WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Just for giggles, I did a quick cost summary to compare with the $5.00 dry meals from Walmart.

sauce $2.00
    whole wheat pasta $1.25
    Ground chuck 1 1/3 lbs $3.20
    Total $6.45
    Per meal (1/4) $1.82

Not bad. I guess throw in a bit for parmesan
    Yep and it tastes a million times better as well And fills ya up!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

This side of the dirt
    Images

When I do my "sauce" I don't use sauce at all. I start with canned tomato paste. Mix in my spices - spread on parchment paper and dry until it is brittle. Once dry break it into chunks and grind it into a fine powder in my Magic Bullet.

I place this fine powder in a small zip lock, place the small zip lock into the large one that has the dehydrated pasta and sausage, add a small zip lock of cheese and close.

When I get to camp I heat the water, empty the "sauce" and sausage into the large bag - add the hot water and put the freezer bag into the cozy. When it is "cooking" I set up my tent.

By the time the tent is setup dinner is just about done.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    Ii just finished drying some sliced up meatballs! Now to go add them to my already dried macaroni and sauce. mmmm
    Oh man, good idea! Thanks Russb!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by singingpilgrim View Post
    I love this site. I was just thinking earlier this evening "hmm.. I wonder if I could dehydrate spaghetti sauce.."

Ahh it was you that could not grasp the pebble, and dug the thread from the past.

You must walk the trail in penance.......
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
    So I just spent 12 hours trying to dehydrate 6 cups of pasta sauce. Temp was in 170 F (as low as it would go) the oven was cracked open about an inch (i do not have a dehydrator on my oven) and the sauce was still wet on the bottom. I dont think i put too much in there, it was about 1/4- 1/2 inch deep. is is supposed to still be moist?
    The texture in my product is like fruit leather. I have been told that it is best to use a sauce that has little or no oil and little or no cheese (do not add cheese, carry it separately). The batch I am drying as I write this is throwing a little oil around the edges, so I am thinking it had too much fat in it to be ideal. Never less, I am using it later this week, so as long as I can get it to the fruit leather stage, I will be good, I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Mac View Post
    When I do my "sauce" I don't use sauce at all. I start with canned tomato paste. Mix in my spices - spread on parchment paper and dry until it is brittle. Once dry break it into chunks and grind it into a fine powder in my Magic Bullet.

I place this fine powder in a small zip lock, place the small zip lock into the large one that has the dehydrated pasta and sausage, add a small zip lock of cheese and close.

When I get to camp I heat the water, empty the "sauce" and sausage into the large bag - add the hot water and put the freezer bag into the cozy. .
    This is an excellent idea and perhaps superior to simply drying bottled sauce as I have done. I guarantee, I will try it this winter. I would do it sooner but I have no more than a month of walking time so time is short.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Ahh it was you that could not grasp the pebble, and dug the thread from the past.

You must walk the trail in penance.......
    Personally, I cannot grasp the reasoning. I have not seen the thread before, therefore it is new to me. Those who have grown weary of a discussion of, say, spaghetti sauce can simply not read it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
    So I just spent 12 hours trying to dehydrate 6 cups of pasta sauce. Temp was in 170 F (as low as it would go) the oven was cracked open about an inch (i do not have a dehydrator on my oven) and the sauce was still wet on the bottom. I dont think i put too much in there, it was about 1/4- 1/2 inch deep. is is supposed to still be moist?
    I see a couple of causes here. A half inch deep spread is too deep. You need to get it thinner, to less than a quarter inch.

It’s best to have air flowing across the top of the tray to help drying, but I’m not sure how you could do this without a dehydrator.

Also, 170 F is a little high for dehydrating, and could cause the sauce to start cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So after dehydrating the pasta and pasta sauce, can you just put it in a Ziploc bag and push the air out? Should I put an oxygen obsorber packet it with the Ziploc bag?

When I was into my heavy gluten phase I processed beaucoup vegetarian spaghetti for my backpacking trips. Here's how I did it---

** Cook up one box of spaghetti, drain water etc.
    ** Add sufficient pasta sauce from jars of your choice.
    ** Mix everything together, add some mushrooms if desired.
    * The spaghetti meal is now ready to eat but don't eat it and instead place all of it on dehydrator trays with silicone sheets and have at it.

A full box of noodles with sauce once dried will fill a one gallon ziploc bag---see below---and this bag lasted me 9 days on the trail as dinners.

TRIP 137 014-L.jpg

Btw, to prepare just place a certain amt of dried spaghetti in cook pot, add sufficient water and bring to boil and shut off stove---place in pot cozy for 30 minutes and eat.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    When I dry sauces I line with parchment paper (makes it a lot easier to remove!). Once the top is set (no wet areas, tacky is OK) I flip it over to get the back side dry evenly. Not everyone does that step, but for me, I like doing it

Then once dry I let cool, break up the leather, freeze for an hour or so, then whirl in my blender to get a powder.

Unless its real chunky and relatively dry I always use parchment paper on the trays to start. I do a top to bottom rotation and when the top is set, flip the food over without the parchment paper. It can be a juggling act.

Others are right, you need the airflow, that's important.

This week I've done jambalaya from the Hungry Hammock Hanger and Honeymoon Lake Cheese Noodles from "Backpack Gourmet". Waiting for plastic rolls to arrive so that I can vacuum seal the individual meals.

Making your own is better and cheaper than buying meals.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Mac View Post

When I get to camp I heat the water, empty the "sauce" and sausage into the large bag - add the hot water and put the freezer bag into the cozy. When it is "cooking" I set up my tent.

By the time the tent is setup dinner is just about done.
    This is almost exactly what I've been looking for!
    Question: Do you think it's possible to use the powdered like a seasoning? I.e.: have a jar of the stuff to scoop out and add to plain Ramen noodles? I envision homemade (read healthy option) Italian, Curry, or Chinese-style powdered bark to liven up trail-bought staples.
    "Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable."
    --Sydney J. Harris

Looks tasty!

I drive off most of the water while it’s still in the pot, makes a huge difference.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    ...then whirl in my blender to get a powder.
    does this make it easier to reconstitute it?

Quote Originally Posted by tommaloney View Post
    does this make it easier to reconstitute it?
    Increasing the surface area of any dried food reduces the time needed for reconstituting.
    Wayne

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++