WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default summer temp in NC TN

What low temperatures should I anticipate along the NC-TN section in late July and August?

Images

low 67 high 90

Images

Default lower

Quote Originally Posted by notorius tic View Post
    low 67 high 90
    Those sound like numbers for a town in that area. Along the trail, I'm sure it will get to 90's sometimes, mostly 80s. Lows should be more around 55-60, although it might be 70 at hiker midnight on some sultry nights. Occasional dip to 50 possible.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Depends on elevation.

If you're in the valley in Hot Springs, you might have an overnight low in the 60's, maybe even 70's with some clouds following a hot day.

On that same night, if you're on the ridgeline in the Smokies or Roan Mountain, temps may get down in the 40's.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Yeah, I would plan for 50 as the lowest low. Though it really depends on the weather pattern that week -- it could be a lot warmer, even in the mountains.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Depends on elevation.

If you're in the valley in Hot Springs, you might have an overnight low in the 60's, maybe even 70's with some clouds following a hot day.

On that same night, if you're on the ridgeline in the Smokies or Roan Mountain, temps may get down in the 40's.

I was at Overmountain Shelter 1st week of August last year and temps dipped into the 40's that night...

Images

Bottom line, and I think the object of your question . . . minimal sleeping bag and maybe convertible pants (zip on the bottom leggings when it gets cool at night) and a light shell jacket (i.e. Marmot Precip) should be all you need.

Default Thanks!

That's about what I was thinking. Sounds like my fleece bag wouldn't quite do it.

Images
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

And humid!

hiked from watatuga lake to damascus during mid june last year. all i had was a fleece blanket, like one you get from a hotel. I was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red 68 View Post
    hiked from watatuga lake to damascus during mid june last year. all i had was a fleece blanket, like one you get from a hotel. I was fine.
    You got lucky, in early June we had nights between Bly Gap and Wayah Gap in the forties, you'd have frozen your a$$ off. I'd say you need one-inch of insulation, that'll take you to forty.

Images

really cold nights will be few and far between though. most days will be hot, honestly
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

I hiked in GA on the AT from July 31 to Aug 3 in '03. Had a 45 degree bag and was COLD at night. I took that bag right back to REI and bought a warmer one when I got home!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

++ New Posts ++