband, Kodiak. We are newly married and have decided that this is the best time ever to take on the long journey. I am a pediatric emergency room nurse who has already been granted a LOA and Kodiak is a full time student with 2 classes left. He made it from Springer to PA before having to come home in 1999, so some may have already met him. We can't wait to get started, leave town, and meet some new folks! We'll see most of you guys on the Trail and hopefully others at Trail Days! Take care!

Sassy

Hey, howdy! I'm grease monkey biker trash turned hiker trash. I hiked Springer to Troutdale Va. last year and plan to Thru-hike this year.(of course I planned to thruhike last year as well but, well, you know.)

Thumbs up

hey patrick's the name, and i'm hoping to get my start in early april, i've never hiked before, but i am looking forward to the learning experience

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++