WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

It's hard to believe its been four years since I posted here. Did my spring walk through on Wednesday this week. The shelter is in good condition, three of the bear cables are fully operational and the 4th is functional. A new picnic table went in a year ago, the moldering privy is in good shape and the spring is clear and cold, as is the one at the camp spot 0.4 north. My entire section is looking good, except as to follow, and the view from the top of Big Bald is still fabulous.

We had a wet summer last year and the trail descending off the shoulder of the bald into the woods was a sloppy mess. I cleaned out the water bars and hope that will help some. After the late snow in 2010 I added some blazes to try and help keep folks on the trail through this stretch.

Saw 6 thru hikers on Wednesday. Three of them had started March 2 and so were on their first month anniversary. All were glad to finally have a day without walking in snow and were looking forward to getting to Erwin.
    Onward. Furthur!
    -<>-Doug
    GAME2k

I have newfound respect for the phrase "within walking distance." -Welches

Images

Anybody familiar with hanging (hammock) at or near Bald Mountain shelter on the AT? Would it be more like being on Standing Indian Mt (mild, and a similar elevation), or more like Roan Mt (not so mild)?? Expecting low 60s nearby, wondering how much cooler it might get up there, and how windy. Pics of the shelter area indicate there should be plenty of trees, but don't know how old the pics are.

Me and another dad are taking some scouts up to a farm/camp near Big Bald. Scouts will do about an 8 mile hike from Sam's Gap up to Big Bald and down the southeast side of the bald to base camp near Jim Creek. Me and the other dad are looking to camp somewhere on the AT while we're up there and then meet up with the boys at base camp the next a.m.

The other dad is not a hiker, but is using mostly my extra gear which still pretty light. Still, I'm expecting he won't want to go much further than the shelter which would be almost 8 miles. Any great hanging spots nearby that we shouldn't pass up, even if we have to hike further?

p.s. bear cables at the shelter?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

I've had to give up this section, but was there in March of this year. Yes there are bear cables, yes there are lots of trees suitable for hanging hammocks, although I say that having never hung one there, lol. Not sure where "low 60s nearby" will be to answer your other question. Roan is what, 1,000 feet higher and so is almost always cooler. Big Bald can be quite temperate in the summer.

There is also a campsite 0.4 north on the AT with a good spring if you don't find what you need at the shelter. Enjoy your hike.
    Onward. Furthur!
    -<>-Doug
    GAME2k

I have newfound respect for the phrase "within walking distance." -Welches

Images

Thanks DDoug. Weather channel has low 60s for low temps in the surrounding area (i.e. random towns north of Asheville). I'm going to plan for some wind and lows in the mid 50s, but that might just be wishful thinking for these dog days.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

It is hot. Even up there. You may get lucky and get mid 50's at night, but your daytime temps will be warm, the air is mostly still, and there are a lot of stretches with no shade. Thunderstorms have been daily, so the water will be good, but thunderstorms. Plenty of hammock hangs around the shelter plus nearby campsite. Berries are starting to come in up there, so you get a bonus.

Images

Didn't see any berries but otherwise you were right on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Kate Chopin

There is room for just a few tents in the vicinity of this shelter, for those who like to tent near shelters.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Journal Entries
    Images

Some minor updates on this place.

Enjoyed this shelter this last week, as water is abundant pretty much everywhere along this section, AND the bear cables make keeping your food bag safe from bears (and raccoons & mice) ridiculously easy. The slats in the sleeping area can be a blessing or an annoyance, depending on how you like to stretch out in a shelter -- or hate people who grab too much space when doing so!

One sad fact is that the mice have completely chewed up the shelter log.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++