WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Cool Ranking Hiking Speed

Would i be considered a slow hiker if i only do 10 miles a day?
    Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Images

That and if anyone Has Idea's or any info on backpacking/Hiking Please tell me ,i Wanna learn as much as possible from Seasoned WB's-TEACH ME lol
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanhkr23 View Post

Depends on the terrain, your level of conditioning and how long it takes you to do the 10 miles. Starting out you probably want to take it easy, maybe 7 miles a day for a few days, then bump it up a mile or so per day and work your way up. If you are in reasonably good condition, and not over weight too much, at the end of 3 weeks you should be able to click off 15 mile days in average terrain.

Also remember, it's the journey that counts and you are out there to have fun and enjoy nature. Don't be too concerned about miles.

Happy hiking.

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Depends on how long it takes you to do it. Could hike it fast, but just like fewer miles and more time in camp. Met one guy who stayed at every shelter, no matter how close they were to each other.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

i do a mile in about 30 minutes, But i also like to stop and take pictures and enoy where i am
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

2 miles per hour is an average comfortable speed with time for pics. Like Kanati says, you should plan to start slower with fewer miles and work your way up to more miles if you like. Too many people start with heavy packs and try to do too many miles and get hurt. Work your way up to getting your trail legs and you'll hit sections where you'll easily do 26+ a day. He's also right about enjoying the journey and not being overly concerned about the miles. You'll do just fine! Enjoy your hike!!!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Geezer

i do a mile in about 30 minutes, But i also like to stop and take pictures and enoy where i am
    Two miles an hour is pretty average, I would think. If there are steep uphills, two miles an hour would be pretty good.

But don't worry about applying tags to your hiking or hiking style, and resist those nimrods who will try to pigeon hole you by saying you are hiking too slow, too fast, or too whatever. You hike at the pace YOU feel comfortable.

If you want to do more miles per day you are actually better off injury wise hiking more hours at a pace that feels right rather than trying to hike faster than your "normal" pace. Going faster than natural, especially downhill, leads to knee problems. sometimes it's hard not to, though, when there is a five mile downhill to the road crossing leading to town.
    Frosty

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Many Walks View Post
    Depends on how long it takes you to do it. Could hike it fast, but just like fewer miles and more time in camp. Met one guy who stayed at every shelter, no matter how close they were to each other.
    He's probably still trying to get away from Stratton Pond
    Frosty

Do you mean is 10 miles a fast day, or do you mean is 10 miles/day a fast average thru-hike?

I haven't hiked the AT. I can only speak from hiking the Fundy Footpath (rugged with alot of net elevation gain), and some medium and easy trails. Total weight on feet slows you done fairly linearly. You can go 10% faster if you are 10% lighter, total weight on feet. So you shouldn't really try and compare yourself to people of comparable work capacity that are carrying much more weight or much less weight. Also, I found a rugged trail with alot of net elevation gain slowed me down alot, whereas I didn't find much difference between easy and medium.

I haven't done any hikes over 5 days that I can remember. Totally different kettle of fish I should think.

Images

Thanks, why do people stop at every Shelter,I like looking around them if im not staying there,but actually spending the night? WHY?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Thanks, why do people stop at every Shelter,I like looking around them if im not staying there,but actually spending the night? WHY?
    fear and laziness

Images

Yeah,i mean i consider myse;f pretty quick,but i dont wanna do like 20 miles a day, you know? why rush something like the AT? im not to worried about cold weather seasons. so i kinda wanna hike slower.From living in fairbanks AK a little 10 degree weather is like fall for me .
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

I have seen young kids like 13 do 20+ a day but I like doing between 7 and 11, although I have a week coming up I think I want to push for 20+.

Images

HMMM,i think theres something wrong with my laptop, it either doesen type the letters i push or goese capital,starting to get really annoying
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

I think if your are young and lean and light enough you can do some 20 mile days without feeling it any more than someone like myself pushing a 14 mile day. Don't feel like you have to slow down with fat old farts like me in order to enjoy your hike.

Images

I hate I walked so fast through alot of places. It's to your benefit to get the best of what's out there and sometimes obsessing over miles can take away from that.

It's nice to be able to hike with your head up to, rather than hangin low staring at your feet as you trudge along. Limiting the total weight on your feet enables you to do that, but again its all relative. Also, nothing wrong with a good long trudge now and then either.

Images

Yeah its a great feeling to achieve milage but not if you dnt see anything
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

First time I hiked the Fundy Footpath I hiked really slow, and still didn't see much. Still had a blast, but later learned to hike it and enjoy it alot more, fast or slow. I think if your only doing a long trail once though, it makes sense to try and keep your head up most of the time, take as much in as you can. Not sure how good I would be at that yet.

I think its easier with less weight though, not so much to hike faster, just to see more.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++