WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Just got accepted to The SCA

Just got accepted to do a 3 week trail crew for thesca.org Ive been waiting so long for this. Cant wait

Great news! Have a blast.

FB
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Congratulations! I'm a long-time contributor to the Student Conservation Association, which I see as offering people a lot of opportunities to experience the outdoors and "do some good".

Where will you be posted?

Make sure that you tell us about the experience when you return!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Make sure that you tell us about the experience when you return!
    try to stop him

seriously though, have a great time. glad to see your getting involved in things at such a young age.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Congrats!!! Have yourself a blast!!
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I like Life,Life likes Me,Life and I very fully Agree.. Saint Alfonzo's Avatar
    Images

Thats great news, have a good time, remember, SAFETY FIRST. Enjoy and take care...
    They never get old, They always stay new, Those three little words, PLEASE and THANK YOU.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

Wow....now THAT'S confusing. I thought that you meant the SCA.org, which I have been a memeber of since 1978.

Images

just got my crew changed. Get this i was in pennsylvania. But they said i had to much experience for the group so they moved me to YELLOWSTONE NATIONAl park. I was like OMFG i cant believe that im going to yellowstone for 1 month for free. At yellowstone im going to be removing a 50ft bridge.

Good for you, man. I was part of a 6 week crew on the CDT in Idaho a decade ago. It is something I'd never forget. A few things to consider:

You will be "sponsored" in part by a person or group to be there. At some point they'll give you the name and address. Some gardening club in Ohio was mine. Make sure you send them a letter after you're done with pictures and such. They'll probably sponsor someone again if'n you play it right.

Stay in touch with the group you work with. It'll be easier since you'll all have Facebook.

Pictures. Lots.

If think that you might eventually want to work for the park be sure to stay in touch with the ranger in charge of your project. Since you're probably in a front country group you might see them every week. Our project was 15 miles back from any road so we only saw ours twice (at the beginning and end). Years later I wanted to track her down to get a job one of their fire teams. No luck. If I'd stayed in touch I would at least have had a reference.

Have a BLAST!

Listen to what Johnny Thunder said, I worked for them and then later with the National Park. You've got to network it. Stay in touch with the Ranger cause he can help get you hired if not with him he might know of another Park/Ranger that is hiring and since you've done an excellent job that will go along way.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

SCA is a great program. I just wished some of the government workers that they send people to lived up to their end of the deal.

I tried one of the SCA internships a number of years ago at one of the Forest Service offices after I graduated high school. The guy that they matched me up with to work under was a jerk. I was supposed to room with the regular summer interns at a local college, then got moved to his house, then finally was moved into a camper next to a motel by myself.

Then my boss made me into the ultimate go-for or grunt worker, and would not offer any info on his job, duties, and what we were doing on a project. I didn't learn one thing from him. Then ended up leaving me alone for a half the time so he could earn extra cash at another job. But when I was out with contract workers, they would show me everything and let me get some hands on experience.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    If think that you might eventually want to work for the park be sure to stay in touch with the ranger in charge of your project. Since you're probably in a front country group you might see them every week. Our project was 15 miles back from any road so we only saw ours twice (at the beginning and end). Years later I wanted to track her down to get a job one of their fire teams. No luck. If I'd stayed in touch I would at least have had a reference.

Have a BLAST!
    im not in a frontcountry crew. i will be 12 miles away from people the whole time. so i will probably see the ranger only in the beggining and end.

Quote Originally Posted by Outwardboundbackpack View Post
    just got my crew changed. Get this i was in pennsylvania. But they said i had to much experience for the group so they moved me to YELLOWSTONE NATIONAl park. I was like OMFG i cant believe that im going to yellowstone for 1 month for free. At yellowstone im going to be removing a 50ft bridge.

Enjoy yourself, It's a great opportunity, but be careful. There's lots of ways to get hurt, permanently. Sometimes a bridge member can be under tension and when it comes loose it can do lots of damage. I knew a guy who was decapitated by a cable coming loose once. Just sayin.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

So how many programs does SCA have now? I did their internship program for college students, then they had projects setup or general duties for high school students at the parks. Then the trail crews everywhere.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 05-28-2009 at 23:17.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    So how many programs does SCA have now? I did their internship program for college students, then they had projects setup or general duties for high school students at the parks. Then the trail crews everywhere.
    they can have a couple to a hundered. it depends on how much money they got so they can use it on the food and stuff.

++ New Posts ++