WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default Miss Janet's Hostel in a Box

When I closed Miss Janet's House Hiker Bunk and Breakfast at the end of 2007 it was with the intent and desire to reopen as The Erwin Hiking Center by spring of this year. All of the equipment, mattresses, linens, kitchen supplies, momentos and everything else went into temp storage until the right location was found and secured. This became known as my "Hostel in a Box" and I looked forward to finding a new home for everything. With the current housing situation and the state of the economy... and a few other hurdles... the plans for the Erwin Hiking Center are on hold. SO....

I have come to the decision that continuing to pay to store these things is not the most cost effective thing to do. Logically, I know that these "things" can mostly be replaced when I eventually reopen my hike business. But my heart is having a tough time dealing with "letting go" of these well used and well loved "things". Part of the problem is the memories that many of these items evoke... another part of the problem is that some of these things were donated to me for Miss Janet's House and for the benefit of all hikers.

I have decided to RE-Donate many items to other hostels along the AT and to sell some things in yard sales. I will find a way to keep some of the most important things that can not be replaced and save them for the future. If anyone knows of household type things any hostel might use then please feel free to ask... I may just have things they need.

Is anyone free after Trail Days and Hardcore that wants to help with a big yard sale??

Images

After Hardcore I'm going to my cousins in Asheville but I could stop and help out a day if that would help you. Probably on tuesday.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

I might be able to help you out too Miss Janet.. either with finding a place to store stuff or just in general.. PM me with what you need...

Images

i could help out tues after trail daze as well
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Count us in.

Images

Thumbs up Tuesday, then!!!

Thanks everyone. I will see you all around Damascus next week and we will talk about it!

Hi Miss Janet. If you still have hostel gear you might contact Wood's Hole Hostel near Pearisburg and see if you have anything they might need - 540-921-3444. Neville (Miss Tillie's granddaughter) and Michael opened the place up in mid-April - you may have heard. They have got a great thing going there.
    BTW, I was sorry to hear you closed shop. It makes me a little sad to think there is no longer a home for my blown out boots in your boot garden. I hope at some point the Erwin Hiking Center might become a reality. Have you seen Kaluha lately? -Packmule

Images

Default The boots live on...

Quote Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
    Hi Miss Janet. If you still have hostel gear you might contact Wood's Hole Hostel near Pearisburg and see if you have anything they might need - 540-921-3444. Neville (Miss Tillie's granddaughter) and Michael opened the place up in mid-April - you may have heard. They have got a great thing going there.
    BTW, I was sorry to hear you closed shop. It makes me a little sad to think there is no longer a home for my blown out boots in your boot garden. I hope at some point the Erwin Hiking Center might become a reality. Have you seen Kaluha lately? -Packmule
    Hi there! The boot garden has gone to live at another wonderful place on the trail. I donated several things to Rambunny and I think the Boot Garden will be happy there.

I will call Neville and see if she needs anything.

Default miss janets is dead

never again will cheesy bread waft its economical waftings. nor tiz their reason to make biscit. or many fine manner of bacon. eggs are sad even. haveing tiny minds with witch to be said sad. frozen burgers in freezers are talking of the horror. the loss. the lack of boot warmers on the southern trail is now a matter of national security. even the spice in baltimore jacks spice bags wanes and falls away from the news. no boot warmers? no water bowl for non fabion four legged hostel stayers? bah humbug i say! and to all a good night sir. i say again, hey,..whats up with the apparent lack of multi milionairs philanthrosizing all over miss janet? seriously folks. we say goodby to janets and next is frikkin room 23! hell no! we wont go!

working closely with god and artworld to secure funding for new appalachian trail to be built over the old one complete with hostels for all.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    working closely with god and artworld to secure funding for new appalachian trail to be built over the old one complete with hostels for all.
    can we have carpet this time? magic carpet if you can find enough, if not anti-static carpet so we don't fry our motherboards just when we need to order up a miss janet special or pizza to go

the new trail has a helocopter that moves miss janets whole hostel between tree strategic locations so i can stay their more during a hike.
    matthewski

that's taking hostel in a box a bit far ...and to new heights... badump

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    that's taking hostel in a box a bit far ...and to new heights... badump
    I guess the Rumors of your Demise were Greatly Exagerated

++ New Posts ++