WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dehydrating Pasta sauce

So I just spent 12 hours trying to dehydrate 6 cups of pasta sauce. Temp was in 170 F (as low as it would go) the oven was cracked open about an inch (i do not have a dehydrator on my oven) and the sauce was still wet on the bottom. I dont think i put too much in there, it was about 1/4- 1/2 inch deep. is is supposed to still be moist?

Wandering Vagabond
    Images

Could be it has a large amount of oil or margarine in it. If thats the case it will never dehydrate. I know how you feel, the same thing happened to me when I tried to dehydrate some store bought alfredo sauce. It came out the same way, ended up tossing it in the trash. The one thing I did learn is that not everything can be dehydrated.

half inch deep is a lot! Use 1/4 inch as the maximum, not the minimum. Also, part way though you will want to "flip" it, you will know when.

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

Agree with russb, you have to flip the sauce leather todry the bottom.
    We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking. Finis Mitchell

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Now that you mention it, I think I too flipped the "leather" to finish drying it.

Also, I set the temp higher (midway between 200 and "W") and watched pretty close.

Did you prop the door open a bit to let water vapor escape??

I do remember chopping up the leather in a food processor when dry, to get a powder that reconstituted better/faster.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

When I dry sauces I line with parchment paper (makes it a lot easier to remove!). Once the top is set (no wet areas, tacky is OK) I flip it over to get the back side dry evenly. Not everyone does that step, but for me, I like doing it

Then once dry I let cool, break up the leather, freeze for an hour or so, then whirl in my blender to get a powder.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Hmmmm how long does it normally take?

Quote Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
    Hmmmm how long does it normally take?
    Depends on the sauce, humidity and your dehydrator really (and how thick it is spread).

Figure at least 6 hours and up.

Also, sauces with corn syrup can take longer to dry.
    Trail Cooking

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

Keep the sauce thinner in the middle of your tray where sauces tend to pool a bit too and never more than 1/4" thick. Others have mentioned flipping and that is helpful.

Good sauce shouldn't have corn syrup or margarine... only a little olive oil and not enough oil to impede drying (sorry - I'm a bit of a sauce snob - lol)

Images

I did a batch for the first time last night started it at 5 pm and stopped it at 9 am today when I got up. I just threw it in food processor did'nt get turned totally to powder but close vacuum sealed individual servings and now stored in freezer.

On the corn syrup: that is an American thing. Fortunately due to backlash from consumers in the past year, HFCS is rapidly disappearing from products. Particularly Kraft has pulled it out of quite a bit - from sauces, to salad dressings, to drinks and more.

Of course they will ignore the fact that corn prices had gone through the ceiling last year ....

Until recently corn syrup has been one of the cheapest sweeteners on the market in the US. No one else uses it like the US does.
    Trail Cooking

Best to spread it as thin as you can over as many trays as you have.
    As the others have said, it dehydrates better and faster if you flip it. I usually do it half way through.
    Even if your dehydrator has a fan, it helps to rotate the trays.
    In the case of the excalibur type dehydratos with the fan in the back, rotate the tray 180 degrees half way through the dehydrating process. Remember the outside will dehydrate faster then the center so make the center thinner then the outside.

Finally, the most important part of the dehydration is the flow of air, not the temperature. The temperature is to kill bacteria, the air flow is for the dehydration.

Hawk

Images

Instead of dehydrating pasta sauce, try dehydrating tomato sauce and then bringing the packets of dry spaghetti sauce to add to mix during re-hydration. I've done it alot and my "Backpacker spaghetti" is one of my kids favorite trail meals.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

If you have a garden or even a few patio grape tomato plants , try dehydrating them. One plant will yeild a few gallons and dehydrating is great way to use the excess. It takes a little work to halve the little grape tomatoes and scoop out the seeds. The flavor of these will ad to any meal out there and I have used a hand full , a little olive oil, some dry basil simmered until tender and mixed with pasta. yummy!

Images

sixhusbands - it's also tasty if you halve the little tomatoes, drizzle them lightly with olive oil and then roast them in the oven before you dry them - we do this for a Roasted Tomato Dip and it's quite tasty

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    Then once dry I let cool, break up the leather, freeze for an hour or so, then whirl in my blender to get a powder.
    yet another ingenious post from sarbar. you are my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Instead of dehydrating pasta sauce, try dehydrating tomato sauce and then bringing the packets of dry spaghetti sauce to add to mix during re-hydration. I've done it alot and my "Backpacker spaghetti" is one of my kids favorite trail meals.

Along the same lines, could you use the tomato paste in a tube and water? Tubes are small and conentrate goes a long way. Gonna get a tube to practice with.
    If it feels good, Do It.
    If it feels really good, Don't Stop.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie2008 View Post

Along the same lines, could you use the tomato paste in a tube and water? Tubes are small and conentrate goes a long way. Gonna get a tube to practice with.
    Even easier, get tomato powder. Found in health food stores or at online distributors like harmony house.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    Even easier, get tomato powder. Found in health food stores or at online distributors like harmony house.

Well for me part of the fun of hiking is the preperation, I like to make use of those bad weather days .

Images

I'm the same way medicjimr - it adds to the fun pre-trip and to the anticipation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++